• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dashboard - A Pillar Creaking

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Referenced this in another thread, but thought it might be worthwhile to see if others have this issue.
2022 ER Lariat, took delivery last November.
While driving, mostly at highway speeds, including smooth roads, the most annoyingly loud creaking noise is being made from what appears to be between the passenger side dashboard and "A" pillar junction. Initially tried putting some some wood shims between the components, and did nothing. The creaking is louder and more frequent in cold weather.

Tried this in the photo below with a small purchase from Ace Hardware, and the sound is mostly gone. A black plastic putty knife. Will take this up with my dealer if they ever get my microcracked tail light in that is on recall.

Anyone else have this issue?
Ford F-150 Lightning Dashboard - A Pillar Creaking Tj3wy1E
Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same issue but it’s more of a rattle from that area. Keep us updated if you ever find a fix for it!

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same issue but it’s more of a rattle from that area. Keep us updated if you ever find a fix for it!
Will do. In my case, it seems the plastic parts were/are rubbing together, and the plastic putty knife wedged between the A pillar and the dashboard significantly reduced the noise.

The funny thing about driving an EV- I may not have noticed the noise if I was driving a V-8 ICE or certainly a diesel truck. But the noise was very loud, and I could hear it even when I cranked up Metallica and Slayer.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Referenced this in another thread, but thought it might be worthwhile to see if others have this issue.
2022 ER Lariat, took delivery last November.
While driving, mostly at highway speeds, including smooth roads, the most annoyingly loud creaking noise is being made from what appears to be between the passenger side dashboard and "A" pillar junction. Initially tried putting some some wood shims between the components, and did nothing. The creaking is louder and more frequent in cold weather.

Tried this in the photo below with a small purchase from Ace Hardware, and the sound is mostly gone. A black plastic putty knife. Will take this up with my dealer if they ever get my microcracked tail light in that is on recall.

Anyone else have this issue?
Tj3wy1E.jpg
Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this creaking noise concern? Thank you!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there, Chris! If you'd like to, go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info and I’ll look into this rattle concern as well. Thanks!

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have the same issue and its on the A-pillar on the front passenger side. I have removed the plastic (triangle) panel on the door frame and once removed there is no rattle. Obviously can't drive with that off but it looks like the plastic piece not quite flush or it's warped or something.

I agree, if the truck wasn't so quite, I probably wouldn't hear it but it's annoying. Usually happens when I go slower and there is a passenger with me. Without a passenger it doesn't seem to rattle as much. odd.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
I had this exact problem and solved it. It wasn't the pillar on my truck, it was that triangular black piece of plastic just under that tweeter speaker. It's clipped on with those stereotypical metal clips and all I did to fix it was pull it off and reseat it where it apparently isn't rubbing anymore on the adjacent parts and pieces.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same issue and its on the A-pillar on the front passenger side. I have removed the plastic (triangle) panel on the door frame and once removed there is no rattle. Obviously can't drive with that off but it looks like the plastic piece not quite flush or it's warped or something.

I agree, if the truck wasn't so quite, I probably wouldn't hear it but it's annoying. Usually happens when I go slower and there is a passenger with me. Without a passenger it doesn't seem to rattle as much. odd.
I had this exact problem and solved it. It wasn't the pillar on my truck, it was that triangular black piece of plastic just under that tweeter speaker. It's clipped on with those stereotypical metal clips and all I did to fix it was pull it off and reseat it where it apparently isn't rubbing anymore on the adjacent parts and pieces.
Can you guys post a picture of what you are talking about regarding the (1) "Plastic (triangle) panel on the door frame" and "that triangular black piece of plastic just under that tweeter speaker." I just had a look at those areas of my Lightning, and I don't see anything triangular.

Thanks!

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford F-150 Lightning Dashboard - A Pillar Creaking Tj3wy1E

this is the part. My truck is at the dealer so I can't take a picture of mine.

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this creaking noise concern? Thank you!
I have the exact same problem on my 2023 Lightning Lariat. I picked up the truck last Tuesday.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tj3wy1E.jpg

Ah, I get it. That is the plastic piece adjacent to where the side view mirror connects to the door, correct?

I think my issue is originating at the interface between the long plastic piece covering the inside of the A-pillar and the dashboard. Will keep that triangle in mind.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the exact same problem on my 2023 Lightning Lariat. I picked up the truck last Tuesday.
I'm glad I raised this. All the creaking chickens are coming home to roost. Seems it must be some sort of tolerance/fit issue.

BP from C137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER ; 2022 Polestar 2
I had a noise from that same area. My noise was coming from the panel on the side of the dash. Its held on by those metal clips. I just popped it of and put it back. That kept it quiet for about a month then it started again. I just popped it of again to fix it. Next time, I'm adding some silicone lubricant to it.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Tj3wy1E.jpg

Exact same issue for me. Mine resulted in a "ticking" sound like too hard pieces knocking against each other. Messing with this piece fixed it.

OP
OP

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a noise from that same area. My noise was coming from the panel on the side of the dash. Its held on by those metal clips. I just popped it of and put it back. That kept it quiet for about a month then it started again. I just popped it of again to fix it. Next time, I'm adding some silicone lubricant to it.
I had stubbornly and stupidly thought it was coming from the dashboard/A Pillar Interface. I should have listened to you two. I had not driven the vehicle for the last 10 days of the year, and it was getting really annoying this past week.

I used my plastic putty knife, popped open that panel on the passenger side of the dash that includes an HVAC vent to the passenger side front window. My clips were all plastic. I took a Q Tip and some Vaseline petrolatum jelly, swabbed the clips on the part and the receptacles for the clips, and the creaking noise is gone.

Now the truck is too quiet. :cool:
Sponsored