• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chip deletes - can features be added later?

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Magnetewan River near Georgian Bay Ontario, Canada
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Ice Blue, 2023 Lightning Star White
Occupation
Retired
Hi all first post, Premium Mach Ex owner thinking of ordering Lightning but really want heated mirrors and steering wheel, scale I could pass. Dealer may have one turned loose but can these items be added after the fact? Any hope down the road?
Love the car and the Lightning test drive, only got the Mach e because the order bank was closed.
Sponsored

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Hi all first post, Premium Mach Ex owner thinking of ordering Lightning but really want heated mirrors and steering wheel, scale I could pass. Dealer may have one turned loose but can these items be added after the fact? Any hope down the road?
Love the car and the Lightning test drive, only got the Mach e because the order bank was closed.
The internet says they can ā€¦.my dealer isnā€™t so sure.
I will say this ā€¦..my super duty I feel my heated steering wheel is/was a must.

I got the dreaded. Steering wheel delete in my lightning. ā€¦.I still took it , and for some reason the cab climate is so comfortable I really donā€™t miss it , but whenever I drive my 22 f250 I feel I always need it on. I have no clue why but I feel a lot more comfortable in the lightning for some reason. And this was when it was 5 degrees with -20 windshield. It was just really nice in the cabin of the lightning. I took the f250 around the city the Same day to keep the fluids flowing and it took forever to warm up other then itā€™s steaming wheel.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
As of right now, the heated steering wheel is supposed to be added back in with a retrofit kit later this year. But we don't know anything more than that, details sometime soon-ish. I'll believe it when I see it. Would really like to have the heated steering wheel, but agree that the cabin is comfortable without and heats up quick.

No plan to offer scales at all for the 2023 model year and we don't know anything else. If Ford brings them back using the same components later, then we should be able to add them in as they're modular. If you pull them from a '22 that has them and place them on a '23, they work.

The cabin intrusion sensor seems to have no way of being added back in...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I was under the impression that the onboard scales/smart hitch cannot be fitted later. The heated steering wheel can.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I havenā€™t heard of any Lightnings being delivered without heated mirrors. Mine had the steering wheel and scales deleted but the heated mirrors work.

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I havenā€™t heard of any Lightnings being delivered without heated mirrors. Mine had the steering wheel and scales deleted but the heated mirrors work.
I think itā€™s because at one point Ford said it would deliver without but walked back on that when, I am assuming, they secured chips.

my dealer did confirm there will be a field service update to add heated wheel back but nobody can tell them when lol. In the words of my sales dude ā€œbig blue got your money so the rush has endedā€¦ā€ lol

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What exactly is the intrusion sensor?
It's a motion sensor inside the cabin. Personally, I'm glad it's been removed from my truck. I had that feature on my Expedition and anytime I had dogs with me, they would trigger the alarm if I locked the Expedition with them inside it unless I remembered to disable. And had to do it EVERY TIME. Although if Ford gave us a Dog Mode like Tesla has where it would keep the climate control active and disable the internal motion sensor, then it would be fine.

I was under the impression that the onboard scales/smart hitch cannot be fitted later. The heated steering wheel can.
The scales and smart hitch are driven by the same accessory modules attached to the suspension, which are not currently available -- supplier shut down production due to covid lockdowns. *IF* these become available again, they can be installed. But there is no official plan or anything in the works to bring them to the 2023 trucks. And if anyone has failed components on a 2022, I don't think there are many (or any) available for replacement/repair. But yes, if you can manage to round up the components, they can be installed and will activate.

Heated mirrors are still there and working.

If the option to add scales in the future comes up, I'll probably do it unless it's too expensive as it could be useful at times. But it didn't matter to me one way or another if they were included or not... I've never owned a truck with onboard scales before even though I know I'd use them if there.

I will definitely add the heated steering wheel once I can.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
My 2023 Pro came with heated mirrors (Tow Tech), I don't think they actually removed them from the Lightning.

The only delete I had was the scales, which I always felt were gimmicky and really unimportant. I'm happy I got to save money and not include them.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
You can upgrade the Sync 2 system in my Fusion with an aftermarket Sync 3 system that plugs right in. Thatā€™s pretty surprising considering you have to replace the touch screen that controls the phone interface, the navigation, the stereo system and the climate control system. The point is if Ford doesnā€™t offer an upgrade for the removed items aftermarket vendors eventually will.

Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
the important part is the wiring. If the parts use the same harness its probably an activation in forscan away.

eettare

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Yes
If you build a Lightning on the Ford website now it no longer lists a steering wheel heat delete, does that mean builds for the rest of the year will get a heated wheel?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Did it ever list the steering wheel heat delete? The only deleted component happening when I placed my order was the scales and smart hitch and the jury was still out on how that would work. I had to re-confirm or acknowledge them being deleted in order to have Ford accept the order and get a build date.

jlwillia6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado, ā€˜23 Lightning Lariat ER (ordered)
Did it ever list the steering wheel heat delete? The only deleted component happening when I placed my order was the scales and smart hitch and the jury was still out on how that would work. I had to re-confirm or acknowledge them being deleted in order to have Ford accept the order and get a build date.
I donā€™t think Ford ever mentioned anything about the heated steering wheel delete. The first time I knew it was deleted on mine was when I was first able to see the window sticker. Iā€™m scheduled for production next week; I hope to join you all with a Lightning in the garage soon.
Sponsored