• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

mobile charger now only charging at 2kw

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Does anyone know if the mobile chargers are covered under warranty? Mine now only charges at 2 sometimes 3kw. I used to get 6kw on a 240v 30A circuit.

i tested my wife's charger that came with her mach-E and sure enough 6kw in the exact same receptacle.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
3 years. Well documented issue.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
My first mobile charger was replaced under warranty for the same issue. The amber light would come on and the charger would slow down.
When I mounted the second one i put one inch spacers between the charger mount and the wall thinking that air flow would reduce heat. The amber light on the second charger still comes on occasionally but the charging speed is not as reduced as the first charger.
I am keeping an eye on the charging speed and if it significantly reduces I am just going to buy an Emporia 48a charger.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
How do you get it replaced under warranty, do you need to schedule an appointment with the dealer or is it more like a tv, where you can call and ship it back for a replacement?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
How do you get it replaced under warranty, do you need to schedule an appointment with the dealer or is it more like a tv, where you can call and ship it back for a replacement?
Depends on the dealer. I’ve heard of some simply replacing it, while others make you leave the car for a stupid length of time so they can troubleshoot it.

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
My dealer requested that I bring the truck and the charger to them, which I did. I don't know why they wanted me to do that because they did not have a Nema 14-50. Did not bother me because they gave me a brand new F150 as a loaner. Kept my truck for a week and just ordered me a new charger.
If you are getting your charger replaced make sure they also order a new cord. Ford only sent them a charger and they had to order the cord after the charger came in

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Thanks for the replies. I sure hope I can avoid dropping the truck off. It charges just fine on other j1772 connections.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ford only sent them a charger and they had to order the cord after the charger came in
The Ford mobile power cord comes as a kit or individual parts. The dongles can be ordered seperately but the evse and cord is one piece, was it the dongles they didn't have?

240v 30A circuit
This unit charges at 32a continuous and legally requires a minimum 40a cb. Since its nema 14-50, that circuit should have a 50a CB as recommended by Ford.

Running it on a 30a circuit, which is designed for a continuous load of 25a, is dangerous and a fire hazard. It might have caused your charger to fail due to excessive heat. Please update your wiring and breaker before using it again.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
The Ford mobile power cord comes as a kit or individual parts. The dongles can be ordered seperately but the evse and cord is one piece, was it the dongles they didn't have?
They had to order the cord that goes from the charger to the Nema 14-50 outlet

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They had to order the cord that goes from the charger to the Nema 14-50 outlet
Glad they could get you set up again. There is some circuitry in those dongles, wonder if it was a problem in there as opposed to the charger itself.
I don't use mine often, I keep it in the truck for family trips and Emerg use.

Sponsored
OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE

This unit charges at 32a continuous and legally requires a minimum 40a cb. Since its nema 14-50, that circuit should have a 50a CB as recommended by Ford.

Running it on a 30a circuit, which is designed for a continuous load of 25a, is dangerous and a fire hazard. It might have caused your charger to fail due to excessive heat. Please update your wiring and breaker before using it again.
I just checked and I was incorrect before. it is 50A. has always worked great until it didn't. I'll reach out to the dealership.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
has always worked great until it didn't
Great! Probably a bad unit. There have been a few part number changes and hopefully you can get an updated one.
Sponsored