• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
FULL SPEED AHEAD: FORD PLANNING TO NEARLY DOUBLE ALL-ELECTRIC F-150 LIGHTNING PRODUCTION TO 150,000 UNITS ANNUALLY; FIRST WAVE OF RESERVATION HOLDERS INVITED TO ORDER

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. revc_9-

January 4, 2022
  • Ford is planning to nearly double production capacity of the all-electric F-150 Lightning™ pickup to 150,000 vehicles per year at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan, to meet soaring customer demand
  • F-150 Lightning moves to the final phase of pre-production as pickups roll off the line for real-world durability and thousands of miles of testing ahead of customer deliveries this spring
  • On Thursday, the first wave of reservation holders for F-150 Lightning will start converting their reservations to orders; additional reservation holders will be invited in phases to place their order over the next few months. For those who don’t receive invites for the 2022 model year, there will be an opportunity to order for future model years.
  • With unprecedented demand for the Mustang Mach-E, Ford earlier announced it will increase production starting this year and expects to reach 200,000-plus units per year by 2023; within 24 months, Ford will have the global capacity to produce 600,000 battery electric vehicles annually
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 4, 2022 – Ford Motor Company said today it is planning to nearly double production of the F-150 Lightning™ pickup at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn to 150,000 trucks per year to meet high demand for the first all-electric version of America’s best-selling vehicle, the F-Series. And beginning Thursday, the first group of reservation holders will be invited to place their orders for the F-150 Lightning.

“With nearly 200,000 reservations, our teams are working hard and creatively to break production constraints to get more F-150 Lightning trucks into the hands of our customers,” said Kumar Galhotra, president of The Americas & International Markets Group, Ford Motor Company. “The reality is clear: People are ready for an all-electric F-150 and Ford is pulling out all the stops to scale our operations and increase production capacity.”

Due to unprecedented customer interest, Ford is implementing a wave-by-wave reservation process, with reservation holders being asked to watch for an invitation via email from Ford or to log into their Ford.com account over the next few months. Those who don’t receive invitations to convert for the 2022 model year will have an opportunity to order a future model year vehicle in due course.

Flexibility is key to Ford’s production system and the way teams are now working to deliver the company’s future lineup of electric vehicles. To deliver this latest increase, a small task force of employees from manufacturing, purchasing, strategy, product development and capacity planning are finding ways to quickly adapt and expand production of the groundbreaking pickup. Ford is working with key suppliers – as well as with its own manufacturing facilities Rawsonville Components Plant and Van Dyke Electric Powertrain Center – to find ways to increase capacity of electric vehicle parts, including battery cells, battery trays and electric drive systems.

“The pride and quality UAW members are putting into building the iconic Ford F-150 Lightning is evident in the high pre-production demand for the new F-150 Lightning truck,” said Chuck Browning, UAW vice president. “UAW members are leading the way in doubling the amount of vehicles Ford is producing for this game-changing model of our legendary union-built vehicle.”

This week marks the final pre-build phase before accelerating into mass production of F-150 Lightning trucks for retail customers and F-150 Lightning Pro for commercial customers. These production-level trucks will be used for testing in real-world customer conditions, collectively accumulating 1 million miles.

The Lightning is drawing interest from customers of competitor brands at a record rate in North America, with more than 75% of reservation holders new to the Ford brand. Production of the 2022 F-150 Lightning pickup will begin this spring at a starting MSRP of $39,9741 before potential federal tax incentives2.

Ford is committed to leading the electric vehicle revolution, investing more than $30 billion in electric vehicles through 2025. Over the next two years, Ford aims to emerge as the clear No. 2 electric vehicle maker in North America and then challenge the No. 1 spot as huge investments in battery and electric vehicle manufacturing come onstream. Within 24 months, Ford will have the global capacity to produce 600,000 battery electric vehicles annually.

In addition to scaling Lightning production, Ford recently announced the tripling of production for the Mustang Mach-E and expects to reach 200,000-plus units per year by 2023. Ford’s all-electric van, the 2022 E-Transit, goes on sale early this year.

Ford is building the largest, most advanced, most efficient auto production facility in its 118-year history in Tennessee, where it will assemble next-generation F-Series electric pickups. Together with SK Innovation, Ford is also building three new BlueOval SK battery plants – one in Tennessee and two in Kentucky – to produce advanced lithium-ion batteries to power next-generation Ford and Lincoln vehicles.

This $11.4 billion investment will create nearly 11,000 new jobs at BlueOval City and BlueOvalSK Battery Park in Tennessee and Kentucky and build on Ford’s position as America’s leading employer of hourly autoworkers.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_2

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_1

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_14.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_13.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_3

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_6.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_9

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_8.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_5 (1)

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_11.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. REVC_4

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Doubling F-150 Lightning Production Capacity to 150,000 Per Year. Order Invitations Begin Thursday. FIQN3h5VIAAO09G
Sponsored

Last edited:

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Another "doubling" press release from Ford.

But, this one doesn't reference any time frame for this doubling as far as I can see. So, it's not clear if there is an actual announcement here.

The real announcement is the first wave of pre orders being sent out.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Awesome to see them getting serious. Stock will love this!

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
I don't think this applies to the MY22 but please prove me wrong Ford.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I have a feeling this is why they delayed the EV Explorer. Sounds like they are taking all the batteries that they were planning to use for the explorer and putting them into the F150 to increase production. Then when the next SK plant comes online the explorer will come out with it.

They can really increase production of the Lightning by producing most of the body in their ICE plant and transferring it over, saving a lot of time and space in the EV plant for additional production.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have a feeling this is why they delayed the EV Explorer. Sounds like they are taking all the batteries that they were planning to use for the explorer and putting them into the F150 to increase production. Then when the next SK plant comes online the explorer will come out with it.

They can really increase production of the Lightning by producing most of the body in their ICE plant and transferring it over, saving a lot of time and space in the EV plant for additional production.
The EV body is already produced alongside the ICE body. Through the same Body Shop and Paint plant. They only separate when they go to Final assembly. ICE to the current Final building, electric to the REV.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
So keep in mind 2022 MY looks to only be produced thru Q3 this year. Whatever low production numbers everyone keeps throwing around for the year are really only 2 quarters worth of production. I'm crossing my fingers that throughput will be higher from the get-go than we think.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Another "doubling" press release from Ford.

But, this one doesn't reference any time frame for this doubling as far as I can see. So, it's not clear if there is an actual announcement here.

The real announcement is the first wave of pre orders being sent out.
Fox news Business is reporting the aim for this "doubling" is mid 2023. Ford aims to be making 150k/yr by mid 2023.

My guess is Ford capped the reservations at 200k for a reason and will try to turn all of them in either 2022 or 2023(by Dec 2023). Even with a take rate of 80% that would be ~160k trucks. The playbook only mentions 2022 and 2023 ordering next summer. No mention of 2024 or farther....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
A fascinating moment in Ford F-series history. I wish my grandpa who lived to 99 was here to see this.
I've driven F-series trucks for a half century, and rode in his and dad's trucks as well.

I figure he'd look it over really good and finally say "Well, would you look at that. isn't it something else?"
Yes it is Pawpaw.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
At the sticker shock people are getting right now Ford might not have to ramp up production
This 100%^^.

If GM plays it right tomorrow and offers a compelling option at $50-60k Ford is going to see a lot of canceled reservations.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sticker shock?
Yea, only Ford has dealerships (some) that behave such. Lol

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX
Occupation
Engineer
Sticker shock?
Yea, only Ford has dealerships (some) that behave such. Lol
Its not the dealers. Pricing just opened up and came in much higher than expected......$74K for XLT extended range.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT isn't exactly apples/apples with EV F150 VS Ice F150.
But I agree that does leave the obvious comparison and now I understand the stickershock comment.

Kinda wonder if maybe Ford shouldn't use the legacy trim names.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
XLT isn't exactly apples/apples with EV F150 VS Ice F150.
But I agree that does leave the obvious comparison and now I understand the stickershock comment.

Kinda wonder if maybe Ford shouldn't use the legacy trim names.

Good point. I have a suggestion for trim level names:

1. Bare-bones
2. Freaking expensive, regular-ass truck
3. Everything equipped, even stuff you don't want or need, but Ford wants you to buy
4. I eat money for breakfast
Sponsored