• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian removes Max Pack battery + Quad-Motor option from R1T orders

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
People are going to start souring on EV's soon. You're paying luxury prices and getting less and less. In California, charging at an EV station is expensive, the incentives for getting Solar are getting less and less making home charging more expensive. It's just a big mess and I think those in charge did not anticipate people moving so fast into EV's

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hopefully this marks a shift towards more affordable options for Rivian and other manufacturers. 0-60 in 3 seconds with quad motors is a neat party truck but Iā€™d rather see them simplify and streamline their production. As well as with the Lightning Iā€™m hoping future iterations are lighter/more efficient/cheaper/longer range. The horsepower isnā€™t the Achilles heel of these trucks, itā€™s the affordability and range under load.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Hopefully this marks a shift towards more affordable options for Rivian and other manufacturers. 0-60 in 3 seconds with quad motors is a neat party truck but Iā€™d rather see them simplify and streamline their production. As well as with the Lightning Iā€™m hoping future iterations are lighter/more efficient/cheaper/longer range. The horsepower isnā€™t the Achilles heel of these trucks, itā€™s the affordability and range under load.
Agree, because of the instant torque with EVs the horses become a little less of an important spec.

As others have mentioned the HP is useful when passing at higher speeds on a highway. That being said, no one has been able to keep up with my Pro.

0-60 in under 5 seconds is ridiculous for vehicles this heavy. I'm not complaining though šŸ˜‰

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I've had a Rivian Max Pack order since early 2019. I've passed up multiple chances to buy an R1T with the regular "large" pack. I can buy from the R1 Shop right now, although there's no configurations in there at the moment that I want. Not sure what I'll do with my Rivian reservation. I posted about it on the Rivian forums, but I think I'm throwing in the towel since I have the Lightning and I'll convert my Rivian order to an R1S that I can have mid '23. Let my wife upgrade her Model Y since she really likes the R1S. She wants to wait and see the Jeep Recon, but that's at least another year out from the R1S we can have and I've kinda soured on Jeeps over the past several years.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've had a Rivian Max Pack order since early 2019. I've passed up multiple chances to buy an R1T with the regular "large" pack. I can buy from the R1 Shop right now, although there's no configurations in there at the moment that I want. Not sure what I'll do with my Rivian reservation. I posted about it on the Rivian forums, but I think I'm throwing in the towel since I have the Lightning and I'll convert my Rivian order to an R1S that I can have mid '23. Let my wife upgrade her Model Y since she really likes the R1S. She wants to wait and see the Jeep Recon, but that's at least another year out from the R1S we can have and I've kinda soured on Jeeps over the past several years.
The R1S looks nice, if it was in my price range I'd get that for my wife.

Instead we are looking at a mid-trim Fisker Ocean.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer

R1S wouldn't even be a consideration if we had to pay current pricing. I don't see these high prices holding. Once supply chains sort themselves in the next year or so and all the people who just gotta have these EVs have one, there will be more options and better prices.

I wish I had taken a better look at the Fisker Ocean when it was announced. The Ultra trim with 340 mile range and a $49,995 price tag looks like the best EV deal going. But they're sold out...

Fisker has proven they can build good cars. The Karma is/was an excellent car, even though it was a hybrid and not full EV. They just timed the market wrong and couldn't build quantity or hit the price target they needed. I think they would have been a lot more popular had Tesla not introduced the Model S and that swayed so many buyers in that price range over from not just Fisker, but BMW, Mercedes and others...

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I wish I had taken a better look at the Fisker Ocean when it was announced. The Ultra trim with 340 mile range and a $49,995 price tag looks like the best EV deal going. But they're sold out...
I have an early reservation and already passed on the launch model, I anticipate ordering the Ultra within the next 3 months (hope is probably a better word).

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Lots of red flags with Fisker. I bailed on my early reservation.

No one has verified Fisker's performance/range numbers yet. I believe 340mi when I see it in the real world. As far as price goes, the $49k model should be the sweet spot(mid trim) but its missing a lot of features for a $49k auto-- adaptive cruise, lane centering, etc. To get the goodies you have to move up to the $68k model and that is eTron and/or Lyriq territory.

Too much hassle, too much risk for me to continue with Fisker.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Lots of red flags with Fisker. I bailed on my early reservation.

No one has verified Fisker's performance/range numbers yet. I believe 340mi when I see it in the real world. As far as price goes, the $49k model should be the sweet spot(mid trim) but its missing a lot of features for a $49k auto-- adaptive cruise, lane centering, etc. To get the goodies you have to move up to the $68k model and that is eTron and/or Lyriq territory.

Too much hassle, too much risk for me to continue with Fisker.
Agreed. We have a Lyriq reservation. That one is a steal at the price it is being sold. But GM šŸ˜–

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired

Both companies will fail. Rivian has lost significant dollars on every vehicle it has sold and has no path to positive margin. None. It cannot survive. Fisker is a basket case. Tesla, on the other hand, has never lost money on any car that it has sold, has an average 27% gross margin since inception. Rivian's production costs per unit exceed what any consumer would pay for its vehicles, You and others point at their gross selling prices as a current obstacle. They are still selling you a vehicle for less than the component costs to THEM with assembly labor and delivery. It is an unfeasible business model.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
You and others point at their gross selling prices as a current obstacle.
Hmm, not sure I've commented about Tesla and their gross selling prices. Might be confusing me with someone else.

Fisker will be fine, they are going after a different market than Rivian.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Hmm, not sure I've commented about Tesla and their gross selling prices. Might be confusing me with someone else.

Fisker will be fine, they are going after a different market than Rivian.
You talked aspirationally about Rivian getting their prices DOWN. That cannot happen - they MUST push prices up to exceed cost or go out of business., That is in the cards abyway (or be bought out). Fisker will not be fine. They cannot ramp to volume, full stop. How many new car manufacturers making a volume consumer product have come into existence in the last seventy years and survived to profitability? Exactly one. Tesla. The convergence of factors that made this possible was unique and not replicable. Fisker is another Delorean. Or another Fisker.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
You talked aspirationally about Rivian getting their prices DOWN. That cannot happen - they MUST push prices up to exceed cost or go out of business., That is in the cards abyway (or be bought out). Fisker will not be fine. They cannot ramp to volume, full stop. How many new car manufacturers making a volume consumer product have come into existence in the last seventy years and survived to profitability? Exactly one. Tesla. The convergence of factors that made this possible was unique and not replicable. Fisker is another Delorean. Or another Fisker.
Hmm

My obstacle, that is preventing me from buying a Rivian, is price. I didn't say they needed to get their prices down...

Fisker is just getting going (history aside because they are no longer the same company they were). A little premature to stick a fork in them.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Hmm

My obstacle, that is preventing me from buying a Rivian, is price. I didn't say they needed to get their prices down...

Fisker is just getting going (history aside because they are no longer the same company they were). A little premature to stick a fork in them.
The fact that they are just getting going is the reason they cannot become competitive. These vehicles are software-based and to succeed requires unit sales in the hundreds of thousands, or affiliation with a larger organization that provides that resource (such as Lamborghini being a division of Volkswagen Audi Group, same for Bentley, etc.). It takes billions in infrastructure and development costs - and no new manufacturer, starting from scratch, can get scaled sufficiently to have a competitive product to market. It is not possible, full stop. I love what the folks at Lucid, for example have done. But their Achilles heel, and it is fatal, is software development resources. Every review raves about the car and then says - don't buy it, the software is buggy, long lags, freezes, and generally sucks, plus charging doesn't work. Even Tesla is struggling there, and they have multiples of the resources, many multiples of these little guys. They are succeeding due to being way ahead of the pack as first mover, but there is no chance that any emerging competitor can catch them. Perhaps some of the legacy manufacturers will be competitive - see KIA, Mercedes, Nissan, maybe Ford and GM. But for the small players, there just are not enough units to spread the development costs for mapping, self-driving, user interface, etc. This is my bailiwick - finance and cost structures (I'm a finance professor at Johns Hopkins as my retirement gig). I've spent a lot of time inside Tesla's financials - the only thing that got them here is an amazing product (engineering for range, performance, style, Supercharging) and huge positive gross sales margins, coupled with a very high stock price and the concomitant ability to issue many billions of dollars of new capital to finance R&D and new plants - those elements (most critically the billions in capital access) do not exist for the Fiskers, Lucids, Rivians, etc., and none of them can survive. Not one. No chance.
Sponsored