• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First road trip to Chatham, Massachusetts

tenkil622

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I recently took my first extended road trip in my SR 2022 Lariat to Chatham, Mass. Using the ChargeHub and Electrify America apps plus the Ford Pass, I preplanned my entire charging route along the I95 corridor. We left the Jersey Shore with a full 100% charge at 244 miles. My thought was to split the drive approximately in half, with our first charge planned for EA's charging station at Waterford Commons outside of New London, Conn. Because this site was about 2 miles off of I95, we opted to charge up at Madison, Conn. This charging site is located at the Madison rest area on I95, but is operated by Applegreen Utilities. At $.52 a KLW minute, it was about $.20 higher than EA, but it was very convenient. Being in our 70s, frequent bathroom stops and driver switches are mandatory, so this location was acceptable. Our next planned stop was the EA charging station on the Cape in Hyannis. Be forewarned...this is the ONLY high speed level 3 charger on the Cape! This charging station is about 6 miles off of Rt. 6, but is very easy to find with a GPS. They also have 2 Hyper Speed chargers at this location.
On the Cape we used one free level 2 charger at Chatham Bars Inn for about a 2 hour charge. On our return trip to Jersey, we again stopped at the Hyannis charging station, made a mid-trip stop at the Waterford Commons EA charger (ate at a Jersey Mikes) and arrived home with 40 miles of distance still in the tank.
In conclusion, with planning the trip to Chatham went well. I would and will do the trip again, but this time I would skip the Madison stop and get my first charge at Waterford Commons.
ps- You met the nicest and friendliest people at EV charging stations....at least that was our experience.
Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
I recently took my first extended road trip in my SR 2022 Lariat to Chatham, Mass. Using the ChargeHub and Electrify America apps plus the Ford Pass, I preplanned my entire charging route along the I95 corridor. We left the Jersey Shore with a full 100% charge at 244 miles. My thought was to split the drive approximately in half, with our first charge planned for EA's charging station at Waterford Commons outside of New London, Conn. Because this site was about 2 miles off of I95, we opted to charge up at Madison, Conn. This charging site is located at the Madison rest area on I95, but is operated by Applegreen Utilities. At $.52 a KLW minute, it was about $.20 higher than EA, but it was very convenient. Being in our 70s, frequent bathroom stops and driver switches are mandatory, so this location was acceptable. Our next planned stop was the EA charging station on the Cape in Hyannis. Be forewarned...this is the ONLY high speed level 3 charger on the Cape! This charging station is about 6 miles off of Rt. 6, but is very easy to find with a GPS. They also have 2 Hyper Speed chargers at this location.
On the Cape we used one free level 2 charger at Chatham Bars Inn for about a 2 hour charge. On our return trip to Jersey, we again stopped at the Hyannis charging station, made a mid-trip stop at the Waterford Commons EA charger (ate at a Jersey Mikes) and arrived home with 40 miles of distance still in the tank.
In conclusion, with planning the trip to Chatham went well. I would and will do the trip again, but this time I would skip the Madison stop and get my first charge at Waterford Commons.
ps- You met the nicest and friendliest people at EV charging stations....at least that was our experience.
Howdy, neighbor. I recognize your location. I'm not far from you at all on the other side of the same town. That's good to know. We have a 2022 ER Lariat.

Questions:
1. How long did it take to recharge at the first Madison, Conn Stop?
2. Same question for Hyannis Stop
3. Same question for Waterford Commons.

Thanks, and maybe will see you on the road. Ours is an Atlas Blue Lariat.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Next time you make this trip, optimize your charge at Waterford commons so you can take advantage of cheaper and convenient charging at EA in Dartmouth Mass just off i195 at the mall on RT-6, top off cheap there and as needed on cape in Hyannis

OP
OP

tenkil622

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Howdy, neighbor. I recognize your location. I'm not far from you at all on the other side of the same town. That's good to know. We have a 2022 ER Lariat.

Questions:
1. How long did it take to recharge at the first Madison, Conn Stop?
2. Same question for Hyannis Stop
3. Same question for Waterford Commons.

Thanks, and maybe will see you on the road. Ours is an Atlas Blue Lariat.
Even though I'm out driving every day, albeit not that far from home, I've only seen 4 Lightnings on the road or in a parking lot. I didn't see any on my recent trip to Cape Cod. I've had mine since August of 2022, but with only 5800 miles on the odometer, I guess I need to get out more often. The approximate stats for the Cape cod road trip are:
Madison, Conn.- 47 minutes for a 60% charge to an added 151 miles
Hyannis, Cape Cod- 52 minutes for a 75% charge to an added 172 miles (42 minutes were on a Hyper Charger 350 watts)
Waterford Commons, Conn.-50 minutes for a 62% charge to an added 143 miles.
I'm not a statistic wonk but the Battery Charge Log on the Ford Pass app does make it easier my notebook scribble.
I hope that helps.

OP
OP

tenkil622

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Next time you make this trip, optimize your charge at Waterford commons so you can take advantage of cheaper and convenient charging at EA in Dartmouth Mass just off i195 at the mall on RT-6, top off cheap there and as needed on cape in Hyannis
Yes, I was thinking of making that stop on the first leg of the road trip but the navigator was not comfortable going off campus (I95). The location in Waterford Commons was very easy to find, so possibly the Dartmouth stop will come into play on our next jaunt to the Cape. We had an offer to use a level 2 outlet for an overnight charge, but based on the KWH rates on the Cape I just didn't feel comfortable with it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I was thinking of making that stop on the first leg of the road trip but the navigator was not comfortable going off campus (I95). The location in Waterford Commons was very easy to find, so possibly the Dartmouth stop will come into play on our next jaunt to the Cape. We had an offer to use a level 2 outlet for an overnight charge, but based on the KWH rates on the Cape I just didn't feel comfortable with it.
Less than a mile and a straight shot off I-195 and easy return to the highway.
Ford F-150 Lightning First road trip to Chatham, Massachusetts 1684099622299
Sponsored