• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2025 Ramcharger Announced

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Looks like Ram is going to be putting a v6/generator combo in addition to a 70 KW battery in the Ramcharger to get the range of gas and the performance of an EV. For most people i think this will do a wonderful job bridging the gap, depending on price and T3 might even make this loyal Ford customer consider a Ram.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45734742/2025-ram-1500-ramcharger-revealed/
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
It looks like a current solution for those folks who tow long distances, especially in colder climates. For me, I would like to keep all the lockable storage the Lightning provides, but I will admit I am eager to have more chargers available in the next 6 months.

With the 2025 models, I hope enough chargers are around, to make the V-6 is just lost weight capacity.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
That looks really compelling. That's the perfect balance of city commuting on EV and great towing/long distance road trip range. Would love to see a 3 row SUV/Van with those specs.

OP
OP
lancersrock

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
It looks like a current solution for those folks who tow long distances, especially in colder climates. For me, I would like to keep all the lockable storage the Lightning provides, but I will admit I am eager to have more chargers available in the next 6 months.

With the 2025 models, I hope enough chargers are around, to make the V-6 is just lost weight capacity.
listed as having 14,000 towing capacity and over 2500 payload, im sure the v6+70 KW battery weigh less than the massive battery the Rev comes with. No transmission and such so i imagine it will be fine.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Looks like Ram is going to be putting a v6/generator combo in addition to a 70 KW battery in the Ramcharger to get the range of gas and the performance of an EV. For most people i think this will do a wonderful job bridging the gap, depending on price and T3 might even make this loyal Ford customer consider a Ram.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45734742/2025-ram-1500-ramcharger-revealed/
So basically a pickup version of BMW I3. Plus made by Chrysler people.(n)(n)(n)

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Actually I intended to say I would hate to give up the frunk. I am not sure about losing the dry lockable storage for a engine that would only work very little for my situation. Again, great use for towing folks.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My biggest worry would be how well that dodge V6 will hold up running as infrequently as it should in this application.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I don't want to give up a frunk and the lack of maintenance of a gas engine as a trade for additional range. Especially with an estimated electric range of only 145 miles.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I don't want to give up a frunk and the lack of maintenance of a gas engine as a trade for additional range. Especially with an estimated electric range of only 145 miles.
If I had the Ramcharger option at the time I purchased the Lightning (a year ago) I would have went with the Ramcharger... but at this point I do not think I would trade. Mainly for the loss I would take on the Lightning.

The frunk is nice, but I think the Ramcharger is really a nice option. 145 miles of electric range would cover 98% of my mileage.

From a maintenance standpoint for the V6 I would be curious to see how they determine the maintenance intervals if the thing is very infrequently utilized. In other words, the maintenance very well may be much less frequent than a typical ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
It's a very interesting design and product packaging depending on the pricing. I am still shocked no one is offering a more traditional PHEV midsize or full size truck. A F150 PowerBoost+ plug in with a 30kWh pack @ 1.5 mi/kWh around town would be 45mi of range which would be really compelling. For many customers 80% of their trips could be EV only assuming they plug in every night on a 32A level 2 charger at home.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
WW2 Submarine technology.

How long will the gas last if I rarely use the ICE? Regardless, we need a robust charging infrastructure.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
WW2 Submarine technology.

How long will the gas last if I rarely use the ICE?
Fun fact, this is why you see pressurized gas tanks on some PHEV vehicles. Having a pressurized fuel tank prolongs the life of the gas. Not saying it fully solves the problem, if you are really going to maximize the EV only driving mode, you probably don't want to top off tank, instead replenish 1/4 to 1/2 at certain intervals, at which point you may want to consider going full BEV if your use case will allow.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Ram 1500 are great pickups. I owned a Volt with the same type of batter/ice charger; it was a fantastic combo.

My choice only: the 145 mile range at 100% figuring 90% usable, and then for weather and degradation over time the battery does not give me what I need at this time.

However, if you are OK with range then that's great. If not, wait a year or two and I bet the range will increase.
Sponsored