• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does the truck have to be "on" to get pro power to work?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
:Leave the truck and ProPower ON
:the truck doesn't 'care' that it is ON, or even how LONG it is left ON
:LOCK the truck, usually from either the keyfob, OR the Ford app
:no one can enter the truck, therefore it doesn't matter if the truck is left ON

I have left my truck ON, in public places, quite often. I simply lock the doors, and it keeps my fridge operating. Unlike our past 100 years of experience with 'running' vehicles, the truck doesn't care whether it's ON or OFF - it's up to you to tell it so.

There IS also a setting that you may want to employ: the TIMING for the truck to turn OFF when not in gear. Set it to 'NEVER'. You can also set the ProPower ON/OFF limit to a low 'miles' number, so that the truck doesn't automatically turn OFF the ProPower when you least expect it. It's a safety feature, to keep someone from accidentally totally discharging the battery when using ProPower.

I have also left my truck ON, while powering my CAMPER, and while the truck is being CHARGED from a 240v 50amp campground outlet. The only current 'annoyance' is the main screen stays on the whole time - I used a small towel to cover it. The center screen can be toggled off, though. The 'charging ring' can also be toggled off, if you don't want others to see it glowing all night.
Did the Pro Power shut off when your truck got to full charge? Maybe you had enough load that you didn't get full, but that is another annoyance.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the truck reaching a full charge should not change any aspects of whether the truck is left ON or not... the only time it has made a difference is when unplugging at a DC Fast Charger - for some reason, the truck is turned OFF, whether you like it or not... small annoyance.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Old thread but I actually used pro-power last evening to power my house. Very handy! Right at supper time the power went out for about 3 hours. I went the cheap route & have it to power from the bed 240 outlet and it powered the house to cook supper & continue life as normal until the power was restored.
😊

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I got excited to see this thread bumped, thinking someone figured out how to activate the outlets without leaving the truck on.

I still keep hoping this gets changed.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I don't doubt that it would be more of a perceived convenience to not have to leave the truck 'ON' in order to use ProPower, but you might also not like this if someone decides to use your bed outlets without your prior approval, or knowledge. Yes, you can certainly LOCK the truck while it remains on, but the engineers might have felt like there could be situation where the truck being unlocked, or even locked while the bed gate is down, and there would be access to the 'active' bed outlets.

It also may be set this way in order to protect the owner from draining all the energy from the battery, with no alert, and no way to 'get home'. I don't look at the leaving the truck 'ON' as any annoyance: the only real difference is the driver screen remains active, and that's probably so that you can see data and info, thru the window, without having to be in the truck. I use a hand towel to simply 'cover' the driver screen when I leave the truck 'ON' overnight.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I don't doubt that it would be more of a perceived convenience to not have to leave the truck 'ON' in order to use ProPower, but you might also not like this if someone decides to use your bed outlets without your prior approval, or knowledge. Yes, you can certainly LOCK the truck while it remains on, but the engineers might have felt like there could be situation where the truck being unlocked, or even locked while the bed gate is down, and there would be access to the 'active' bed outlets.

It also may be set this way in order to protect the owner from draining all the energy from the battery, with no alert, and no way to 'get home'. I don't look at the leaving the truck 'ON' as any annoyance: the only real difference is the driver screen remains active, and that's probably so that you can see data and info, thru the window, without having to be in the truck. I use a hand towel to simply 'cover' the driver screen when I leave the truck 'ON' overnight.
This is all fine and good. Well not really, I dont agree with any of your points as a good reason... but either it's all moot.

Ford has said it is coming to the 2024's (or at least the Platinum Black) and from my understanding likely will be coming via Software Update to all in the future.

"the Pro Power Onboard system now operates even when the truck is switched off."

See link below

https://www.billbrownford.net/ford-...tning-platinum-black-edition-bill-brown-ford/
Sponsored