• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Station Pro and Ford Pass not limiting charge rate.

jfb130

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I have the Ford ChargeStationPro installed, and the FordPass app installed on my phone. I’ve set the charge limit to 20 amp in the app but when I charge it’s still charging near 80 amps at 16Kw and not recognizing the charge limits in the FordPass app is there anything else I should be doing?

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Station Pro and Ford Pass not limiting charge rate. 1702605433080

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Station Pro and Ford Pass not limiting charge rate. IMG_0377

MODERATOR ACTION:
Redaction of PII in image files
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
... set the dial on the back of the CSP ... under the cover.

OP
OP

jfb130

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
... set the dial on the back of the CSP ... under the cover.
I would rather not have to take the cover off every time I want change the charge rate. I was hoping it would limit it through the software like it’s supposed to.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Understood
You asked; I answered ... quire a difference in charging rates between 80 amps and 20...
Do you have good connectivity between your truck and your app? Mine comes and goes and they have not been able to figure out why...

OP
OP

jfb130

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I would rather not have to take the cover off every time I want change the charge rate. I was hoping it would limit it through the software like it’s supposed to.
The app reports the charge rate in real time without any issue so I believe that there’s good connectivity.

Sponsored

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
I have the same problem with the FCSP. It randomly works, haven’t figured out a consistent workflow to do this reliably.

If I power cycle the FCSP and wait for it to get on WiFi then set it before plugging in, that seems to work the most often.

My other EVs I can adjust charge rate throughout the day to match solar production, one even from an API, wish any method worked reliably with FCSP, but none do.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The current limiter function VIA to Fordpass app is buggy, we've noticed this in recent weeks since the latest release, hopefully the next version will resolve the problem.

?? Why do you wish to limit the rate of charge??

OP
OP

jfb130

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
The current limiter function VIA to Fordpass app is buggy, we've noticed this in recent weeks since the latest release, hopefully the next version will resolve the problem.

?? Why do you wish to limit the rate of charge??
I have a whole home back up Tesla power wall system, and I want to keep it below the max rate that it will cover to transition to backup power in an outage. We have had a bunch of flashes lately and the power walls takeover when they happen. Basically don’t want to overload the Tesla power wall system in the event of an outage.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have a whole home back up Tesla power wall system, and I want to keep it below the max rate that it will cover to transition to backup power in an outage. We have had a bunch of flashes lately and the power walls takeover when they happen. Basically don’t want to overload the Tesla power wall system in the event of an outage.
That makes sense for the whole home backup situation, is there any way the electrician could place the 100 amp circuit outside the whole home panel or other side of the grid disconnect, a separate panel for only the EVSE? Or do you want the ability to slow charge the truck from the Tesla powerwall during outages ?

OP
OP

jfb130

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
That makes sense for the whole home backup situation, is there any way the electrician could place the 100 amp circuit outside the whole home panel or other side of the grid disconnect, a separate panel for only the EVSE? Or do you want the ability to slow charge the truck from the Tesla powerwall during outages ?
I have Solar too on a clear day it peaks 21Kw (87 amps) an hour so during an outage on a clear day I could charge the truck normally. That’s why I don’t want to separate them. It’s only at night if charging I need to limit it. I just want the software to work as intended.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have the opposite problem. My charger is hardware-set to 80 amps on a dedicated 100-amp breaker. In FordPass, I elected to charge at 48 amps (easier on the battery and less heating of the FCSP, which runs hot according to the designated Sunrun installer). For the longest time, my FCSP charging rate worked as advertised. My FordPass app would say the charger was delivering 10 kW, about what it's supposed to be. However, for the past few nights, it's only been delivering 5 kW, and I can't change the setting in the FordPass app when connected to the Charge Station Pro (it still says 48 amps as the setting there, and I can't save a new setting, although the slider shows up to the 80 A hardware max allowed).

I've received a notice under the 23B57 Customer Satisfaction Program. But since I've never had any battery module notices on my truck, I've elected to wait for the OTA update, which Ford allowed in the original 23B57 notice mailed out. I've been wondering, with my limited charging rate, whether Ford decided to restrict the charging rate on my vehicle since I haven't taken it to my dealer for a battery module inspection.

Ford ought to allow knowledgeable consumers access to a better interface than provided by the FordPass app (paradoxically, it doesn't seem like you can set the charging rate in the Ford Charge Station Pro app; that app links you back to the FordPass app to change the charging rate). The Ford Pro Charging Depot Portal is a really complete and informative charging interface. Too bad we can't have access to something like that as individual Lightning owners. I imagine it requires a very hefty annual subscription fee, and individual consumers are probably not welcome. But it would be neat to see a map of all charging stations we'd used, including commercial DC fast charging stations, and how things went in terms of charging rate, cost, etc., over the past month or year. I was hoping if a consumer could use the Ford Charging Portal that, I'd be able to change my charging rate there if it's simply the FordPass app that's screwed up.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Believe the problem related to controlling the amperage rate is tied to the last and current version of Fordpass, I've tested this feature in the past few months and it's just not holding the requested settings, there is the side chance it's related to the truck side power-up version as well, the actual control of current flow happens in the trucks onboard charge controller not the FCSP, that is why the setting is in Ford Pass [Connected Charge Station] feature.
Sponsored