• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Insurance rate for your Lightning vs ICE

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
@Dadalorian13 Registered their's as passenger in NY.
If that is true someone at the dealer or at the DMV made a mistake. The link for the PDF that I posted clearly states any pickup over 6000#s requires commercial plates. When I traded my 5.4 supercab raptor in on a 6.2, the new one was over 6000# and I was required to get commercial plates. It has been a requirement for a while. We traded in my wife’s Ranger in on the lightning and were required to get commercial plates as it is over 6000#. In NY, if it is a pickup over 6000# and has passenger plates it is technically improperly registered.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If that is true someone at the dealer or at the DMV made a mistake. The link for the PDF that I posted clearly states any pickup over 6000#s requires commercial plates. When I traded my 5.4 supercab raptor in on a 6.2, the new one was over 6000# and I was required to get commercial plates. It has been a requirement for a while. We traded in my wife’s Ranger in on the lightning and were required to get commercial plates as it is over 6000#. In NY, if it is a pickup over 6000# and has passenger plates it is technically improperly registered.
I think the NYS DMV guidance is unclear. The DMV page I linked showed no weight limit, but I agree your form does. Here is another link that gives more info, but it isn't clear if the requirements for over 6k lbs pickups are "meet all of" or "meet any of"

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-registration-class

I will follow up with my dealer and see what they say.

Last edited:

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
I think the NYS DMV guidance is unclear. The DMV page I linked showed no weight limit, but I agree your form does. Here is another link that gives more info, but it isn't clear if the requirements for over 6k lbs pickups are "meet all of" or "meet any of"

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-registration-class

I will follow up with my dealer and see what they say.
👍🏻 I recommend checking with the DMV too. It’s unfortunate the NYDMV has not updated any of their rules when it comes to the weight of trucks. Those weight rules have been that way since I started driving and I am old!! Lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I know insurance on Tesla vehicles is really high, but they are expensive cars with limited service centers. Was hoping since the Lightning is based on / shares many parts with the ICE F150 the rates would be reasonable. So far, is looking that way.
Tesla was 50% higher than a comparable MachE.
My 2016 F150 XL supercab: $361 per year
2022 Lightning XLT SR: $461 per year
Traded the 2016 for $23,600 and this truck was $55,000 so the increase seems reasonable. Identical coverage for both trucks and low since they are listed as "pleasure less than 8,500 miles per year." Erie in my experience is way cheaper than State Farm- they raised my rates every time there were hurricanes in Florida!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I had a 2021 Lariat when my insurance renewed on August 1st. I picked my Lariat ER up on October 5th and switched my insurance to it. I received a rebate check for $17 from my insurance. So, my Lightning insurance is less than my ICE truck

gg1919

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER - Star White Metallic
My Lariat ER is +$90 total for 12 months over my 2015 SCrew Ecoboost. So, a negligible increase, not surprised given the valuation difference.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My Lariat ER is +$90 total for 12 months over my 2015 SCrew Ecoboost. So, a negligible increase, not surprised given the valuation difference.
Yeah, this is what I expected vs. my 2017 Raptor, but Allstate came back at over $1,000 increase per year! Their system just doesn't treat the Lightning right. It is weird because their rates for our Mach-e GT were right in line with what I expected - small increase over the Mini Countryman we traded for it.
Sponsored