• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Convincing dealer to replace LVB

Churnandburn

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
Has anyone had any luck convincing their dealer to replace the LVB? My 2022 ER Lariat has some issues that I attribute to the LVB (powertrain malfunction, infotainment issues, etc) that are resolved once the battery is connected to a battery tender. I have a scheduled service on Jan 2, and they indicated they would not order the battery until they can confirm that it is the issue. I am leaving for a trip on the 5th, and will not be able to have the vehicle in the shop for multiple days.
Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
If they are giving you that much grief over it, I’d just buy a new one or go to a different dealer. Not worth the cost of a 12V battery to play their games and take it in a couple times.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
In this scenario I understand it being the principle that the dealer should replace it under warranty, but since you will be traveling and don’t want the truck in the shop for days over a minor cost to fix it , I’d just bite the bullet and pay for it at that dealer or another to get it done and then try to recoup costs later with ford corporate .
I’ve read on here that if the 12v battery isn’t charged enough the power up updates won’t install , which is enough reason to want it fixed quickly.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Has anyone had any luck convincing their dealer to replace the LVB? My 2022 ER Lariat has some issues that I attribute to the LVB (powertrain malfunction, infotainment issues, etc) that are resolved once the battery is connected to a battery tender. I have a scheduled service on Jan 2, and they indicated they would not order the battery until they can confirm that it is the issue. I am leaving for a trip on the 5th, and will not be able to have the vehicle in the shop for multiple days.
Wait! What? They don't have a battery in stock. Find a different dealer. Replacing a 12V battery shouldn't have to take a week.

Incidentally, I think Autozone will test your battery for free and confirm if it's defective.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Just a warning...

It might be your LVB, but it also likely is the system that maintains the LVB. Replacing the LVB may not solve your issue.

I asked earlier if swapping the LVB out for a higher quality Optima battery would help and the response I got was: no, the on board system that charges and maintains the LVB will still allow it to fail.

My opinion is this is a software issue that needs to be fixed/patched for the LVB maintenence system.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Wait! What? They don't have a battery in stock. Find a different dealer. Replacing a 12V battery shouldn't have to take a week.

Incidentally, I think Autozone will test your battery for free and confirm if it's defective.
Apparently you are unaware that EV 12v batteries are an inventory issue nationwide.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apparently you are unaware that EV 12v batteries are an inventory issue nationwide.
Gonna have to call BS on that. First, if the dealer won't even order one to keep in stock, than the issue of the dealer asshattery, not supply chain. Second, when I had a problem with battery in my MME earlier this year, they replaced it same day. Third, fordparts.com says they can deliver them in 1-2 days.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Gonna have to call BS on that. First, if the dealer won't even order one to keep in stock, than the issue of the dealer asshattery, not supply chain. Second, when I had a problem with battery in my MME earlier this year, they replaced it same day. Third, fordparts.com says they can deliver them in 1-2 days.
You got lucky. Numerous MME owners have had to wait weeks for 12v batteries.

kvasiir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
I had my battery replaced this week. Was getting "Electrical system drain" messages every time I started the truck. They kept it at the dealer for a couple of days and eventually replaced the 12 V battery. The service notes say:

TECH=23361 PERFORMED BCM SYSTEM SELF TEST B1616 RAN OASAS NO SSM OR TSB. GO TO WSM PINPOINT TEST C1 CHECK FOR AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES
NO GO TO C2 CHECK THE VEHICLES FOR A HIGH LOAD DRAW
BATTERY DRAWS AT 8MIL-AMP OK WITH IN SPEC. NO GO TO C3 CHECK FOR CORRECT OPERATION SHORT SOAK
The system is operating correctly at this time. The DTC may have been set due to high network traffic or an intermittent fault condition.
HOOK UP BATTERY CHARGER, CHARGED AND TEST BATTERY FAILED. (DTC 4Q3 H4TC ACES F62AJ) REPLACED BATTERY RESET BMS SENSOR. RERUN SELF TEST PASSED.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You got lucky. Numerous MME owners have had to wait weeks for 12v batteries.
When I first got MME I had an issue, so I took to the dealer on Thursday. Was told that they couldn't look at it till following Wednesday. I asked to make an appointment for Wednesday and was told that if I bring it in on Wednesday, they will look at it the following Tuesday. This is just to diagnose the issue, not actually fix it. So I went home and started calling all the dealers locally to see who could do their job without creating more problems for me. Found one who made the appointment for Saturday and performed the diagnostics and resolved it. That's not luck. That's refusing to be made a fool.

Again, OP said that his dealer is refusing even to order the battery ahead of time. I say screw that dealer and his asshattery. If the dealer said we have the batteries on order, but we just can't get them, that would be different, but as it is that dealer doesn't deserve his business.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Are these batteries special in some way? Is there a way to order them ourselves if Ford dealers don't want to bother?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Does anyone know How HVB charges LVB? Does it do it only when driving? On? Plugged in? Does interface tell you LVB voltage? Does ODB-II tell you the voltage and when it is being charged? If there is a design problem on how 12V battery is being maintained, knowing how things work may help us avoid having a dead or confused truck.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Are these batteries special in some way? Is there a way to order them ourselves if Ford dealers don't want to bother?
Nothing special about them. Tesla has stopped using them and is using Li to improve reliability

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Google search on Ford F150 Lightning battery 12 volt.
LFP battery from firm in Arizona for $400+. Walmart for $150.
Sponsored