• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I have to admit, "charging attendants" like at a full serve gas station, had never even crossed my mind as a potential model for EV charging.

ALTHOUGH...I could see the value of having an attendant to switch charging cables when a vehicle was done so you wouldn't need to come out an move the car if you were getting a coffee or something. For a very high volume charging operation this might be needed.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I have to admit, "charging attendants" like at a full serve gas station, had never even crossed my mind as a potential model for EV charging.

ALTHOUGH...I could see the value of having an attendant to switch charging cables when a vehicle was done so you wouldn't need to come out an move the car if you were getting a coffee or something. For a very high volume charging operation this might be needed.
The ABCs of EV. Always be charging. It works like that for the car and the charge station. If electrons are not going in, then the car should be unplugged and the next car should get the charging opportunity. If only the cables were longer (too heavy and costly due to the large cables required for high amp transfer) and could reach all corners of the car.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Let's get Alec Baldwin to do some PSA commercials!

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots giphy

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I mean we shouldn't be a menace to society either. I know a couple of minutes might not seem like much, but it can really add up in local driving.
That depends on the charging speed. 3 minutes of level 1 charging would be basically useless. Even level 2 charging wouldn't be very meaningful. I don't think anyone has even started looking wireless DC fast charging.

L1 (20A @120V) = 2.4kW if you figure a 40% charging loss for wireless and a 3 minute stop, that would add .07kwhrs to your battery - enough to drive about 700ft in a Lightning

L2 (50A @ 240V) = 11kW. Using the same factors that would add ~0.3kW into your battery - enough for a little over half a mile.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I agree with this writer, charging infrastructure in New England is surprisingly bad. Especially north of Manchester, NH/Portland, ME, where many New Englanders travel on vacation. It's essentially a DCFC wasteland up there.

The Plugshare map for DCFC >120kW shows one EA charger in Portland and a couple in central VT. The main travel routes up to the White Mountain NF and the NH/ME ski areas are on I-93 and Rt. 16, zero 150kW stations on those routes after Manchester on 93 and right at the coast if you're coming up from the Rt 16 side. At least on I-95 you can get a 150kW in Portland area. I'm going up to Bar Harbor and Bangor in July. Again, Bar Harbor is a very popular destination but it's a 335 mile round trip from the Portland EA station. There are some 50/62.5kW stations in between that can fill in the gap a little (It will still take planning and significant extra time to hit those stations). I'm really surprised that EA or someone else hasn't put chargers in these areas yet.

51960809680_6c82676951_c.jpg
Chalice!

C'est facile. Il suffit de passer par le Canada.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I wonder if we'll see any gas station retrofits when a tank is due for replacement. I don't think it's cost effective to cut bait on a perfectly good tank, but replacing one is expensive, and if the gas volume is not there, an EV station retrofit would make good use of the overhead infrastructure.

Many Superchargers on the east coast are located at Sheetz gas stations. This is great as EV charging drives more people inside where people spend more money. Gas stations typically derive most of their revenue from people who come in for snacks or cigarettes, and you have a more captive audience when you're catering to an EV driver who will be there for 20+ minutes.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I should note, there are *plenty* of Superchargers up north of me beyond the available non-Tesla DCFCs. Between I-93/I-95/Rt.16 there are at least a dozen Superchargers north of the the last non-Tesla DCFC. :confused:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
That depends on the charging speed. 3 minutes of level 1 charging would be basically useless. Even level 2 charging wouldn't be very meaningful. I don't think anyone has even started looking wireless DC fast charging.

L1 (20A @120V) = 2.4kW if you figure a 40% charging loss for wireless and a 3 minute stop, that would add .07kwhrs to your battery - enough to drive about 700ft in a Lightning

L2 (50A @ 240V) = 11kW. Using the same factors that would add ~0.3kW into your battery - enough for a little over half a mile.
This is very true. It’s based on the assumption of higher speed charging. With L2, you’d need essentially constant charging while moving.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Many Superchargers on the east coast are located at Sheetz gas stations. This is great as EV charging drives more people inside where people spend more money. Gas stations typically derive most of their revenue from people who come in for snacks or cigarettes, and you have a more captive audience when you're catering to an EV driver who will be there for 20+ minutes.
I live in upstate NY and make the trip to DC often for business and down to NC to visit family. I have seen the EA stations pop up at Sheetz and a few Loves travel stops. These are great. It would be awesome for Pilot or Loves ink a deal with EA to get chargers at nearly every truck stop. (That would solve a lot of issues with finding/locating chargers on the road).

For every EA charger at a great location (Convenience store) I'm seeing more in Wal Mart parking lots(esp in the deep south and midwest). These are not as useful, IMHO.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I agree with this writer, charging infrastructure in New England is surprisingly bad. Especially north of Manchester, NH/Portland, ME, where many New Englanders travel on vacation. It's essentially a DCFC wasteland up there.

The Plugshare map for DCFC >120kW shows one EA charger in Portland and a couple in central VT. The main travel routes up to the White Mountain NF and the NH/ME ski areas are on I-93 and Rt. 16, zero 150kW stations on those routes after Manchester on 93 and right at the coast if you're coming up from the Rt 16 side. At least on I-95 you can get a 150kW in Portland area. I'm going up to Bar Harbor and Bangor in July. Again, Bar Harbor is a very popular destination but it's a 335 mile round trip from the Portland EA station. There are some 50/62.5kW stations in between that can fill in the gap a little (It will still take planning and significant extra time to hit those stations). I'm really surprised that EA or someone else hasn't put chargers in these areas yet.

You look at their nationwide map and there are HUGE gaps in the center of the US. implementation needs to improve in areas beyond the huge metropolitan centers if the politicians have any chance of meeting their pipe dream of 100% EV usage. Many of us that live in the MidWest will have a challenge of finding places to charge on long trips for several years to come and will have to be creative :(

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE

I'm thinking these "oasis" will be the basis of the next homeless camps....bathrooms, fast food, lounge chairs...hey it sounds perfect!

Mike

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
It would be awesome for Pilot or Loves ink a deal with EA to get chargers at nearly every truck stop. (That would solve a lot of issues with finding/locating chargers on the road).

For every EA charger at a great location (Convenience store) I'm seeing more in Wal Mart parking lots(esp in the deep south and midwest). These are not as useful, IMHO.
Yes! Another added benefit is that truck stops are open 24 hours, which has safety and amenity implications.

It's not fun charging an electric car at midnight in a deserted Walmart parking lot.
Sponsored