• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck Quad-Motor & Crab Walk Steering announced

Skylane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I see the misunderstanding now. When he wrote "Smaller than the Ranger and the same size as the new Maverick compact truck" I thought he was referring to vehicle dimensions as my post he quoted was about F-150L vs. CT dimensions.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
As the saying goes: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It's not:

cybertruck.jpg

-Tech-Specs-2.jpg.01764db85e71c4193374c536da0fcd32.jpg

Is that why Panasonic is setting up pilot production lines? Not that it's really important given Tesla is also making their own.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/25/panasonic-unveils-tesla-4680-battery-cell-production-next-year/

Elon Musk: “We made the exec decision to not make a world truck, so it does not comply with a lot of EU spec and stuff. We can make a truck that does comply with the EU spec in the future, we are fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker."

Smart choice, stop whilst you are behind.
Elon's EU comment long since retracted - deposits being accepted in UK as I write - two of my friends have made them. I guess with Brexit, UK isn't technically EU.

Panasonic's pilot production line is WHERE they identified the problems with both reliability/longevity and volume production speed that they have not been able to solve. The entire 4680 program has been pushed back to square one.

Regarding size, Tesla is in the midst of a complete re-engineering to downsize the truck from the original prototype, and to make many other changes, such as add a curved windshield, figure out how to handle the wiper(s), and possibly change the basic exoskeleton material, because it wasn't feasible anywhere near the price point objective, and beyond difficult from an engineering perspective. Another Elon promise that was over his skis. Bottom line is that Cybertruck is not a thing and won't be for at least a year, probably 2024. I have one on order, but will be driving my Lightning long before the Tesla.

Skylane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Elon's EU comment long since retracted - deposits being accepted in UK as I write - two of my friends have made them. I guess with Brexit, UK isn't technically EU.
That doesn't mean anything, pre-orders have been open worldwide since day one in November 2019, that statement was made in August 2020. Please post proof of it being retracted.

Panasonic's pilot production line is WHERE they identified the problems with both reliability/longevity and volume production speed that they have not been able to solve. The entire 4680 program has been pushed back to square one.
How did Panasonic identify problems with their pilot production line given it's not even built yet?

"Panasonic is currently aiming to start “test production” of those new 4680 cells at a plant in Japan in March 2022"

Regarding size, Tesla is in the midst of a complete re-engineering to downsize the truck from the original prototype
The idea of slightly reducing its size was ventilated but last I heard they decided otherwise:

“Reviewed design with Franz [von Holzhausen, Tesla’s chief designer] last night. Even 3% smaller is too small. Will be pretty much this size.”

Anyway the whole point being made was that the Cybertruck isn't any bigger than the F-150 Lightning, even in its original form.

and possibly change the basic exoskeleton material, because it wasn't feasible anywhere near the price point objective, and beyond difficult from an engineering perspective.
Another unsubstantiated claim.
Sponsored