• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Likely the knockoff buyers will get the last laugh as we wait around for a year to get our Ford branded freebie.
Prediction: Someone in the next 10 days will ask why their adapter didn't work at the SuperCharger near them. After all, they will reason, it is February and they read on the Internet it would open in February.
Sponsored

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
@Ford Motor Company Good on you! thank you.

I will take a big "L" on this one. I was wrong.

I put the odds at way less than 5% we would get one for free. Farley's clumsy speaking cost him on this one. Good on him by turning it into good "PR".

Now hopefully I am wrong... but my guess is we dont have these things in our hands until Q3 or Q4.
Also, Yes, thank you for asking. I am a naturally pessimistic person!
“The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.”

― George F. Will

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The cables or adapters will not be able to ”talk” to the vehicle or the charger. To do that they would need their own power source because no power is available from either direction until the negotiation is complete so any active components in the adapter or cable would need a local source. They will likely just have thermistors that will disconnect the PP signal if the temperature goes too high which will stop the charge session.

I think you are right. I misunderstood the following paragraph in their product description. Upon reading it again, I realized it is not their product they are talking about.

"Tesla Superchargers and electric vehicles (EVs) employ a precise temperature monitoring system to ensure safety during charging. This system continually monitors the temperature of the DC pins, responding promptly to any temperature increases. When elevated temperatures are detected, both the power provided by the Supercharger and the power requested by the vehicle are reduced accordingly. This dynamic power adjustment effectively mitigates the risk of overheating and minimizes the potential for fire hazards.

This intelligent and proactive approach to temperature management ensures the safety and reliability of the charging process, offering peace of mind to users. It is essential to understand that this safety protocol is integrated into Tesla Superchargers and vehicles."

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I'm sure it will be keyed to the VIN and only work your vehicle exclusively. The Tesla charger won't work with any un approved adapters. My $0.02 :)
I don’t think so. Manufacturing an adapter tied to a VIN wouldn’t be economical. It will be a pass through and the VIN will be passed as part of the handshake. Any Ford adapter should work with any Lightning or MME.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for all the clarification on Tesla DCFC version numbers. I'm hoping that one of the places we road trip to frequently (i.e. annually or sometimes twice a year) will get upgraded from 150kW chargers to 250kW before our next planned trip there in June. :)
I also expect the V3+ chargers will show up on our NAV app when this rolls out. No point in showing the V2s.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I am guessing, but I bet the adapter is keyed to your VIN, in order to be acceptable within the Tesla network. As I said, I am guessing and if I loose, it's just a donut.
The adapters are “dumb“ and are not keyed to anything. All the communication and authentication is between the vehicle and the charger.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I don’t think so. Manufacturing an adapter tied to a VIN wouldn’t be economical. It will be a pass through and the VIN will be passed as part of the handshake. Any Ford adapter should work with any Lightning or MME.
I’m willing to bet they will work in any ev that the Tesla supercharger can complete its handshake with.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.”

― George F. Will
Great quote but as an optimist, George Will will never understand a pessimist has jumped off the bridge long before the results are in. Here is what a true pessimist would say (The authentic George):

”I root for the big asteroid to come and make things right”

George Carlin

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
When I was staying with friends for thanksgiving, I charged for 3 days with a Tesla mobile connector on 110v, a tesla tap, and then a 10ft j1772 extension cable. Me: 1, electrical fires: 0
You bought a tesla tap?
What kind of nin-come-poop are you to buy such an adapter...oh wait, I have one also.
:D

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I WAS WRONG ... YIPPEE!!!

I haven't received mine yet and I have 2 weeks to return it so all good ... now I just need to figure out what to do with all the monkeys that flew out of butt .. LMAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.