• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Driving into the Kansas charging abyss this weekend

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
This coming weekend I’m heading to Kansas City with my SR XLT. 210 miles of no DC fast charging available. the preferred route is between the two ABRP routes shown.

Getting there shouldn’t be a problem with some conservative driving and 100% starting charge. Getting a full charge coming home could be a challenge.

In one of the ICE vehicles it is a 3:30 trip
Ford F-150 Lightning Driving into the Kansas charging abyss this weekend 9ED23E02-B7D1-41C5-AB00-C6C84C0E0FDE

Finding several J1772 options that look like this.
Ford F-150 Lightning Driving into the Kansas charging abyss this weekend E9C03268-AF2E-467E-A778-FC1D281684F6
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That's why the $7.5B package is so necessary. There are too many states like Kansas.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
PA is another one like this
I have actually had really good luck in PA. Drove Albany, NY to Pittsburg, PA and back twice so far and no issues with DC fast chargers. Plenty of chargers available on a few different route options. Enough that I could pick a chose a bit to stop at preferred locations for things like lunch. What part of PA are you seeing the issues in?

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I just came back from a trip from the Dallas area to Mississippi and I had a 220 mi route between chargers. And even worse, once I got to the end of that 220 mi route, there was only a 26 kW charger. On the way back it was worse because I had to charge to about 93% on that 26 kW charger. Why there are no chargers along the I-20? Corridor is beyond me? In the big city of Shreveport Louisiana, there is not a single electrifier, America or other fast charger that I can use. So I had to take the long route to get to my destination. And to top it all off, that 26 kW charge point charger, charge $25 per hour. And I spent 2 hours there on the way back.

Sponsored

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
I have actually had really good luck in PA. Drove Albany, NY to Pittsburg, PA and back twice so far and no issues with DC fast chargers. Plenty of chargers available on a few different route options. Enough that I could pick a chose a bit to stop at preferred locations for things like lunch. What part of PA are you seeing the issues in?
NE Pa, Bradford/Sullivan Counties. There are 2 chargers within 45 mins of where I stay, and they are both at a hotel which I am not staying at. The next closest one is 1hr drive away.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
NE Pa, Bradford/Sullivan Counties. There are 2 chargers within 45 mins of where I stay, and they are both at a hotel which I am not staying at. The next closest one is 1hr drive away.
Yeah, I kind of skim around that area. I come down I-88 to Binghamton, NY, then I-81 S through Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to I-80 W. Plenty of chargers on that route.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just came back from a trip from the Dallas area to Mississippi and I had a 220 mi route between chargers. And even worse, once I got to the end of that 220 mi route, there was only a 26 kW charger. On the way back it was worse because I had to charge to about 93% on that 26 kW charger. Why there are no chargers along the I-20? Corridor is beyond me? In the big city of Shreveport Louisiana, there is not a single electrifier, America or other fast charger that I can use. So I had to take the long route to get to my destination. And to top it all off, that 26 kW charge point charger, charge $25 per hour. And I spent 2 hours there on the way back.
The DC "fast" charger that is furthest south heading out of KC is a 26KWh charger at a Harley dealership. The price is $0.05 per minute which is $30 per hour. If you got a full 26 KWH in that hour it would be at best $ 1.15 per KWh. Yikes.

Edit. Bad math on my part. Off by a factor of 10 would be $3.00 per hour.

Maybe not too bad if you are charging an electric Harley. Not so good for a Lightning.

Last edited:

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Getting there shouldn’t be a problem with some conservative driving and 100% starting charge. Getting a full charge coming home could be a challenge.
Having done the route from Tulsa, OKC and Austin several times strongly urge that you go thru 44 and 49. ABRP is wrong on this one. The only other alternate is thru Wichita which is too long.

That way your biggest DCFC gap is 135 miles between Joplin and the new Harrisonville DCFC. There are lot more chargers on 44 and you will not have to think much on where to charge. Makes it so much easier all around.

Your risks are much higher on Highway 75 that something will go wrong esp. with an SR. The state highways are just not well connected.

I know you are thinking 210 mile range, but have you checked the wind direction when you plan to travel? IME you could easily find yourself well under 150 miles of range into a stiff Kansas headwind. Not to be underestimated.

Finally- When you do get to KC be aware none of 50 kw DCFC chargers that are there will work with the lightning as they are gen-1 CCS chargers. The EVgo, Chargepoint and EA stations work. I have tested most of them.

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
According to plugshare there are a fair number of campgrounds with 14-50 outlets, as an emergency resort, along your route.

Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
The DC "fast" charger that is furthest south heading out of KC is a 26KWh charger at a Harley dealership. The price is $0.05 per minute which is $30 per hour. If you got a full 26 KWH in that hour it would be at best $ 1.15 per KWh. Yikes.

Maybe not too bad if you are charging an electric Harley. Not so good for a Lightning.
Wait....:unsure:...5 cents a minute X 60 minutes would be $3

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Having done the route from Tulsa, OKC and Austin several times strongly urge that you go thru 44 and 49. ABRP is wrong on this one. The only other alternate is thru Wichita which is too long.

That way your biggest DCFC gap is 135 miles between Joplin and the new Harrisonville DCFC. There are lot more chargers on 44 and you will not have to think much on where to charge. Makes it so much easier all around.

Your risks are much higher on Highway 75 that something will go wrong esp. with an SR. The state highways are just not well connected.

I know you are thinking 210 mile range, but have you checked the wind direction when you plan to travel? IME you could easily find yourself well under 150 miles of range into a stiff Kansas headwind. Not to be underestimated.

Finally- When you do get to KC be aware none of 50 kw DCFC chargers that are there will work with the lightning as they are gen-1 CCS chargers. The EVgo, Chargepoint and EA stations work. I have tested most of them.
Just finished a weekend trip to the Lake of the Ozarks and had plenty of Electrify America options all of which charged at 160+ KWh on initial charging into my SR. I managed to average 2.1 miles per KWh with a majority of that at 76 mph on 44.

I think with conservative driving I won't have any issues (Hwy 169 is the preferred route). However if I do run into some headwinds then there are a bunch of 6KWh J1772 options along the way. I plan on checking two or three of the J1772 chargers on my way up (Independence, Chanute and Humboldt).

Even an hour spent at a J1772 would save me a bunch more time than travelling all the way to Joplin and Harrisonville. Most everything I'm doing in KC is on the Kansas side.

Have you used the EV Go charger at Oak Park Mall in Overland Park? I figure I'll re-charge there on arrival.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
As stated Highway 75 should be avoided. If you do take the turnpike. There are supposed to be DC Fast Chargers at all the turnpike rest areas in Kansas. I haven't stopped to check them out but I know they have them at some of the stops. Towne East Square which is not far off of the Turnpike in Wichita has EA DC fast chargers.
Sponsored