• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro Wiring Requirements (A/L1 and B/N)

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
When reading the FCSP installation manual, I've managed to confuse myself on the required wiring from your panel. On page 3, it says " Use 3 AWG, 90d Celsius copper wire only for AC connections (A/L1 and B/N)." Is it only requiring 1 LOAD and 1 Neutral? What am I missing here? I spoke to my electrician about this over the phone and have sent him the manual to review.

Also on page 14, they illustrate the below showing the same thing.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro Wiring Requirements (A/L1 and B/N) 1657363894920

My plan is to install a 80 amp breaker and derate the charger to 64amps in the FCSP. I will be using #4 copper.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It looks like it is referring to the label etching on the circuit board. Two loads (A/L1 & B/N) and a ground (EARTH GND).

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
For residential installation, you need two phase conductors (A & B) and a ground. The alternate L1 /N labels are for installation on one phase of a three phase system.

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For residential installation, you need two phase conductors (A & B) and a ground. The alternate L1 /N labels are for installation on one phase of a three phase system.
Can this unit be wired into a three phase system? Not that I have one at my house obviously, but I was under the impression the unit is only for 240/120VAC, 1Ph systems. Maybe the unit can be wired for 120VAC? Slow, but L1 and N would be 120VAC.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
When reading the FCSP installation manual, I've managed to confuse myself on the required wiring from your panel. On page 3, it says " Use 3 AWG, 90d Celsius copper wire only for AC connections (A/L1 and B/N)." Is it only requiring 1 LOAD and 1 Neutral? What am I missing here? I spoke to my electrician about this over the phone and have sent him the manual to review.

Also on page 14, they illustrate the below showing the same thing.

1657363894920.png

My plan is to install a 80 amp breaker and derate the charger to 64amps in the FCSP. I will be using #4 copper.

Thanks for your thoughts.
In the US, you will use 2 "hot" conductors on A and B and not a neutral.

It's likely they were also designing it for use in international systems as well, where 220-240 VAC is delivered as line and neutral (220-240 VAC above ground).

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ford's onboard chargers can use 277 VAC, which is the voltage found between line and neutral on a US 480V three-phase industrial wye system. I think some Tesla folks tried it and it actually worked on their cars, but Tesla claimed their chargers were designed only for up to 265V and it shatters warranties.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can this unit be wired into a three phase system? Not that I have one at my house obviously, but I was under the impression the unit is only for 240/120VAC, 1Ph systems. Maybe the unit can be wired for 120VAC? Slow, but L1 and N would be 120VAC.
Yes, this can be wired into a 120V/208V three-phase system as found in many apartment complexes. You will use two "line" conductors to accomplish this and not neutral.

Given that the unit uses a switching power supply, it's highly likely that 120V supply voltage to the connector would work, but obviously that's horribly suboptimal. Tesla wall connectors can be used with 120V too, I knew of someone who carried one around with him for camping - RV used the 240V/50A receptacle and the car was charged using the 120V/30A receptacle. They went with the wall connector for the longer cord compared to the mobile connector and carried it as a portable EVSE in the RV.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Yes, this can be wired into a 120V/208V three-phase system as found in many apartment complexes. You will use two "line" conductors to accomplish this and not neutral.

Given that the unit uses a switching power supply, it's highly likely that 120V supply voltage to the connector would work, but obviously that's horribly suboptimal. Tesla wall connectors can be used with 120V too, I knew of someone who carried one around with him for camping - RV used the 240V/50A receptacle and the car was charged using the 120V/30A receptacle. They went with the wall connector for the longer cord compared to the mobile connector and carried it as a portable EVSE in the RV.
But get less power per amp delivered.

The labeling on the charger is very poor. L1/A should probably just be labeled L1, and B/N should probably be L2/N.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The labeling on the charger is very poor. L1/A should probably just be labeled L1, and B/N should probably be L2/N.
Absolutely correct. 120V/30A is only 3.6 kW. 208V/30A is only 6.2 kW. 240V/30A is 7.2 kW. But when you're camping, you're probably getting a lot of time to charge at 3.6 kW.

And I agree it's probably best to label L1 and L2/N. But that's an engineer for you. :)

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt

Completely agree. L1 and L2/N is much cleaner.

So if wiring with 240VAC, no neutral is required huh. I would have expected 120VAC is needed for controls, but I guess they may have a CPT internal to drop from 240VAC to DC control.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the US, you will use 2 "hot" conductors on A and B and not a neutral.

It's likely they were also designing it for use in international systems as well, where 220-240 VAC is delivered as line and neutral (220-240 VAC above ground).

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ford's onboard chargers can use 277 VAC, which is the voltage found between line and neutral on a US 480V three-phase industrial wye system. I think some Tesla folks tried it and it actually worked on their cars, but Tesla claimed their chargers were designed only for up to 265V and it shatters warranties.
Agreed. No way it’s suitable for 277.
It would work on an international system as you state.
Should we even mention the rare 480V high-leg delta used in some places in the US? 😄

Sponsored

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
Thanks for posting this. We (at my electrician's suggestion) were going with aluminum wire for the cost savings. I just sent him the manual asking how this impacts us, or if it does. I hadn't seen (or at least taken notice of) the #3 copper only line before.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for posting this. We (at my electrician's suggestion) were going with aluminum wire for the cost savings. I just sent him the manual asking how this impacts us, or if it does. I hadn't seen (or at least taken notice of) the #3 copper only line before.
You can run aluminum and transition to copper in a junction box near the EVSE.

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
You can run aluminum and transition to copper in a junction box near the EVSE.
He agrees, that is one possibility. He thinks (mostly due to minimum purchase amounts) that the added cost of the junction box and labor almost negates the cost savings, though. So I'm probably going with copper.

I do wish shopping for a competent electrician was easier.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In my house L1 or L2 to neutral is 110 volts. L1 to L2 is 220 volts.
If that’s actual measured voltage, it’s pretty low.
Sponsored