• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford misses TPMS update deadline?

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
It appears @FordMotorCompany has quietly missed their self-imposed deadline for a software update to fix the TPMS recall by several days.

I'm surprised their legal/regulatory folks haven't forced them to withdraw/correct the recall announcement, which still says, in the latest copy linked to on the Ford site from the recall warning in my FordPass app, that a software update will be issued within 30 days of 6/24.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford misses TPMS update deadline? Screenshot_20220730-124008
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford misses TPMS update deadline? PXL_20220730_164510495

Another sign of dysfunction in their software organization? In any case it is a bad look. I'm sure other owners, like myself, have relied on their statement that a quick update was coming and not scheduled the recall work at a dealer. The total result here is surely not what Ford or NHTSA intended.
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
It appears @FordMotorCompany has quietly missed their self-imposed deadline for a software update to fix the TPMS recall by several days.

I'm surprised their legal/regulatory folks haven't forced them to withdraw/correct the recall announcement, which still says, in the latest copy linked to on the Ford site from the recall warning in my FordPass app, that a software update will be issued within 30 days of 6/24.

Screenshot_20220730-124008.png
PXL_20220730_164510495.jpg

Another sign of dysfunction in their software organization? In any case it is a bad look. I'm sure other owners, like myself, have relied on their statement that a quick update was coming and not scheduled the recall work at a dealer. The total result here is surely not what Ford or NHTSA intended.
I only just got the snail mail letter for that about 4 days ago.

Are we sure about that deadline?

Mike

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Screenshot_20220730-124008.png
PXL_20220730_164510495.jpg

The software is the Achilles heel for Ford. Little issues, laggy screen, motor and throttle control barely acceptable at best. Nothing to shine or write home about.

OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Are we sure about that deadline
The screenshot is the official recall notice, with NHTSA case number, from Ford's own website. The notice is dated 6/24 and says "within 30 days". I don't see much wiggle room there: it is July 30 as I write this.

These notices are negotiated between NHTSA and the manufacturer. It's not like they put "30 days" in there by accident.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
A lot of former Tesla owners are making a mistake getting this truck and will end up regretting it because of Fords lack of understanding about how important software is to an EV.

Personally, I’d rather not have them be in control of the truck the way Tesla is. While software updates are important, they aren’t all that necessary. If it’s a safety update and the option is given to go to the dealer then I would suggest just setting up that appointment as Ford will probably update your vehicle 6 months from the time they promised.

BTW, why is the Mach-E has better Ford Pass features than we do?

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
A lot of former Tesla owners are making a mistake getting this truck and will end up regretting it because of Fords lack of understanding about how important software is to an EV.

BTW, why is the Mach-E has better Ford Pass features than we do?
I hope it isn't a mistake, but I was hopeful for a bit tighter out of the gate, I'll give them 18 months and happy to provide feedback to let them tweak and get it right. Tesla wasn't perfect on day 1 either, but after driving them for 4 years it is very easy to see the shortcomings of Ford, whether software or whether cheating the computers of horsepower and memory right out of the gate.

Interesting about FordPass and MachE - what are we missing?

Last edited:
OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I still own a Tesla and I don't agree with that. I've watched Tesla play chicken with the regulators and avoid all kinds of recalls for months before (sometimes) giving in. And I've suffered Tesla's hyperactive software idiocy for years in ways that have sometimes been flat out dangerous - like when they hid the defrost control 2 menus deep in a software release they issued in the middle of the winter.

Ford's user interface software in general is not good and the app is just embarassingly terrible. But I remain much happier with the F150, on the whole, than with my Model Y.

However, missing a deadline you set in an NHTSA recall notice because you can't ship an update for a safety problem in a timely manner...is not good.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I hope it isn't a mistake, but I was hopeful for a bit tighter out of the gate, I'll give them 18 months and happy to provide feedback to let them tweak and get it right. Tesla wasn't perfect on day 1 either, but after driving them for 4 years it can definitely see the shortcomings, whether software or whether cheating the computers of horsepower and memory right out of the gate.

Interesting about FordPass and MachE - what are we missing?
Mainly phone as key, but I was reading about them having a Frunk button on Ford Pass. Whats taking so long for the Lightning? I just don’t see the point of waiting to give us FPAK.

It’s just severely frustrating not being able to set charge percentage on the phone and having to physically go out to the Truck to set it. Yes, I know it’s in the current Ford Pass versión but it doesn’t work, it just circles and circles until it says it can’t connect. Garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I still own a Tesla and I don't agree with that. I've watched Tesla play chicken with the regulators and avoid all kinds of recalls for months before (sometimes) giving in. And I've suffered Tesla's hyperactive software idiocy for years in ways that have sometimes been flat out dangerous - like when they hid the defrost control 2 menus deep in a software release they issued in the middle of the winter.

Ford's user interface software in general is not good and the app is just embarassingly terrible. But I remain much happier with the F150, on the whole, than with my Model Y.

However, missing a deadline you set in an NHTSA recall notice because you can't ship an update for a safety problem in a timely manner...is not good.
That’s the rub though, they can hide behind the a fact that owners can go to the dealers to get the update…. Who knows. Just like the latest software update, I am not aware of anyone else getting it except a handful of people. The whole process is trash right now.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mainly phone as key, but I was reading about them having a Frunk button on Ford Pass. Whats taking so long for the Lightning? I just don’t see the point of waiting to give us FPAK.

It’s just severely frustrating not being able to set charge percentage on the phone and having to physically go out to the Truck to set it. Yes, I know it’s in the current Ford Pass versión but it doesn’t work, it just circles and circles until it says it can’t connect. Garbage.
Those of us with job 1 MMEs are still waiting for our frunk button.
I don’t use PAAK because it’s quirky and doesn’t offer much advantage over simply carrying the fob.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Is this different from the 3.10 power up update I got a few days ago? Anyone know. Do we still need to go to the dealer. Got a snail mail letter on the recall yesterday.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Is this different from the 3.10 power up update I got a few days ago? Anyone know. Do we still need to go to the dealer. Got a snail mail letter on the recall yesterday.
Yes. the 3.1.0 updated the GWM only.

Nothing to do with the BCM config for TPMS safety values.

Mike
Sponsored