• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro Wiring Requirements (A/L1 and B/N)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Conduit size is part of the equation, but junction boxes are based on a box fill calculation. It also takes into account the number of conductors and the method of connecting the wires together. Split bolts, wire nuts etc.

I had five box fill questions on my state Masters test. They can get complicated.
That’s true, but generally a junction box (no devices) will be plenty big based on the conduit size rule. That will be 95% true when no more than 3 conduits are in play. That will be 100% true if it’s only being used as a pull box.
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I know that the listed load management feature allows reducing the feeder size and the load used for load calculation, but I still thought that each unit required its own disconnect and branch circuit.
625.40 requires “an individual branch circuit.” To me, that means 1 branch circuit for each piece of equipment.
But, I’ve been wrong before!
This one might come down to an AHJ and how stubborn they want to be. Good news is that 625.40 is brand new to the 2020 NEC which hasn't been adopted yet in the majority of the US. In my county, we're still using 2008. :)

The definition of EVSE does not limit it just to a unit, since the definition of EVSE says "The conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors, and the electric vehicle connectors, attachment plugs, personnel protection system, and all other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for the purpose of transferring energy between the premises wiring and the electric vehicle." Two wall connectors that participate in shared load balancing could be considered one unit from the perspective of the NEC.

I'd have to go back to the CMP minutes to see what they were aiming for with 625.40. But 625.47 also seems to anticipate a similar question, noting that "where equipment is identified for the application, more than one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply equipment."

Here would be my argument to an inspector (whose opinion is the only one that counts!):
Two Tesla gen 2 wall connectors are listed to form a single unit of Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment which performs appropriate load balancing as a system to multiple vehicles. Only a single outlet is necessary to connect to this EVSE as it operates as a unified system.

Now, if the AHJ disagrees, then it depends on how much effort (and potential $$) you're willing to put into fighting it. Appeals to the head inspector, the county board, and even lawsuits are potential remedies... or, you can just make them happy by running another set of wires.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
That’s true, but generally a junction box (no devices) will be plenty big based on the conduit size rule. That will be 95% true when no more than 3 conduits are in play. That will be 100% true if it’s only being used as a pull box.
I guess I got caught up with the post you were quoting. It had multiple connections because of 2 chargers.

If I had to guess, and it's been years since I've done a box fill calculation, depending on what type of connector is being used, that box would be considered undersized.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If the install pictured above is using #3, then it does violate NEC conduit fill rules as only 1 #3 THHN can fit in a 3/4" LFMC. If it's #4 (and max current set appropriately), then it's likely to be ok (but a tight fit).

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This one might come down to an AHJ and how stubborn they want to be. Good news is that 625.40 is brand new to the 2020 NEC which hasn't been adopted yet in the majority of the US. In my county, we're still using 2008. :)

The definition of EVSE does not limit it just to a unit, since the definition of EVSE says "The conductors, including the ungrounded, grounded, and equipment grounding conductors, and the electric vehicle connectors, attachment plugs, personnel protection system, and all other fittings, devices, power outlets, or apparatus installed specifically for the purpose of transferring energy between the premises wiring and the electric vehicle." Two wall connectors that participate in shared load balancing could be considered one unit from the perspective of the NEC.

I'd have to go back to the CMP minutes to see what they were aiming for with 625.40. But 625.47 also seems to anticipate a similar question, noting that "where equipment is identified for the application, more than one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply equipment."

Here would be my argument to an inspector (whose opinion is the only one that counts!):
Two Tesla gen 2 wall connectors are listed to form a single unit of Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment which performs appropriate load balancing as a system to multiple vehicles. Only a single outlet is necessary to connect to this EVSE as it operates as a unified system.

Now, if the AHJ disagrees, then it depends on how much effort (and potential $$) you're willing to put into fighting it. Appeals to the head inspector, the county board, and even lawsuits are potential remedies... or, you can just make them happy by running another set of wires.
I thought that was introduced in 2017, but you’re right, either way, it doesn’t apply to us! 😀

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
If the install pictured above is using #3, then it does violate NEC conduit fill rules as only 1 #3 THHN can fit in a 3/4" LFMC. If it's #4 (and max current set appropriately), then it's likely to be ok (but a tight fit).
That's 1" LFMC and an 8" box, for the record. There is no 3/4" conduit involved. The photo was shot from a bit of an odd angle as I was straddling the pile of firewood I had obviously only mostly moved out of the way of the work (when my kid got home, we moved the rest of it and built a proper wall to create the required clearance between the firewood nook and chargers).

Short lengths of 1" LFMC can be had from McMaster if you need just a bit of the stuff (it's of course exorbitantly expensive by the full coil). I don't know anywhere else that sells it in increments of less than 50', and the local supply house where I live will only sell 100' or 250'.

Last edited:

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Junction boxes are sized based on conduit size. NEC basically requires the dimension to be a minimum of 8 X the conduit trade size, so 1” pipe means 8” minimum.

Electricians I know all consider aluminum wire to be easier to work with (lighter and more flexible) than copper of equivalent ampacity. Of course that can be mitigated if using aluminum ends up needing bigger pipe. The cost advantage of aluminum has diminished in the last 2 months as copper prices have dropped while aluminum has held fairly steady.

The NEC does not permit 2 EVSEs on one branch circuit as shown in your picture.
Sorry to digress, but is that redwood siding?
I have redwood siding, and it gets black like that. We will install our charging unit in our garage.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Sorry to digress, but is that redwood siding?
I have redwood siding, and it gets black like that. We will install our charging unit in our garage.
It's western red cedar - about 40 years old and not very well maintained. It looks reddish brown in bright sunlight and purplish black in the shade. Bit of a green tinge from the "aged" polyurethane when the light hits it just wrong.

Comes from the mill smooth on one side and rough on the other and they built hundreds of houses around here with the same stuff rough-side-up on the outside of the building and smooth-side-up on the inside. On my street the carpenters were obviously stoned (and don't get me started on the plumbers and electricians) and installed it rough side up indoors too in some of the houses. Indoors, rough side up, it is basically unmaintainable, and even worse if you paint it. I have torn out more of the stuff than I could possibly explain.

Unfortunately I didn't think to save any, because as it turns out, you can't get it east of the Mississippi any more unless you want a truckload, and it has considerable salvage value for people working on the outside of their houses!

Last edited:

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
It's western red cedar - about 40 years old and not very well maintained. It looks reddish brown in bright sunlight and purplish black in the shade. Bit of a green tinge from the "aged" polyurethane when the light hits it just wrong.

Comes from the mill smooth on one side and rough on the other and they built hundreds of houses around here with the same stuff rough-side-up on the outside of the building and smooth-side-up on the inside. On my street the carpenters were obviously stoned (and don't get me started on the plumbers and electricians) and installed it rough side up indoors too in some of the houses. Indoors, rough side up, it is basically unmaintainable, and even worse if you paint it. I have torn out more of the stuff than I could possibly explain.

Unfortunately I didn't think to save any, because as it turns out, you can't get it east of the Mississippi any more unless you want a truckload, and it has considerable salvage value for people working on the outside of their houses!
LOL-preaching to the choir. We have the exact same deal here in NJ. California builder, house built in 1970. We bought in 2017. Previous owner did zero home maintenance. Most of the house was pitch black, and cedar looked like it had been treated with a flamethrower. We used a process of sanding off the "char," stripping whatever old stain was on the wood with a product called HD-30, then oxalic acid brightner--did that 3-4 times and stained with a stain by Armstrong-Clark. House looked much brighter/nicer. Held up for 4-5 years, and we did half the house last fall, and will do the other half this fall. Over time, the sun causes tannins in the would to come to the surface making it look black. I have a background in chemistry, and we did a deep dive on this. We like the siding, but sometimes it would be easier to wrap the house in vinyl siding.

Looks like you got your Lightning- when I get mind, we can get together for a Lightning-redwood party.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's 1" LFMC and an 8" box, for the record. There is no 3/4" conduit involved. The photo was shot from a bit of an odd angle as I was straddling the pile of firewood I had obviously only mostly moved out of the way of the work (when my kid got home, we moved the rest of it and built a proper wall to create the required clearance between the firewood nook and chargers).

Short lengths of 1" LFMC can be had from McMaster if you need just a bit of the stuff (it's of course exorbitantly expensive by the full coil). I don't know anywhere else that sells it in increments of less than 50', and the local supply house where I live will only sell 100' or 250'.
I stand corrected, thanks. I zoomed in and thought I saw a "3/4" on it in the markings on the side, and from the relative sizes in the photos it certainly looks like 3/4 (since LFMC always looks bulkier). All good.

From putting up solar PV projects, I usually have rolls of LFMC hanging around (you have to use metallic conduit for DC runs), so short lengths are easy to find here.

Thanks for clarifying.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Gents,
If I only want the charge function and not the "provide back up power to house" function then I just wire in L1, L2, and ground?? I can ignore the HVDC parts?

steve