• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apple Maps navigation and charging settings

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
I have a round trip route that I make at least once per month. It’s about 190 miles round trip for my ER Lariat. I usually charge to 100% before I make the trip in case I want to make some additional stops. If I make no additional stops I usually arrive back home with at least 30% charge. I typically use Apple Maps to make sure there are no traffic incidents on my route. But every time on my way home Apple Maps is determined that I need to stop and charge to get home. It will constantly re-route me to the nearest chargers. I can’t find any settings to adjust Apple Maps to change this behavior. Does anyone know if these settings exist?
Sponsored

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It doesn't exist in apple maps yet that I know of. Heck, apple maps won't even let you see the chargers it schedules you for on a trip. The last situation that I was in that I was using apple maps in a scenario like yours where I knew I could make it home without a charge and it was wanting me to stop, I just went to the Ford map and zoomed out so I could see the circle area of where I could make it to and my home was well within that range so I just ignored the charging stop.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I switch over to google maps in that situation because Apple Maps is so annoying and would route you to bizarre routes to get a charge.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
It doesn't exist in apple maps yet that I know of. Heck, apple maps won't even let you see the chargers it schedules you for on a trip. The last situation that I was in that I was using apple maps in a scenario like yours where I knew I could make it home without a charge and it was wanting me to stop, I just went to the Ford map and zoomed out so I could see the circle area of where I could make it to and my home was well within that range so I just ignored the charging stop.
my last trip, Apple Maps bypassed a known good charging location and took me to a yet to be opened GM Ultium location. Really nice that I had to then scramble to find a location on my way home. Ended up driving about 30 minutes out of the way for a 5 min charge.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
On longer trips, I use ABRP and PlugShare. I use Apple Maps to monitor the traffic but when I figure out what charging station I want to go to next, I put that into the Ford native navigation so it can precondition the battery before I get there.

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
My Apple Maps recently told me I needed to stop at a charger, which I knew wasn’t necessary, and then several minutes later Apple told me the charging stop wasn’t needed and rerouted.

There must be some kind of minimum charge at arrival and if less than 20% or something it wants you to charge.

OP
OP

Drillerr

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram Limited
This has also been my experience. I just wish that it was adjustable.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
On longer trips, I use ABRP and PlugShare. I use Apple Maps to monitor the traffic but when I figure out what charging station I want to go to next, I put that into the Ford native navigation so it can precondition the battery before I get there.
I would use Ford navigation exclusively if it wouldn't take me down dirt roads on a trip, even though I have it set in the settings to keep me on paved roads only. I mean why even give me the option if it doesn't work?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
my last trip, Apple Maps bypassed a known good charging location and took me to a yet to be opened GM Ultium location. Really nice that I had to then scramble to find a location on my way home. Ended up driving about 30 minutes out of the way for a 5 min charge.
That's not an Apple Maps issue -- that's a GM issue, if they're reporting the charger as being a valid and operational location.

I don't know if it's my beta iOS release on my phone, but I can see the chargers that Apple Maps is routing me to, where others say they can not. Unfortunately, the truck still does not precondition for charging based on Apple Maps routing -- have to put in the charger destination in the Ford nav for that. And Ford's navigation is braindead when it comes to intelligently picking charge stops. Apple Maps isn't much better, it makes some really odd decisions when picking charge stops.

Still not a fan of ABRP, but they've made it a bit better for the Lightning and our region lately it seems. And it's still another tool in the toolbox. It historically has always micro-managed charge stops to the point of stopping 2.5~3X as often as actually needed. It always used the same routing algorithms and assumptions that they use in Europe, but it looks like Rivian has been improving on that. ....Never really understood why it had such a cult following here, nor why Rivian bought them other than for marketing reasons to entice that fan base.

While charging, I'll map out my next charge stop and set it as the destination in the Ford Nav and it will often try to route me to a different charger along the way. So dumb.
For now, all this route planning and charger planning is such a kludge of different half-assed tools. It's a real pain if you don't have a co-pilot on a road trip.

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Still not a fan of ABRP, but they've made it a bit better for the Lightning and our region lately it seems. And it's still another tool in the toolbox. It historically has always micro-managed charge stops to the point of stopping 2.5~3X as often as actually needed. It always used the same routing algorithms and assumptions that they use in Europe, but it looks like Rivian has been improving on that. ....Never really understood why it had such a cult following here, nor why Rivian bought them other than for marketing reasons to entice that fan base.
It took me years to learn to like ABRP. It has one of the most counter-intuitive UIs of any web app I’ve seen, which is problematic with that much complexity. But once I learned how to adjust a few settings, it became much more usable than any other trip planning tool I’ve tried.

My favorite feature is the ability to adjust highway consumption. The defaults are too optimistic, but I was able to accurately adjust it to account for reduced towing efficiency for two cross-country road trips in my Model Y last year. You can also adjust how low you’re willing to let your battery SOC go to, so I tell ABRP to arrive at charge stops at 10%.

If you don’t like how it acts, there’s usually a setting you can change.

Ford F-150 Lightning Apple Maps navigation and charging settings IMG_0137

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
It took me years to learn to like ABRP. It has one of the most counter-intuitive UIs of any web app I’ve seen, which is problematic with that much complexity. But once I learned how to adjust a few settings, it became much more usable than any other trip planning tool I’ve tried.

My favorite feature is the ability to adjust highway consumption. The defaults are too optimistic, but I was able to accurately adjust it to account for reduced towing efficiency for two cross-country road trips in my Model Y last year. You can also adjust how low you’re willing to let your battery SOC go to, so I tell ABRP to arrive at charge stops at 10%.

If you don’t like how it acts, there’s usually a setting you can change.

IMG_0137.jpeg
93 mph!!!!?
Sponsored