• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Gave Me 2 Level 2 Chargers

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
To answer one of your questions, I have been unable to charge a Tesla Model Y using the multiple adapters from Amazon (from FCSP to Tesla adapter) and connected to the FCSP. I gave up and installed a 240v outlet separately for my wife to charge her Tesla. There are many threads and I'm not sure if someone else got the FCSP to charge anything other than a F-150. My only experience was with the Tesla. Before someone suggests it, I even throttled down the FCSP to 32 amps and even lower (opened the cover of the FCSP to dial it down) but was unable to initiate charge. It clicks and doesn't charge.
You can charge Tesla with the FCSP. I charge my Model S with it. It requires modifications to the Tesla adapter and the FSCP Plug, basically grinding and cutting away the plastic "bridge" Between the j1772 side and the CCS1 DC pin side.
Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
You can charge Tesla with the FCSP. I charge my Model S with it. It requires modifications to the Tesla adapter and the FSCP Plug, basically grinding and cutting away the plastic "bridge" Between the j1772 side and the CCS1 DC pin side.
I bought a couple of different adapters from Amazon and I was unable to. May have to look into this. Thx.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
And the connector and cable are too bulky for L2 charging. 48 amps is plenty juice.
This may be true for a lot of users who aren't driving long distances every day. But notably, some people who drive a lot of miles need it. I burn 60-70kw a day. The Ford mobile charger takes 10-12hrs to recharge. It may not even be done charging by morning when I leave for work. A true full power 48 amp charger would be a little better. Recharging in 3-4hrs with the FCSP is actually a big deal and very useful.

That said, I will never use the home integration system fluster cluck. If I had a choice, I would take the FCSP without the CCS connector and without the HVDC wires for a lighter cable. It will still be a big ass cable and connector to support 80 amps AC. But it can definitely be lightened up.

OP
OP
Gaffer

Gaffer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Motion Picture Lighting Designer
Unless you really want/need to charge at 80 Amps or want to install the extra hardware for home power backup, the Ford Charger isn't worth it. It's known to be a bit flakey at times and it does not play nice with certain EVs that don't have a CCS charge port. It's essentially impossible to charge an EV or PHEV that only has a J1772 port and a Tesla needs you to modify a J1772 adapter to fit the CCS...

If that is the 48A capable version of the Wallbox, install that one and sell the Ford unit. The Wallbox can be direct wired and they're good chargers.

...Just a warning selling the Ford unit. Lots of them out there for sale so you won't get much.
Very good points, thanks! I do plan on using the home power backup feature, we got solar last year through Tesla, and opted out of the tesla wall at the time with this Lightning feature in mind thinking I’d be getting the truck soon enough.
Sponsored