• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford lightning not charging? Vehicle charging fault error message?

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla M3, other non EV
So it seems there's some type of an incompatibility between the Lightning, TeslaTap, and Tesla gen 1 HPWC unit. My TeslaTap works with my HPWC gen2 charging the Lightning (delivered today!), but does not work with the gen1 HPWC. When I plug the TeslaTap into the gen1 HPWC it stays green, but when I plug into the Lightning the HPWC flashes red 8 times and refuses to charge.

@cs13368, anything you'd like to do to try and troubleshoot this? The HPWC1 will charge a Model X through the J1772 adapter and TeslaTap, but Lightning is a no-go.
Usually when we hear that it will not work on a Gen I it is because the installer did not set the DIP switches or it is set at a level that the Lightning will not accept.
Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Usually when we hear that it will not work on a Gen I it is because the installer did not set the DIP switches or it is set at a level that the Lightning will not accept.
That is the same thing you said to me by email. But you referred to a "100A" DIP switch setting, and I sent you back the manual page that lists no such setting - the HPWC 100A setting is for a 100A circuit, 80A charge rate, and the Lightning will accept an 80A charge.

I have not yet had time to run the test I mentioned to you that I would run, using the JDapter Stub on the same charger. But I have reconfirmed the Lightning does charge fine on a Gen2 HPWC at 80A. The problem seems to be unique to the combination of the 80A TeslaTap, the Gen1 HPWC, and the Lightning.

I am glad to do anything I can do to help diagnose this, within reason - just let me know.

It'd be good to know what 8-red-flashes on the Gen1 HPWC is meant to mean but I am a little busy to go extracting and reversing its firmware right now...

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is the same thing you said to me by email. But you referred to a "100A" DIP switch setting, and I sent you back the manual page that lists no such setting - the HPWC 100A setting is for a 100A circuit, 80A charge rate, and the Lightning will accept an 80A charge.

I have not yet had time to run the test I mentioned to you that I would run, using the JDapter Stub on the same charger. But I have reconfirmed the Lightning does charge fine on a Gen2 HPWC at 80A. The problem seems to be unique to the combination of the 80A TeslaTap, the Gen1 HPWC, and the Lightning.

I am glad to do anything I can do to help diagnose this, within reason - just let me know.

It'd be good to know what 8-red-flashes on the Gen1 HPWC is meant to mean but I am a little busy to go extracting and reversing its firmware right now...
I believe that you have a Lariat, I am charging a my Platinum version with an old Gen 1 unit without any issues... If the TeslaTap works on a Gen 2 at 80 amps without any problems I would look into possible issues with your Gen 1 charging station.
1. Verify that the ground and power connections are tight. (Loose connection will cause voltage drop)
2. Verify that the DIP switches are correct and not in test mode.
3. Try different settings (maybe your wall connector is not sending the correct duty cycle signal)

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I confirmed it was configured correctly for the 80A (charge)/100A (breaker) setting, and it previously charged both my 80A original Model S and 72A Model X/S.

By setting it down to the 72A (charge)/90A (breaker) setting it works. Apparently the 96% duty cycle advertised by the gen 1 HPWC isn't liked. My guess is that the Lightning's pull-down of the +12V to +9V messes with the pilot signal and causes the error, very similar to the other Bosch problem another poster has noted.

So you may have to advise your customers that gen 1 HPWC's need to be set to 90A breaker max.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How does this differ from the non-Lightning 80A version? Graphics? or some functionality?
A little larger pins and the graphics...
Just something special for the Lightning group....

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are the larger pins of consequence? As you know from troubleshooting with me, I bought a regular 80A mini for this purpose, should I expect it to work properly?

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are the larger pins of consequence? As you know from troubleshooting with me, I bought a regular 80A mini for this purpose, should I expect it to work properly?
The larger pins are not really needed for 80 AMPS.
Yes, the MINI 80 AMP adapters work fine on the Lightning....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Just something special for the Lightning group....
Speaking of something “special” for this Lightning group, any chance you’ll offer a discount for forum members similar to the one you offered Mach-E forum member a couple months ago?😏. Members are finally getting there trucks in lager numbers……

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Speaking of something “special” for this Lightning group, any chance you’ll offer a discount for forum members similar to the one you offered Mach-E forum member a couple months ago?😏. Members are finally getting there trucks in lager numbers……
The reason I quit doing group discounts is because it was causing too many problems and upset customers.
If someone bought one before the group special they wanted to return it and purchase one on the special or get a refund.
They would order another one and say the original it is not working and send it back and ask for a refund.
If they missed the special they get upset at me because I did not let the special continue until they decided to order one.
Either way running the group discounts causes more problems than it is worth for me.

I will try one more time for this group...
I will work a discount for the new TeslaTap MINI - Lightning with very strict rules.

1. Special will only be for the one product.
2. Discount WILL NOT apply to prior purchases whatsoever.
3. The Special will stop at a set date and not be extended.
4. Anyone wanting to return a prior purchase will pay a RTS fee.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The reason I quit doing group discounts is because it was causing too many problems and upset customers.
If someone bought one before the group special they wanted to return it and purchase one on the special or get a refund.
They would order another one and say the original it is not working and send it back and ask for a refund.
If they missed the special they get upset at me because I did not let the special continue until they decided to order one.
Either way running the group discounts causes more problems than it is worth for me.

I will work a discount for the new TeslaTap MINI - Lightning with very strict rules.

Sounds good.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait and needed something to charge my truck in the meantime. The late bird gets the worm this time. :)

You said that the larger pins on the Lightning version were of consequence, what have you seen with the standard 80A TeslaTap that may be an issue with the Lightning? I'm confused because the original product said it could handle 80A as well?

bobrosco

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning

Where will the post be with the details of our very appreciated special?

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds good.

Unfortunately, I couldn't wait and needed something to charge my truck in the meantime. The late bird gets the worm this time. :)

You said that the larger pins on the Lightning version were of consequence, what have you seen with the standard 80A TeslaTap that may be an issue with the Lightning? I'm confused because the original product said it could handle 80A as well?
They will both work fine on the Lightning....
Sponsored