• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First Impressions of a 2023 Lightning from a 2022 Owner

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I am in Day 1 of my 2023 Lariat ER experience after trading up from a 2022 Lariat SR. Everything is mostly the same as I expected it to be. Really the only difference I have noticed (other than range obviously) is the finish and feel of the steering wheel. The wheel of the 23 has a “cheaper“ feel to it. The material isn’t as soft and has a rougher texture than the 22. It’s not bad and I wouldn’t have had any thoughts about it had I not experienced a 22 but I think it’s a slight downgrade.

This 23 has power deployed running boards. This is a option I did not care about one way or the other previously but I have to say I hate them. They are really noisy and I find the sound jarring. Something I’ll get used to I’m sure.

The third difference between my two trucks is something I believe is a mechanical issue. I just made my first drive at highway speeds in the 23 and the truck was shaky starting at around 50 MPH. I am used to the ultra smooth ride in a Lightning so this stood out to me immediately. Any thoughts what this could be? Could the tires be out of balance from the factory?
Sponsored

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Get it to the dealer before 1k miles. There is a very narrow mileage window if a tire needs to be replaced under the tire warranty, which is not the same bumper to bumper warranty you are used to.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Out of balance, flat spots from sitting, cold NH weather? I remember all my vehicles had unique cold weather conditions each winter in Maine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Out of balance, flat spots from sitting, cold NH weather? I remember all my vehicles had unique cold weather conditions each winter in Maine.
I contacted my salesperson and they are claiming cold weather and/or flat spots. Told me to give it a few days.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Mine is silky smooth, it is very easy to speed accidentally. A tire shop will do a free or inexpensive balance and alignment check which means somebody will actually look at the tires and axels. . It is most likely square tires but it wouldn’t hurt to have an unbiased expert take a look. If it costs you anything it would be money well spent, even if it is just for your peace of mind.

I came from a 2020 ICE Lariat and the interior is definitely half a step or so lower. The steering wheel feels rough and the top of the dash is a sheet of cheap plastic that glares in the sun rather than wrapped. I love the truck but that was a bit of a disappointment and made me a bit hesitant to go with the Lariat rather than the XLT. The $7500 price drop made the sale for us.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Mine is silky smooth, it is very easy to speed accidentally. A tire shop will do a free or inexpensive balance and alignment check which means somebody will actually look at the tires and axels. . It is most likely square tires but it wouldn’t hurt to have an unbiased expert take a look. If it costs you anything it would be money well spent, even if it is just for your peace of mind.

I came from a 2020 ICE Lariat and the interior is definitely half a step or so lower. The steering wheel feels rough and the top of the dash is a sheet of cheap plastic that glares in the sun rather than wrapped. I love the truck but that was a bit of a disappointment and made me a bit hesitant to go with the Lariat rather than the XLT. The $7500 price drop made the sale for us.
Can you take a picture of your dash?

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
This 23 has power deployed running boards. This is a option I did not care about one way or the other previously but I have to say I hate them. They are really noisy and I find the sound jarring. Something I’ll get used to I’m sure.
I have the power-deployed running boards. They actually get quieter after a month or so. It seems they have a break-in period where they are really clunky and noisy initially. They are nicer for entering the truck since they deploy lower and more outboard than the fixed counterparts.

My pet peeve: They deploy with approach lightning. I wish this could be turned off without killing the approach lightning. I had to turn off the approach lighting because every time I walked by the truck it flapped its wings like a flightless metal duck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I
I have the power-deployed running boards. They actually get quieter after a month or so. It seems they have a break-in period where they are really clunky and noisy initially. They are nicer for entering the truck since they deploy lower and more outboard than the fixed counterparts.

My pet peeve: They deploy with approach lightning. I wish this could be turned off without killing the approach lightning. I had to turn off the approach lighting because every time I walked by the truck it flapped its wings like a flightless metal duck.
I can see that being annoying. I actually have approach lighting off because I walk by the truck frequently while working.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
The positive is at least it isn't like the Cybertruck roll up tonneau cover that sounds like a old roller-coaster...

In all seriousness, extreme cold always play hell.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On Order: 2022 F150 Raptor, Atlas Blue, 801a, PP
check tire pressure, that could be the culprit

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I had a 2018 Platinum (gas, obviously) with the power running boards. I loved them. You hardly noticed them or heard them going in or out. I was bummed they weren't available at the time I ordered my Lightning.

However, my dad purchased a 2023 gas F-150 with the power running boards that I drive occasionally and I am thanking the stars they weren't available because I'd have to either remove them or just leave them set to out always. His is incredibly loud and provide a bump you can feel when they finish moving. Jarring is the best word to describe them for sure.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I am used to the ultra smooth ride in a Lightning so this stood out to me immediately. Any thoughts what this could be? Could the tires be out of balance from the factory?
Shaking could be an issue of balance and/or alignment. But even if your truck is perfect the ERs ride harsher than the SRs. My Pro was buttery smooth, my Lariat ER is not so much. It's not terrible but it's not a comfy couch like the Pro was.
Sponsored