• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
I picked up my 2023 Lightning Pro last night, until purchasing one I had never seen a Pro in person.

I am a little late to the party here, but perhaps this information might be helpful for someone picking up a Pro in the future, as many reviews focus on the higher-end trims.

The Good:

Audio System:
I have the Pro, the base model; in past base model pickup trucks (Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, Ram) I have been less than impressed by the stock sound systems, and I was getting this without giving a listen. At first I did not like what I was hearing at all, the tonality was quite off, but then I started doing EQ; and color me impressed things came together. The top-end is not the most detailed, but the mids sound decent, and the lower end impressed me the most. For bass I like musical and accurate rather than loud and boomy. These speakers do NOT have a lot of low extension; that is fine, but with the tuning given the speakers aren't attempting to do some sort of low-mid 100-200hz wannabee bass (looking at you Bose). They go lower than I expected them to, for not having a sub, and they do what they do reasonably well; I actually think I prefer this stock system over my previous vehicles "upgraded Alpine Audio/Subwoofer" system. Additionally there was no "surround sound" nonsense, which I do not find to be additive in most vehicles (hint hint most music is recorded in stereo).

I should probably state my reasoning here, as it may be different than most. By profession I am an audio engineer, I work on a lot of systems and speakers are an integral part of my daily work flow. At my main job I normitively drive an L'Acoustics PA that has no less than 8x KS28's (brown note achieved); in a car system I am not looking for 90+ dBA nor am I looking for vision blurring bass, I tend to be conservative with my volume when driving. At home for my mixing setup I have a pair of high-end coaxial monitors, the monitors themselves extend to 20hz (ie no need for an external subwoofer); I am not expecting a vehicle to be that sort of reference system, I am not using my vehicle to dial in compression or to hear nuances (a listening/mixing room doesn't have road noise!). I am just looking for something decent; something that can play music without it being highly objectionable; something that allows me to be focused on the music rather than being bothered by the quality of the speakers. This stock system achieves that, I am getting what I expect out of a vehicle system, I realize that is a different goal than many others may have.

After a heft amount of EQ: taking back the top-end almost completely, adding a decent amount of mids, and not touching the bass), I think this vehicles system sounds quite decently balanced; no it is nothing astounding, but I don't know that I have a desire to replace it with anything either. The speaker drivers involved are probably horribly cheap yes, but I would like to thank whoever tuned this vehicle, I think they did a tremendous job with the resources they had and they did a good job in the DSP; in other words the tune is good, the tonality isn't, but the tonality is easily adjustable. For a stock system I think it is great, especially for a base model truck.

Frunk: This thing is just cool, I REALLY wish it was manual rather than automated for opening and closing though.

Headlights: They are great, there is a massive deer population where I live and the brights are the nicest I have used. My previous vehicle had fog lights, and I am not missing those on this one.

Heated Seats: The heated seats are incredible on this vehicle, they aren't just for toasting the buns, they actually go up the back as well. A lot of heated seats focus on the posterior area only, or only go up the back slightly. The seats were also powerfully warm; much more so than my previous vehicle. On most vehicles the "high" setting leaves me wanting, in the Lightening I actually had to go to the mid level of warmth after a while. It was glorious!

Screen: The 12 Inch screen feels massive, I personally would not like a larger one, and am especially happy to have more buttons.

The Niggling - granted these may be the gripes of someone who has had a Ram switching brands.

Gear Selector: I know the stick was an appeal to the traditional truck guys, but come on, what a waste of space. Even my previous diesel had a knob gear selector, it worked great and it allowed for more storage space up front.
Ford F-150 Lightning First Impressions of my 2023 Lightning Pro 13 4x4

Rear Storage: The Rear seat setup in the Ram was far preferable for me. I do miss that I could have some storage (floor packets) and a completely flat floor. Granted with the Frunk on this truck, this is a pretty small complaint; it was a super nice place to keep work gloves and ratchet straps though.
Ford F-150 Lightning First Impressions of my 2023 Lightning Pro 18 Rear Fold Flat

Ford F-150 Lightning First Impressions of my 2023 Lightning Pro Rear Storage

Sensor System: I came from a 2015 Ram, and I found those parking sensors to be easier for getting into tight spots than what the Ford has. They both work and I will get used to it, but out of the two I find Rams setup to be more helpful; although Ford gives a middle zone in the back. What I miss most was that my Ram gave spatial audio feedback for distances, as the sensors corresponded to different speakers in the system; so you could tell how close you were and which part of the vehicle it was simply by listening.
Ford F-150 Lightning First Impressions of my 2023 Lightning Pro 11 Parking Sensors

The Bad:

Audio/Screen Freezing:
When utilizing certain features it caused the screen and audio to both freeze; which is a little unfortunate for a new vehicle. When I went to camera view there was a loud audible glitch for several seconds until it unfroze. I am thinking this is a problem that I may need to get Ford or the dealership to look into, but first I will have to recreate it, currently I am slow charging so I will try to grab some video of the problem tomorrow. It seemed to happen when Andrioid Auto was the source rather than the radio or straight up Bluetooth.

Don't Sell My Data: I noticed in the app, that user data was automatically selected as being sold by Ford and that I had to manually tell them not to do this. Not cool.

Software Update Failure: This is not one I have experienced personally, however I was reading in the manual and have seen user issues where updates have failed, not allowing the vehicle to work. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! In my mind there are two acceptable options:

1) The computer has two separate partitions, when an update is needed the update is installed on the other unused partition; if it is successful on the next reboot it loads that it, if it unsuccessful it stays on the first partition; the end user never need know the update did not work. This is how cell phones work, they are not expensive, and I would expect that a vehicle would work this way too.

2) Or you do not have two partitions, but you do have a stable backup. When the new software does not work, the computer goes to the last stable software version; even 20-30 year old computers can do this. This is not hard.

Ford should make one of these options happen; there is no reason this should be a possibility in this day and age. This should be a non-issue.

----

I am super stoked to own this truck and I am looking forward to many miles ahead! As expected, and noted by many others, the software side of this vehicle leaves something to be desired.

Tundra
Sponsored

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E
Occupation
SWE
About the headlights, I also notice they seem to be adjusted very well. When passing most vehicles, the light falls below the other driver's window and mirrors

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You prefer the rear floor in the Ram? With the hump in the floor? Did you never have passengers back there?

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
You prefer the rear floor in the Ram? With the hump in the floor? Did you never have passengers back there?
I did forget about that hump, point taken. Still miss the storage while having things flat though. :cool: Again the Frunk more than makes up for that though.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Frunk: This thing is just cool, I REALLY wish it was manual rather than automated for opening and closing though.
A manual frunk would have required you to open the truck; pull a lever, and then walk back around to open it. With automated frunk you just use your key fob.
Screen: The 12 Inch screen feels massive, I personally would not like a larger one, and am especially happy to have more buttons.
You aren't missing much. If you ignore the bottom portion of 15" screen taken up by climate and the big dial, it really is only a 12" screen.

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
isn't the rear seat space storage larger in the f150 vs ram when the seats are folded up? you need a comparison photo

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You aren't missing much. If you ignore the bottom portion of 15" screen taken up by climate and the big dial, it really is only a 12" screen.
He doesn't know it, but he has the better setup. I'd kill for the 12" screen in my Lariat.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Glad you enjoy your Pro! Audio is personal preference, I get that. I found the Pro's system to be lifeless. I upgraded all speakers, hooked them up to an amp, and added a Subwoofer and it is night and day. You should see the $3 paper cones speakers Ford puts in these base model trucks.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
A manual frunk would have required you to open the truck; pull a lever, and then walk back around to open it. With automated frunk you just use your key fob.
The best scenario would be power unlatch but manual open/close, like most car trunks have been for 25 years.

Up to date Mach-Es do this.

Sponsored

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2023 F150 Lightning XLT -Ordered 10/3/23
He doesn't know it, but he has the better setup. I'd kill for the 12" screen in my Lariat.
I had a Mach-e with the 15”, that’s one of the main reasons I went for the XLT; I certainly prefer the 12” screen and Sync 4.

Bring able to have NAV and radio screens displaying at once is awesome. And physical buttons!

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
Glad you enjoy your Pro! Audio is personal preference, I get that. I found the Pro's system to be lifeless. I upgraded all speakers, hooked them up to an amp, and added a Subwoofer and it is night and day. You should see the $3 paper cones speakers Ford puts in these base model trucks.
I have no doubt what you have is better. Out of curiosity what did you do, and what was the cost?

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
The best scenario would be power unlatch but manual open/close, like most car trunks have been for 25 years.

Up to date Mach-Es do this.
^ This

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I have no doubt what you have is better. Out of curiosity what did you do, and what was the cost?
I splurged on the Sub and got the JL Powerwedge, which fits nicely behind the back seats. I pulled all speakers and replaced with component Infinity speakers with an Infinity powered amp. The speaker upgrade was around $300 for speakers and amp.

OP
OP

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio Engineer
I splurged on the Sub and got the JL Powerwedge, which fits nicely behind the back seats. I pulled all speakers and replaced with component Infinity speakers with an Infinity powered amp. The speaker upgrade was around $300 for speakers and amp.
How did you connect the amp to the head unit, are you bypassing the original DSP and did you roll your own?
Sponsored