• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Nice trolling…. We need something to keep us busy till wave 2 opens…
He does this everywhere. Went off a few months ago on some rant about how lane centering and BlueCruise are far more capable than they actually are then he disappeared for a while when everyone laughed at it. Expect something similar to happen here.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
He does this everywhere. Went off a few months ago on some rant about how lane centering and BlueCruise are far more capable than they actually are then he disappeared for a while when everyone laughed at it. Expect something similar to happen here.
Everywhere? Really?

I believe I was talking about people stating things and rendering judgement on something, after only driving it around 3 curves on interstate. Sort of like how a bad YouTube vehicle review video goes.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
ER vs SR is nothing even remotely like comparing the regular 2001 F-150 vs the 2001 gas Lightning, for instance. The Lightning had performance suspension and brakes, different interior, different taillights, different bumper, unique wheels, high performance tires, almost 50% more horsepower. The Lightning's 0-60 advantage was measured in seconds, not tenths... the list goes on.

The difference between the new Lightning SR and Lightning ER is microscopic in comparison. The main difference IS range and charging, not performance.

The Lightning SR is quicker to 60 than the quickest gas Lightning.

In practice, I bet the Pro SR is very competitive with a Lariat/Platinum ER 0-60 considering the weight difference and the way EVs with bigger batteries normally deliver their additional power compared to smaller-battery siblings (see Model 3 SR vs LR RWD, where the 0-60 difference was minimal in practice).

The ER doesn't have any "solar and powerwall built into the heavy amperage inverter"... the SR can do those things, too. The inverter for that is outside the truck.

No, the ER doesn't cost meaningfully less for Ford to add to the higher trim vehicles.

It's not the fastest production truck on the planet. The R1T and Hummer are quicker.

Fact is, the $10k required package that people are upset about (Not me. I've never wanted an XLT anyway), is completely unrelated to performance. It's all luxury stuff that "rEAl lIGHtNiNg pEOplE" probably wouldn't care about anyway.

I've owned multiple Mustangs. One of my best friends had an '03 Cobra which I drove many times. My dad Coyote-swapped his '01 Bullitt, the first New Edge car with a Coyote engine, which was featured in 5.0 Mustang Magazine and at Ford's display at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I tracked it at Waterford Hills road course with the Roush Club. I had SVT brakes on both of my Mustangs, was building an SVT independent rear suspension for my '93 notchback. The list goes on.

This ridiculous gatekeeping pretending like the SR isn't a "real Lightning" and that people who are fine with SR just don't "get" performance cars is complete nonsense.
I’m trying to make a statement that most are going to want the ER, and that’s that. Ford even estimated that, so I’m not far off. When I buy a lightning, it will have the ER and I will be buying it for the extra power and extra towing capacity.

I wasn’t saying that the Lightning IS a race truck, I said everything that I said previously to let you know how I feel about the Lightning topic, As well as, other current Lightning owners in my friends and family groups. There are plenty of Lightning forums somewhere and this thread doesn’t exist there. Because those folks aren’t being whiny about an XLT price tag for the extra batteries, power, and towing.

Those Lightning folks will likely be targeting the XLT due to the lightest trim and getting the ER for the extra power. And they will take it down the track a large part of the Lightning’s life. They will probably be adding batteries and better something to it once a 3rd party figures it out.

Ford isn’t stupid. And they know the XLT ER is going to fly off the shelves, partially due to the people that want the fastest truck or highest power model. So, all I’m saying is, Ford took a niche market vehicle and made it for the every day EV purchaser who needs a truck. But you’re still putting the name Lightning on it, and it will be the fastest production truck on the road. So, people who love fast vehicles and love Ford are going to get the ER.

And if you want a ranger unibody thing, I wouldn’t really call the Rivian a Full Size Truck. The Hummer is nice at 1000 HP, but I wouldn’t buy a hummer just for the possible resale price implosion. The lightning is a full size truck, and with the current truck market, it will probably hold its value.

When I said fastest production truck, I’m saying that it is almost the fastest production truck ever built. Meaning, comparing it against all other trucks ever built. I’m sure there are some faster, but lightning ER is going to be pretty dang fast.

I’m excited about the lightning and it is frustrating when fake news headlines call so many people here to complain about something they don’t fully understand, which was years in the making.

If you want to complain about something. Complain when Ford waits 1 year after the trucks hit the road, then they drop a Lightning with 1000 HP forcing all the people that want “that truck” to sell their Lightning ER and upgrade. Now that’s a upgrade scheme worth writing about.

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
It sucks to read so many frustrated comments on here about the lighting, but for those on the fence about this truck, I gotta ask…

Do you really trust ford to make a good EV truck out of the gates? This is their first crack at it. These trucks will likely be riddled with problems, and *some* of the same people complaining about the order process/ price etc will be back complaining about the problems with their lighting. Ford did their first hybrid truck and it seems like everyday someone new is sounding off on their electrical/ drivetrain etc. problems and how the dealer doesn’t know what’s wrong.

Dont get me wrong, I love my F150, and got a trouble free (so far) 21’ platinum diesel… but don’t underestimate Ford’s ability to screw things up royally. If y’all are having serious trouble so far and are on the fence, I seriously suggest canceling your order and waiting to see how these trucks are when they come out. You might be really glad you did. Just my two cents.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Ok, so there are several issues with your reasoning. But I think the biggest one is the assumption that everybody who wants the ER truck wants it for the performance. Frankly I don't give a damn. I need range. And I would be willing to bet it's an 80/20 split or more for folks who want range over performance. The "niche" here is the performance truck crowd. Most truck-buyers need or want the utility. And the SR truck has buckets of performance already.

Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Ok, so there are several issues with your reasoning. But I think the biggest one is the assumption that everybody who wants the ER truck wants it for the performance. Frankly I don't give a damn. I need range. And I would be willing to bet it's an 80/20 split or more for folks who want range over performance. The "niche" here is the performance truck crowd. Most truck-buyers need or want the utility. And the SR truck has buckets of performance already.
Exactly this. Quite frankly, I'm tired of the eggplant measuring over EV performance. Yes, the first time I drove an EV (Mach-E test drive) it blew me away. But at the end of the day, I never cared about performance in my ICE vehicles and won't care about it in an EV, especially since even the worst EV gives most non-performance ICE vehicles a run for their money.

I personally want an ER because I live in an area that can get fairly cold during the winters. Hell, just in the past week we've had multiple days in the teens and a few in the single digits. I don't give a damn about 0-60 or even highway passing performance, I want enough range to account for winter driving.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
People need to also realize that EVs are often so fast/powerful because it's just the nature of the electric delivery system. Electric motors are most efficient well below 100% utilization, so it's much more efficient to put very powerful/capable motors in a car and expect them to see 40-70% utilization most of the time vs underpowering it and expecting 60-90% utilization much more often like you see with ICE vehicles.

Similar situation with batteries, where the bigger the pack (For more range), the higher current it can support for both charging and discharging; hence the ER being able to charge at higher rates and give more power overall with the same motors.

So the manufacturers aren't necessarily just designing these to be performance trucks. Something with the HP/TQ of the lightning is what makes the most sense from an efficient standpoint as well. If they could have had the truck meet greater towing and range numbers with less power, don't you think Ford would have done so? The masses would have preferred 50 miles more range for a bit less power, but what we see was obviously chosen for a reason, and I don't think it was just to have a great 0-60 time.

uniblab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT SR , '93 Mustang GT, '11 E450
Obviously so many here are new to the Ford Lightning scene. Funny how newbies are about vehicles these days.

No one here on this forum can get a 2021 F-150 and mod it to run the speeds that the new Lightning ER will be able to achieve, for an Equal or Lesser price tag, so everyone please stop complaining.
You're kidding, right? All you need on the 2021 is 4wd, 3.5 Ecoboost, a tune and E-85. Maybe you're forgetting that a gas truck weighs 1,500lbs less than a Lightning ER? Surely a non-newbie like yourself understands the effect of weight on performance.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You're kidding, right? All you need on the 2021 is 4wd, 3.5 Ecoboost, a tune and E-85. Maybe you're forgetting that a gas truck weighs 1,500lbs less than a Lightning ER? Surely a non-newbie like yourself understands the effect of weight on performance.
Might need a bit more than that for the 0-60 times (not sure how good the latest tunes are on the 3.5), but a Coyote with a supercharger will get you there. Above ~60-70mph Any of the ICE trucks (except maybe the base NA 6 cyl) will be significantly faster than the Lightning - EV's don't have a great top end.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.