• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Mobile Charger at Campsite 30amp

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
When camping, I always try and book campsites with 50-amp hookups. 30 amps is just too slow for charging my truck. Remember you can only charge at a continuous load of 80% of rated capacity (e.g., 40 amps from a 50 amp hookup).

Anticipating a major camping trip, I purchased this mobile charger that can handle variable current up to 40 amps. That means it will work with any campground hookup you're likely to run across. It comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug, which will work with 50 amp campground hookups.
Sponsored

james_carey

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
When camping, I always try and book campsites with 50-amp hookups. 30 amps is just too slow for charging my truck. Remember you can only charge at a continuous load of 80% of rated capacity (e.g., 40 amps from a 50 amp hookup).

Anticipating a major camping trip, I purchased this mobile charger that can handle variable current up to 40 amps. That means it will work with any campground hookup you're likely to run across. It comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug, which will work with 50 amp campground hookups.
Thanks for the great information. I am thinking that if I am able to book a site with both a 50 amp and a 30 amp outlet, I will be able to power my 30 amp RV and use the 50 amp outlet (with the mobile charger that you recommend) to charge my Lightning. Any idea how many miles per hour this charging solution will produce? Thank you.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Conservationist
Thanks for the great information. I am thinking that if I am able to book a site with both a 50 amp and a 30 amp outlet, I will be able to power my 30 amp RV and use the 50 amp outlet (with the mobile charger that you recommend) to charge my Lightning. Any idea how many miles per hour this charging solution will produce? Thank you.
Drawing 40 amps from a 50-amp hookup, the truck will charge as if it was connected to my Level 2 charger at home. That is, depending on the state of charge when you arrived, it should be fully charged overnight or slightly longer.

james_carey

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor

Sponsored

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Conservationist

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Thanks for the great information. I am thinking that if I am able to book a site with both a 50 amp and a 30 amp outlet, I will be able to power my 30 amp RV and use the 50 amp outlet (with the mobile charger that you recommend) to charge my Lightning. .
Be aware that some campgrounds do not wire 30 amp and 50 amp plugs on different circuits. Sometimes the 30 amp plug shares one of the hot lines with the 50 amp plug and using both of them at the same time could cause problems, especially with a static load like a BEV charger.

Any idea how many miles per hour this charging solution will produce?
Volts x amps = watts. So a 240 volt 40 amp EVSE will give you 9.6 kW. Multiply the miles/kWh (or divide by Wh/km if you're in Canada) that you see in your dash driving efficiency display to estimate miles added.

I get around 1.1 mi/kwh on the highway with our travel trailer so I'd get 9.6*1.1=10.56 miles of range per hour on a 40 amp 240v circuit.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Volts x amps = watts. So a 240 volt 40 amp EVSE will give you 9.6 kW. Multiply the miles/kWh (or divide by Wh/km if you're in Canada) that you see in your dash driving efficiency display to estimate miles added.

I get around 1.1 mi/kwh on the highway with our travel trailer so I'd get 9.6*1.1=10.56 miles of range per hour on a 40 amp 240v circuit.
Due to conversion losses, a 40A EVSE will net about 8.5 KW to the battery on a good day.

james_carey

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Sounds like a plan. Remember, however, if you need to connect to a 30-amp hookup to charge your truck, you'l need the appropriate adapter as mentioned here. Some campsites come with only a 30-amp hookup, so it's wise to be prepared.
Great. Will do. Can you please send a link to the adapter you recommend?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber

I have this charger as well. You will only be able to draw 12 amps on a 120v 30amp plug with this charger. I think it's a limitation of the on board charger in the Lightning.

Last edited:

Sponsored

james_carey

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Contractor
Be aware that some campgrounds do not wire 30 amp and 50 amp plugs on different circuits. Sometimes the 30 amp plug shares one of the hot lines with the 50 amp plug and using both of them at the same time could cause problems, especially with a static load like a BEV charger.

Awesome information! You and I get about the same efficiency. Yesterday, I got a whopping 1.4 towing my 25’ Airstream.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Due to conversion losses, a 40A EVSE will net about 8.5 KW to the battery on a good day.
You're right, I there's usually a 12-15% loss when using AC charging on the Lightning.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Great. Will do. Can you please send a link to the adapter you recommend?
A TT-30 at a campsite will be 120V. You might as well just plug in to the standard 5-15 and save the cost of an adapter. The charge rate will be the same either way.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

This is exactly what I use & charge my Lightning With when camping.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Wow! Does this charger really charge at 9.6KW? I will buy it if it does, since my Ford mobile will only go to 6KW (versus the Pro Charging Station with goes to 15KW installed at home).

Next time you’re charging maybe you can take a screen shot of on your Ford Pass App of the charge rate. Thanks!!!
Sponsored