• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Announcement from Electrify America today:

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/175

It looks like the charger have a longer cable with a design that will make it much easier to plug in than the current chargers. The press release also features several renders with F150L. They also acknowledge the need for pull-through chargers. Hopefully they can deliver the design and layouts they're promising.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...ctrifyAmericasLookbookTheFutureofCharging.pdf

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 1648133679033

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 1648133705539

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 1648133724956

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 1648133772847

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 1648133671559
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
just like a gas pump i can see a moron screwing that system up by not pulling all the way up

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Now we just need to agree on proper DC plug placement on the vehicle. Front vs rear on a truck with a long trailer could make a difference. If towing, rear placement may be better as far as how far the trailer sticks out behind the truck.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
just like a gas pump i can see a moron screwing that system up by not pulling all the way up
Maybe they can figure out how to make it so only the charger farthest ahead will work. :)

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Trailer friendly chargers are pretty much non-existent right now. Hopefully we start seeing these pop up soon.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Having a small lounge or shop/cafe at an EV charger "plaza" would be a huge improvement over what we have now. I don't want to walk across a huge wal mart parking lot to use the bathroom. A decent place to get a snack or beverage would be awesome.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Having a small lounge or shop/cafe at an EV charger "plaza" would be a huge improvement over what we have now. I don't want to walk across a huge wal mart parking lot to use the bathroom. A decent place to get a snack or beverage would be awesome.
Tesla has tons of these usually with 1-2 restaurants, an area for pets, and restrooms. These are usually destination locations and not inner city.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

That's actually a really excellent idea.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Now we just need to agree on proper DC plug placement on the vehicle. Front vs rear on a truck with a long trailer could make a difference. If towing, rear placement may be better as far as how far the trailer sticks out behind the truck.
I vote for under. Wireless pads please.

Then..put them everywhere there's a stoplight. There's already electrical there and at some point, there will be an EV that stops there.

I don't need 30 minutes at a charger ever if I can grab a bunch of 2-3 minute charges every time I stop.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I vote for under. Wireless pads please.

Then..put them everywhere there's a stoplight. There's already electrical there and at some point, there will be an EV that stops there.

I don't need 30 minutes at a charger ever if I can grab a bunch of 2-3 minute charges every time I stop.

And make red lights 5 minutes. I'm sure no one will mind. ?

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
And make red lights 5 minutes. I'm sure no one will mind. ?
I mean we shouldn't be a menace to society either. I know a couple of minutes might not seem like much, but it can really add up in local driving.

Trick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
From Autoblog

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/25/electrify-america-charging-station-oasis-destination/

Electrify America wants to improve the charging station experience for EV owners with a concept called "The Charging Station of the Future, Today." Boil all the jargon out of the press release, and you have the kind of destination charging experience that people have been talking about for years but that hasn't yet been built as regular practice. The EA concept includes a "customer oasis" to hang out in during the charging process, said space offering features like valet parking, lounges, room to host an event and vehicle showcase areas. The illustrations show lovely, well-lit parking lots and even a pull-through space long enough to accommodate a pickup and trailer. Check out the awnings with solar panels as well. EA says these are in the works now, with up to 500 chargers at 100 stations slated for such protection from the elements. The awnings will sending their captured energy to on-site battery storage stations.

This sounds like the luxurious Audi Charging Hub the German automaker opened in December for a trial run in Nuremburg. That's gone well enough to encourage a second Charging Hub headed for Zurich, Switzerland.

And it's all built around a next-generation charger. The stand will remain eight feet tall but occupy a smaller footprint, potentially allowing EA to install more chargers at a location. Instead of each charger having two plugs, there will be just one at the end of a cable management system able to reach the charging port anywhere on the vehicle. An improved screen will be brighter and more legible in direct sunlight.

We say this can't come soon enough. We tooled around New England in a Kia EV6 last week, and our experience with Electrify America stations in the region was so challenging and expensive that we were always happy to find a competitor station. It made us understand how Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess felt last summer when he publicly lambasted VW's European charging partner Ionity. (For those not aware, Electrify America is a wholly-owned subsidiary of VW, funded with $2 billion to help clear the smoke after dieselgate.)

The first locations to get these future chargers will be Beverly Hills, San Diego, San Francisco and Santa Barbara, California, and the New York City boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Openings in those cities are scheduled for this year and 2023. Bring it on.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I mean we shouldn't be a menace to society either. I know a couple of minutes might not seem like much, but it can really add up in local driving.
Fine. Make an EV charging lane with longer lights. :)

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
From Autoblog

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/03/25/electrify-america-charging-station-oasis-destination/

Electrify America wants to improve the charging station experience for EV owners with a concept called "The Charging Station of the Future, Today." Boil all the jargon out of the press release, and you have the kind of destination charging experience that people have been talking about for years but that hasn't yet been built as regular practice. The EA concept includes a "customer oasis" to hang out in during the charging process, said space offering features like valet parking, lounges, room to host an event and vehicle showcase areas. The illustrations show lovely, well-lit parking lots and even a pull-through space long enough to accommodate a pickup and trailer. Check out the awnings with solar panels as well. EA says these are in the works now, with up to 500 chargers at 100 stations slated for such protection from the elements. The awnings will sending their captured energy to on-site battery storage stations.

This sounds like the luxurious Audi Charging Hub the German automaker opened in December for a trial run in Nuremburg. That's gone well enough to encourage a second Charging Hub headed for Zurich, Switzerland.

And it's all built around a next-generation charger. The stand will remain eight feet tall but occupy a smaller footprint, potentially allowing EA to install more chargers at a location. Instead of each charger having two plugs, there will be just one at the end of a cable management system able to reach the charging port anywhere on the vehicle. An improved screen will be brighter and more legible in direct sunlight.

We say this can't come soon enough. We tooled around New England in a Kia EV6 last week, and our experience with Electrify America stations in the region was so challenging and expensive that we were always happy to find a competitor station. It made us understand how Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess felt last summer when he publicly lambasted VW's European charging partner Ionity. (For those not aware, Electrify America is a wholly-owned subsidiary of VW, funded with $2 billion to help clear the smoke after dieselgate.)

The first locations to get these future chargers will be Beverly Hills, San Diego, San Francisco and Santa Barbara, California, and the New York City boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Openings in those cities are scheduled for this year and 2023. Bring it on.

I agree with this writer, charging infrastructure in New England is surprisingly bad. Especially north of Manchester, NH/Portland, ME, where many New Englanders travel on vacation. It's essentially a DCFC wasteland up there.

The Plugshare map for DCFC >120kW shows one EA charger in Portland and a couple in central VT. The main travel routes up to the White Mountain NF and the NH/ME ski areas are on I-93 and Rt. 16, zero 150kW stations on those routes after Manchester on 93 and right at the coast if you're coming up from the Rt 16 side. At least on I-95 you can get a 150kW in Portland area. I'm going up to Bar Harbor and Bangor in July. Again, Bar Harbor is a very popular destination but it's a 335 mile round trip from the Portland EA station. There are some 50/62.5kW stations in between that can fill in the gap a little (It will still take planning and significant extra time to hit those stations). I'm really surprised that EA or someone else hasn't put chargers in these areas yet.

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Unveils New "Oasis" Charging Station and Charger Design. Press Release Features F150L and Pull-Through Charging Spots 51960809680_6c82676951_c
Sponsored