• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck Prices and Trim

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Gotta love that 48V low voltage bus.
And Ethernet, rather than dinosaur canbus. :)

It's really incredible that it's taken this long to get ethernet in a vehicle. It's such an obvious improvement. If you made it a token-ring system instead of a hub system you could string one single wire bundle of just power and comm. through the car instead of the incredible wire harnesses that they use now. The cable would hit every IO board in the car and those boards would provide local wires to feed the various devices.

It should be much more reliable in theory with so many less wires and connectors and much easier to fix/diagnose if something goes wrong.
Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
Here’s the one where Munro says it’s not F-150 competitor

After watching this video, it’s hard not to be impressed with what Tesla has created. It looks even better dirty and I could definitely see this on jobs sites and back roads. Sandy likes both Lightning and CT, but he just gushes over what Elon has been able to accomplish that he couldn’t due to management (The Peter Principle). Props to Elon for allowing Sandy 2nd YT interview and giving testament to his contributions.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck Prices and Trim IMG_6718

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
How many people on here would know why they stopped at 48 V instead of going even higher?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Not me.
But I'm a network guy and POE has been 48V for years.
Is there a diminished return beyond that?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Not me.
But I'm a network guy and POE has been 48V for years.
Is there a diminished return beyond that?
Once you get to 50 V, it is now considered 'High Voltage' according to OSHA and all the safety protocols change. Now high voltage glove kits are necessary, along with all the conditions using these kits. Rubber gloves are only certified for one year, can only be used for 6 months, have to be inspected every day before 1st use.

Our protocols are to have two different colored gloves. Red gloves are used from July to December. Come 1st of Jan, we switch over to the black and send all of the red gloves off to be recertified. Come end of June, all black gloves are sent out to be recertified and red gloves (recertified in mid April) are reissued.

This voltage limit is why MOST modules are 48 V nominal (50+ V when fully charged). I have some clients who decided to go with 80 V modules and then wonder why we charge more to test them. Also, if the module is 48 V nominal, and we charge it to 100% SOC prior to abuse testing, we have to handle it differently when pulling it off the charger.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So - I guess I could make it real. Unfortunately I'm in too deep on the Lightning and have retrirement in my sites in a few years. If only I knew it wouldn't get destroyed on Turo.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck Prices and Trim Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.43.45 PM

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Once you get to 50 V, it is now considered 'High Voltage' according to OSHA and all the safety protocols change. Now high voltage glove kits are necessary, along with all the conditions using these kits. Rubber gloves are only certified for one year, can only be used for 6 months, have to be inspected every day before 1st use.

Our protocols are to have two different colored gloves. Red gloves are used from July to December. Come 1st of Jan, we switch over to the black and send all of the red gloves off to be recertified. Come end of June, all black gloves are sent out to be recertified and red gloves (recertified in mid April) are reissued.

This voltage limit is why MOST modules are 48 V nominal (50+ V when fully charged). I have some clients who decided to go with 80 V modules and then wonder why we charge more to test them. Also, if the module is 48 V nominal, and we charge it to 100% SOC prior to abuse testing, we have to handle it differently when pulling it off the charger.
So what you are telling me is that Lightning Gen2 can come out with 49V system and Farley can send a manual to Elon on how to do it?

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So - I guess I could make it real. Unfortunately I'm in too deep on the Lightning and have retrirement in my sites in a few years. If only I knew it wouldn't get destroyed on Turo.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.43.45 PM.png
Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck Prices and Trim IMG_0425

Sponsored
OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
$16k for the range extender. We’ll see if I order it this weekend.
Any idea when that range extender will be available? Or is it just another FSD where it’s 6 months away every year?

Tesla really does have some of the most devoted fans I’ve ever seen. Mostly everyone getting the invitation is throwing $120k+ at the Cyberbeast. If Ford tried that they would be laughed off the stock market lol

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Any idea when that range extender will be available? Or is it just another FSD where it’s 6 months away every year?

Tesla really does have some of the most devoted fans I’ve ever seen. Mostly everyone getting the invitation is throwing $120k+ at the Cyberbeast. If Ford tried that they would be laughed off the stock market lol
I think it said late 2024 with a $500 non-refundable deposit. I chose the AWD version and not the cyberbeast… I believe I can change that if I feel the need for less range and quicker acceleration and a lightbar above the windshield ;)

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think it said late 2024 with a $500 non-refundable deposit. I chose the AWD version and not the cyberbeast… I believe I can change that if I feel the need for less range and quicker acceleration and a lightbar above the windshield ;)
Wait so it’s gone from Dec-Mar to now late 2024? There are only supposed to be 1000 of them. I’m wondering if they changed their mind and will make as many “Foundation” series as they can to reap the profits.

$500? I thought it was $250 like all Teslas

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
He is referring strictly to the Range Extender with the late 2024. I saw that online and you asked him about the range extender. The truck is in the next 3 to 4 months.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
He is referring strictly to the Range Extender with the late 2024. I saw that online and you asked him about the range extender. The truck is in the next 3 to 4 months.
Ah, makes sense. I don’t think that range extender will hit before 2025. But we shall see. Still $100k is tough to swallow unless the CT is going to make you money on the side.

But congrats and come back/post your life with a CT.
Sponsored