• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Out of Spec F150L and Lightning over-mountain towing trip + ̶f̶r̶u̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶ emergency frunk release activated on the highway?!?!?!

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
There is no indication that it triggered anything besides the driver warning and primary latch release (probably). The owner's manual clearly states that the emergency release is turned on.

A quick look at the regulation posted above reveals that it requires the system to work while the vehicle is moving within five minutes, despite GM's request to waive. (Utah family driving around looking for their five kids unaware they were dying in the trunk, among other things.) I could see this as increasingly dire warnings and power reductions over the course of five minutes if the Frunk driver doesn't stop the vehicle.

Maybe somebody that has a truck will test the system just to instill confidence.

https://www.federalregister.gov/d/01-20831/p-193
IMO the design flaw is that the button can be actuated by normal cargo movement. It seems like the button itself did exactly what it’s supposed to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Here are the requirements laid out by NHTSA in FMVSS 401. You can see in S4.3(b)iii that for a front trunk the primary latch must be released and secondary latch must remain latched if the vehicle is traveling over 5 km/h. So, the system did exactly what it was required to do. However, there is nothing in the standard that prevents a transparent plastic cover over the button. It only requires that the mechanism can easily be seen (S4.2(a)).

Gotta love the internets...😉
It's really not a big deal for the frunk release to be activated while in motion, as long as it only releases the primary latch. I can see how it would be alarming if it activates on the highway and could be potentially dangerous if the driver panics and pulls off the road in an unsafe manner.

There are a bunch of different ways that the release could have been designed, many of which would be immune to cargo shifts.

Again, nothing to panic about. I pointed it out in the title of this thread because I thought it was interesting and the video didn't really explain exactly how the mechanism works while in motion.

Ford F-150 Lightning Out of Spec F150L and Lightning over-mountain towing trip +    ̶f̶r̶u̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶   emergency frunk release activated on the highway?!?!?! 1657377343647

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It seems that only the primary latch should release while in motion, assuming the system is operating correctly.
The requirement that the primary latch release into a secondary latch for a front trunk is probably to allow for immediate ventilation. That wouldn't happen in my scenario of doing nothing except alerting the driver that something has turned on the emergency release and giving the driver five minutes to address it.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It's really not a big deal for the frunk release to be activated while in motion, as long as it only releases the primary latch. I can see how it would be alarming if it activates on the highway and could be potentially dangerous if the driver panics and pulls off the road in an unsafe manner.

There are a bunch of different ways that the release could have been designed, many of which would be immune to cargo shifts.

Again, nothing to panic about. I pointed it out in the title of this thread because I thought it was interesting and the video didn't really explain exactly how the mechanism works while in motion.

1657377343647.png
It’s no big deal until the secondary latch fails.

DroopyHippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Again, and I am sorry but I disagree on calling this a defect. An oversight, sure… a possible safety issue, yes… but not a defect. A defect would infer something that was not working as intended. I believe this is/was intentional and working as intended. With that said however, there should have been a pull handle or even a cover blocking the release so this accidental release would not trigger.

Happen to be an engineer of some kind? I swear I hear this all the time in the office. I agree with you however.

Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
This happened to me on day 2 of ownership. Was coming to a stop at an intersection in my neighborhood and a backpack I had on top of a larger bag in the frunk slid forward and clipped the inside release button. Warning popped on the screen and movement of the frunk. Pulled over, hopped out got things squared away better, but it was certainly eye opening!

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
This is why I plan to Velcro a piece of wood or what is handy over the button.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Shows how much impact the bad aerodynamics of a large travel trailer impact range compared to a low profile trailer.
in the Tesla forums, people report that hitch-mounted bike racks (loaded) will have a 25% efficiency hit

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
in the Tesla forums, people report that hitch-mounted bike racks (loaded) will have a 25% efficiency hit
That was precisely my experience. We found that in both our MS and MX we could fit two full size road bikes inside the vehicle with no disassembly, so stopped using the hitch-mounted bike rack entirely.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I had issues with the frunk button, not really sure how to solve this, but it seems in an awful location...is there an easy way to unplug it? I was looking at blocking it somehow, but may have to look a little closer.

p.s. I don't know how two golf bags would fit up there, it's awfully tight even with one.

Ford F-150 Lightning Out of Spec F150L and Lightning over-mountain towing trip +    ̶f̶r̶u̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶   emergency frunk release activated on the highway?!?!?! IMG_2603

EVben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Ranger

Dadvikefan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016CmaxEnergi,2017,FusionSE,Future Lightning
Occupation
Chef
Random thought. Is there regulations on what size or volume the enclosed area is to require a emergency release? I think I would take a smaller frunk that didn't fit a human inside, if they installed a heat pump system up there.
Sponsored