• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Logged into my FordPass account today and noticed in connected services there was an option for me to activate Intelligent Backup Power. It seems in addition to purchasing the FCSP and having to coordinate with SunRun, Ford is charging a one time software fee of $500. I assume this is only for those that didn't buy an ER.

Maybe I missed this, but this was news to me.

Screenshots below:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power Screenshot_20221228_175511_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power Screenshot_20221228_174739_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power Screenshot_20221228_174751_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power Screenshot_20221228_174704_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charging SR owners for Backup Power Screenshot_20221228_175406_FordPass
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I remember seeing in some of the early marketing that the SR battery trucks would have to pay a fee if you wanted to use them with the HIS For home backup. As long as it has Pro-Power, you can still set up the transfer switch connected to the L14-30 output in the bed.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I remember seeing in some of the early marketing that the SR battery trucks would have to pay a fee if you wanted to use them with the HIS For home backup. As long as it has Pro-Power, you can still set up the transfer switch connected to the L14-30 output in the bed.
That's what I planned on doing, regardless. I am slightly bummed that I'm not able to get the same amount of power out of it compared to the Sunrun/FCSP setup.

I was just sharing as it randomly popped up 3+ weeks after I took delivery and connected my other services.

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
At reservation, I was originally going to get an XLT. However come order time last February, I quickly learned there was only about $1k difference between an ER XLT (plus the charge station pro, and the intelligent backup power enablement) and a comparably equipped Lariat that included all three. I was only looking at ER at the time as I was not aware that intelligent backup power would even be available with an SR battery.

I may be one of the few whose entire interest in the Lightning started and ended with backup power as the 'reason' to chose an electric vehicle vs just keeping my ICE F-150.

100KWh via a tesla power wall was quoted at 2/3 the ultimate cost of my lightning. And I could drive my battery backup to work rather than a power wall sitting in the garage all the time and potentially never being used at all for a significant portion of its lifespan.

Last edited:

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
100KWh via a tesla power wall was quoted at 2/3 the ultimate cost of my lightning.
This is true that to get the equivalent KWh you'd need to pay that much, but not many people are going to need 100kwh of backup power. If there's an outage you're gonna unplug things, turn off things, and simply not use things. In outages, even still using my computer and network equipment, fridge, minimal heat, I can keep my house under 600 watts of average per-hour use. A much smaller and cheaper system can power those loads for days, and if you have solar you just need to make it to the point where you can clear off your panels or the sun melts the snow.

Pro power onboard connected to some extension cords is probably a simpler solution than trying to fight with sunrun and paying ford for the privilege.

Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Pro power onboard connected to some extension cords is probably a simpler solution than trying to fight with sunrun and paying ford for the privilege.
Ultimately I think the best bang for buck system is a small battery rack with an inverter like the SolArk 15 https://www.sol-ark.com/sol-ark-15k-all-in-one/ which has a generator port that you can manually plug in the truck when needed in potentially extreme situations.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Logged into my FordPass account today and noticed in connected services there was an option for me to activate Intelligent Backup Power. It seems in addition to purchasing the FCSP and having to coordinate with SunRun, Ford is charging a one time software fee of $500. I assume this is only for those that didn't buy an ER.

Screenshots below:

Screenshot_20221228_175511_FordPass.jpg
Screenshot_20221228_174739_FordPass.jpg
Screenshot_20221228_174751_FordPass.jpg
Screenshot_20221228_174704_FordPass.jpg
Screenshot_20221228_175406_FordPass.jpg
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Yeah it was in the Packaging Guide. This was one of the early brochures we got from Ford that caused lots of excitement a year ago. Page 10 says it's included in all ER battery configurations with a footnote that SR can get it by paying an activation fee.
Sponsored