• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cover for Frunk Emergency Release Button

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
I want to put a cover over the release button inside the frunk, but want it to be clear, something like this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Cover for Frunk Emergency Release Button cover

This one is for a 16mm switch. Anyone with a Lightning who can tell me the diameter needed?
Thanks
May not use this one, but here is the Amazon link for anyone who wants more info on it.

Also, @EVben thought he might 3D print something for this... did you, Ben?
Sponsored

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
I want to put a cover over the release button inside the frunk, but want it to be clear, something like this:
cover.jpg

This one is for a 16mm switch. Anyone with a Lightning who can tell me the diameter needed?
Thanks
May not use this one, but here is the Amazon link for anyone who wants more info on it.

hoping to get truck in next month or so and will take a look

was leaning toward an idea where maybe it’s just an overhanging peice to protect from sliding objects but could still be accessed easy with no uncovering required

I do like the idea of a clear cover and maybe even one you can take on and off easy as the main concern is a large load triggering the frunk

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Unnecessary. Cannot open secondary latch at speed.

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger
agree, looking at it more as a fun hobby problem solving project than an essential piece of engineering

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
cover.jpg

Thanks

I’ve been searching for the same thing. I remember, maybe incorrectly, that the frunk release button was an elliptical shape?? Only found elliptical ”dead man” flip cover like this on a European shopping site, but like you…I don’t have enough info on size/shape.

I know activation of the frunk’s interior button only releases the primary latch, but my wife would not be happy to have that happen while she is driving……..

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
You would still need to pull over to reset the primary latch, so I don't think it's "unnecessary." Plus, it would be alarming if you didn't know exactly what was going on.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
You would still need to pull over to reset the primary latch, so I don't think it's "unnecessary." Plus, it would be alarming if you didn't know exactly what was going on.
It was a fairly unique set of circumstances that triggered it that began this whole thing. He was carrying a large floor jack with a round handle in the frunk. Shifting boxes or totes probably won't trigger it because the button is inset in the glow ring, maybe golf clubs? It may be what Ford was thinking when they put lashdown clips in there.

This clear cover looks professional and like a good idea. It's not something I will do unless I 'm wrong and it turns out there's nuisance tripping.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

Sponsored

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
It was a fairly unique set of circumstances that triggered it that began this whole thing. He was carrying a large floor jack with a round handle in the frunk. Shifting boxes or totes probably won't trigger it because the button is inset in the glow ring, maybe golf clubs? It may be what Ford was thinking when they put lashdown clips in there.
I though the same thing until mine went off this weekend. I had two boxes and a small easel and driving along at about 60 the alarm went off. I still can’t figure out what could have made contact with the button. I’m hoping this was just a fluke also.

OP
OP
Lightning.Dav

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
I though the same thing until mine went off this weekend. I had two boxes and a small easel and driving along at about 60 the alarm went off. I still can’t figure out what could have made contact with the button. I’m hoping this was just a fluke also.
For less than 8 bucks and some velcro, I think this is what I will try from Home Depot: Clear Outlet Cover

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Seems like a good project for someone with a 3D printer,

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World
Is this to prevent your frunk from opening accidently if something hits it? I can tell you it will not open all the way while driving. I know this because we were driving home after stopping to get food. And a warning popped up about my frunk release. So we had to pull over and re-set it. I had to open the frunk and close it.

My guess is the kids stroller hit the release button as we pulled away from shifting, but it doesn't OPEN the frunk while driving. I think it just releases it and you can push up on the frunk but it won't open it by itself. So you're still okay

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Is this to prevent your frunk from opening accidently if something hits it? I can tell you it will not open all the way while driving. I know this because we were driving home after stopping to get food. And a warning popped up about my frunk release. So we had to pull over and re-set it. I had to open the frunk and close it.

My guess is the kids stroller hit the release button as we pulled away from shifting, but it doesn't OPEN the frunk while driving. I think it just releases it and you can push up on the frunk but it won't open it by itself. So you're still okay
Exactly what I want to prevent my wife from having to deal with.……
Sponsored