• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cost of Lightning Insurance

OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
I'm not insuring a third vehicle. I am replacing my 2021 with the Lightning and the wife is replacing her Edge with the Mach-E.

We'll be totally electric except for my Harley by the end of the year.
Got it! I’m tracking with you now. That makes the rates seem more in line with the feedback we are receiving. So you are going all in with electric! I would consider it if charging stations were more ubiquitous. I
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Got it! I’m tracking with you now. That makes the rates seem more in line with the feedback we are receiving. So you are going all in with electric! I would consider it if charging stations were more ubiquitous. I
We don't do a lot of long distance driving at the moment that will require DCFC. We will be taking the Lightning from Detroit to Baltimore in October, if it's delivered by then, but I've got the route mapped out with ABRP and Plugshare and were excited to do it. Other than that, we only go to the lake and the west side of Michigan. Plenty of charging opportunities.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
All EV here for 4 years. Two Tesla model 3's. It was the only car that could get me out of my previous pickup. Never regretted that at all. Now the Lightning and a 3. There will likely always be a Tesla in the garage regardless of what is sitting beside it.

OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
We don't do a lot of long distance driving at the moment that will require DCFC. We will be taking the Lightning from Detroit to Baltimore in October, if it's delivered by then, but I've got the route mapped out with ABRP and Plugshare and were excited to do it. Other than that, we only go to the lake and the west side of Michigan. Plenty of charging opportunities.
Thanks. I think my limited driving should also yield a substantial discount. Would you please tell me what ABRP stands for?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
Would any of you who have already taken delivery of your Lightnings mind sharing the cost to insure your vehicles? I'm trying to understand if there is a significant increase or decrease in coverage costs versus an ICE truck.
Thanks to all of you for providing your insurance costs in this thread. The benefits of these forums are truly immeasurable.
There is lots of valuable information in here, and I have truly learned from every post.

OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
I’m considering classifying my Lightning as a recreational vehicle. Has anyone in the forum done that?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Would any of you who have already taken delivery of your Lightnings mind sharing the cost to insure your vehicles? I'm trying to understand if there is a significant increase or decrease in coverage costs versus an ICE truck.
Just took delivery of my Lightning today. My insurance premium went down about $400 per year as compared to my previous car, a Mustang Mach-E Select AWD.

I've got pretty extensive coverage, including roadside assistance and even breakdown insurance (extended warranty)... For about $108 per month from Geico.

Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I'm not insuring a third vehicle. I am replacing my 2021 with the Lightning and the wife is replacing her Edge with the Mach-E.

We'll be totally electric except for my Harley by the end of the year.

You gotta get on that LiveWire then.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You gotta get on that LiveWire then.
The older I get, and the more distracted drivers get, the less I want to get on the bike. When the Ultra is gone, I'm out.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
The older I get, and the more distracted drivers get, the less I want to get on the bike. When the Ultra is gone, I'm out.

Yea rode bikes all life (Ducati mostly) but then lost a dear biker friend due to a careless driver and got married. Haven’t been back on a bike in a long time. I do really miss it.

OP
OP

Bigpoppa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Strategist
Just took delivery of my Lightning today. My insurance premium went down about $400 per year as compared to my previous car, a Mustang Mach-E Select AWD.

I've got pretty extensive coverage, including roadside assistance and even breakdown insurance (extended warranty)... For about $108 per month from Geico.
Wow! That is interesting. $400 is a big drop. I wonder if the Mach e is being classified like a traditional sports car?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Wow! That is interesting. $400 is a big drop. I wonder if the Mach e is being classified like a traditional sports car?
I think it's a combination of factors.

From what I know, insurance companies tend to base part of the rate on statistics for each model. When a new model comes out, they don't have enough data to know how often that particular vehicle will be involved in a claim... So they could potentially start a bit higher than an established model.

That said, although the Lightning is new... it's probably being rated as an F-150, which has decades of history.
Sponsored