• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Efficiency numbers (m/kWh) with Splash Guards/Mudflaps?

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Hello All!

I’ve been following everyone’s efficiency numbers and I seem to be on the low side. Doesn’t matter if mostly highway (55-60mph) interstate (70 mph) or around town. I usually end up around 1.7 kWh. My average over my 700 miles so far is 1.8 kWh. I do all the “things” not goosing it, getting 100% regen scores, not using cabin heat, etc. Yes, where I am is wintertime…but even at 40-50 degrees it doesn't change much. I just saw a trip report of someone in Colorado, driving 600 miles in 20-30 degree temps and averaged 2.3-2.5 m/kWh!

So, here is my question. Does anyone else on here have Mudflaps installed?? That is the only thing I can think of that is hampering me. Is it screwing up the aerodynamics that much? Mine are the Ford splash guards that say “Lightning” on them. Would love to hear experiences from others in cold climates right now with Mudflaps. I have a Pro with 18” factory AT tires.

Thanks for reading everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I am averaging in cold mornings 2.0-2.4 and in the afternoon when it’s warmer around 40-50 3.0-3.5. All 40-50mph speeds with no preconditioning. I have the ford hard plastic mudflaps.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
I have them. I honestly can't say Ive done any testing but my numbers have been constant. I definitely did not notice any reduction. my normal driving is 1.9-2.0

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am averaging in cold mornings 2.0-2.4 and in the afternoon when it’s warmer around 40-50 3.0-3.5. All 40-50mph speeds with no preconditioning. I have the ford hard plastic mudflaps.
Wow.
You definitely have lower average speeds than me. Curious if the impact increases dramatically with speed increase? Thank you!

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have them. I honestly can't say Ive done any testing but my numbers have been constant. I definitely did not notice any reduction
Thanks. I put mine on the first day I had it, so I didn’t have and pre and post data. Thank you for the experience you’ve had. You’re numbers are at least closer to mine..makes me feel a little better!

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. I put mine on the first day I had it, so I didn’t have and pre and post data. Thank you for the experience you’ve had.
Since I got the truck in december I have no warm weather experience yet. but my commute is 25 miles with 75% highway (60-75mph) and that's where i get 1.9-2.0 in 30-40F weather. I don't precondition but I do occasionally remote start while plugged in if my ford pass is working.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No mudflaps on mine, but I am also seeing an overall average of 1.8. In my morning commute I get about ~1.4mi/kWh with average speeds of 35 to 40mph (slight uphill) and I get closer to ~2.0mi/kWh on the way home with average speeds of 25-30mph (slight downhill and typically warmer).

Highway driving between 70 and 75, I have been seeing anywhere from 1.4 to 2.0 depending on temp and terrain. Most recent relatively flat trip (80 mi, 40% of the battery consumed each way) averaged 1.5mi/kWh with the cruise set at 72 for ~60 miles and the remainder at 45 to 55mph on secondaries.

The only time I see anything north of ~2.1 is when I am on a long downhill stretch.

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since I got the truck in december I have no warm weather experience yet. but my commute is 25 miles with 75% highway (60-75mph) and that's where i get 1.9-2.0 in 30-40F weather. I don't precondition but I do occasionally remote start while plugged in if my ford pass is working.
My commute sounds close to yours with similar speeds and similar weather. Usually 1.7 to 1.8.
Taking my first road trip this weekend and my numbers have me a little concerned especially without a bad headwind or colder temps. Oh well! Haha.

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No mudflaps on mine, but I am also seeing an overall average of 1.8. In my morning commute I get about ~1.4mi/kWh with average speeds of 35 to 40mph (slight uphill) and I get closer to ~2.0mi/kWh on the way home with average speeds of 25-30mph (slight downhill and typically warmer).

Highway driving between 70 and 75, I have been seeing anywhere from 1.4 to 2.0 depending on temp and terrain. Most recent relatively flat trip (80 mi, 40% of the battery consumed each way) averaged 1.5mi/kWh with the cruise set at 72 for ~60 miles and the remainder at 45 to 55mph on secondaries.

The only time I see anything north of ~2.1 is when I am on a long downhill stretch.
Ok, that sounds more like my numbers as well.
Maybe I am reading too much into some other peoples trip logs where they seem to be getting much better numbers than me with similar conditions. Who knows?
Thanks for your input!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok, that sounds more like my numbers as well.
Maybe I am reading too much into some other peoples trip logs where they seem to be getting much better numbers than me with similar conditions. Who knows?
Thanks for your input!
Yeah, I have no idea how those folks are getting those numbers. heck, we have a hard time getting to those numbers with our Mach-e!

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My commute sounds close to yours with similar speeds and similar weather. Usually 1.7 to 1.8.
Taking my first road trip this weekend and my numbers have me a little concerned especially without a bad headwind or colder temps. Oh well! Haha.
I did precondition once back in February just to try it out. I can't remember if I had the flaps on at that point. But I did get 2.3 that day which showed that it does help.

OP
OP

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did precondition once back in February just to try it out. I can't remember if I had the flaps on at that point. But I did get 2.3 that day which showed that it does help.
Yeah, I actually tried preconditioning the other morning as well because I was curious and wanted to prepare for my road trip. Took a ton of energy (I was plugged in still) but I did see a slight difference as well. Not practical for my daily driving, but I’ll probably use it before I leave on the first leg of my trip.

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
I always add mud flaps on all my EVs and have never noticed any change in actual range / efficiency.

The Lightning is a massive EV so 1.7 - 2 mi/kWh seems acceptable.
For reference my BMW i3 average is 4.6 mi/kWh and Model 3 is 6.3 mi/kWh both using same speed and same 18 mile route, most of that is 63 - 70 mph.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Splash guards have a negligible impact.

Yes, speed has a huge impact.

Temperatures have a huge impact. Set a departure time, and on a trip make sure the chargers are in the navigation, which will warm the battery 18.7 miles before the charger.

Terrain has a huge impact. Some people live in a flat land. Some people have hills. Some drive up them, some just seem to go downhill. All has an impact.

You are driving a brick.

On a recent trip with my Mach-E, I drove 2,960 miles from SE Michigan to Florida, and back. Speeds in the 73 - 77 mile range. My lowest efficiency leg was 2.5, my highest was 3.0. That's a spread of about 25%. Going down the hills of Tennessee vs. going up the hills of Tennessee. Driving across the middle of Florida vs headed back up the coast.

Gewalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro (no options)
The mudflaps/splash guards have an outsized impact on some other EVs' range so you're right to question this but the lion's share of the low-hanging fruit for efficiency are slowing down (aero) and not running the cabin heat since it's a resistance heater/PTC. Since you already mentioned those there are other factors out of your control like headwinds and wet or chipseal roads that hurt efficiency significantly.
Sponsored