• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Future Battery Upgrades?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I wish, but I doubt it. Battery technology is changing, but in 5 years it won't be vastly different. We being the guinea pigs bought a nice truck, and helped pave the way for future EVs to come. However deep inside we knew it wasn't going to be "supported" in several years. This is the nature of technology.

In regards to warranties, they are usually best effort, and when these battery packs have issues, or the center stack or IP goes dead for unknown reasons, we have to realize that parts maybe on back-order or never come at all. This is not only the future of this truck, or other EVs, but all these high-tech future cars in general.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am sure you have seen this video regarding what people do when batteries get old:

Alex here thinks manufacturers are designing EVs for new car buyers not the used car buyers when they get old:

However old F150 owners always find a way to keep them running.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Doubtful.

There is a lot of work in the verification process for a new battery to be used in a vehicle. You need to drop a lot of packs, submerge a lot of packs, short circuit a lot of packs, put a BUNCH of packs into thermal runaway, crush a lot of packs, shake a lot of packs, thermal shock a lot of packs, etc.

I figure that if EVERY test goes perfectly and passes all the criteria, you are looking at well a couple of hundred packs. If something fails, you redesign and start over on all the tests.

I do this for a living (check my bio) and we are working on packs that will be introduced in a couple of years. I blow up so many packs that I have a backlog processing the hazardous waste iaw the CFRs
Well, with your Expertise,
What’s your opinion on the “Next Best thing” and a best estimate on timeframe for said thing to pass validation for mass market? I read a lot about “breakthrough” battery tech and it’s promising but seems as you said years off if not only due to cost and scale but a lengthy validation for the automotive market.

thanks for your intel!

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sorry if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I have searched and didn’t see anything. A link to that thread would gladly be accepted.

Otherwise, here’s the question to the collective:

With the advancements in this battery technology moving forward at light speed and the competition coming out with superior range capability, What’s the likelihood that our early Lightnings will have an option (expensive one no doubt) to upgrade and gain additional range?

Thoughts, Opinions or Insight?
It seems likely to me that ‘22-‘23 SR packs may be replaceable with SR packs from the new plant (USA) Ford is building with CATL (Chinese global leader in LFP battery technology). MME is getting these LFP packs in 2024. Likely same or smaller size pack, but potentially more usable range through LFP’s ability to charge to 100% without degradation (if you regularly stop charging at 80%, which is good practice, and run down to 10%, then being able to routinely charge to 100% gives you 29% more range). Three other advantages of LFP (lithium iron phosphate) packs are:
1) many more charge cycles possible over lifetime (“million-mile” battery)
2) less prone to thermal runaway, including if punctured in a collision. Safer!
3) cheaper cost (than current Lightning NCA batteries).
Drawbacks? even poorer performance in cold weather, and heavier per kwh stored, than NCA batteries.

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
Sorry if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I have searched and didn’t see anything. A link to that thread would gladly be accepted.

With the advancements in this battery technology moving forward at light speed and the competition coming out with superior range capability, What’s the likelihood that our early Lightnings will have an option (expensive one no doubt) to upgrade and gain additional range?

Correct me if I am wrong but "the competition coming out with superior range capability" means just a bigger battery. I am speaking in reference to the Ram EV. I thought it was stated somewhere that they efficiency is still only about 2-2.2mi/kw. If that is truly the case then the battery technology isn't really improving that much correct?

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

Very Doubtful. Ford is in businsess to sell new units.

They will be happy to let you trade it in on the next Gen Lightning.....due in 2026.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Very Doubtful. Ford is in businsess to sell new units.

They will be happy to let you trade it in on the next Gen Lightning.....due in 2026.
You are probably correct. However, I would be more likely to trade it in on Maverick. I am hoping it comes out in fully electric by then.

Something to watch for anyway.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
An ALL EV Maverick would be a great idea.
I traded the first one I bought last year for the Lightning. Couldn’t pass the deal even though I really loved the Maverick. Great little truck with good resale value. It had 11500 milles they gave $2k more than I paid a year and a half ago.

Last edited:

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Well, with your Expertise,
What’s your opinion on the “Next Best thing” and a best estimate on timeframe for said thing to pass validation for mass market? I read a lot about “breakthrough” battery tech and it’s promising but seems as you said years off if not only due to cost and scale but a lengthy validation for the automotive market.

thanks for your intel!
When you read about 'breakthroughs', it is important to find out the size of the cell. Most of these announcements with 200% better capacity, and 500% longer life, are actually at the coin cell size and are considered to be in the basic research phase. Now you have to see what the problems are as you try to scale up. If you manage to clear the hurdles at the basic, now you can move into the advanced research phase, which is where my lab typically operates. The things I consider mature and ready to pass onto the next phase are usually several years away.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It seems likely to me that ‘22-‘23 SR packs may be replaceable with SR packs from the new plant (USA) Ford is building with CATL (Chinese global leader in LFP battery technology). MME is getting these LFP packs in 2024. Likely same or smaller size pack, but potentially more usable range through LFP’s ability to charge to 100% without degradation (if you regularly stop charging at 80%, which is good practice, and run down to 10%, then being able to routinely charge to 100% gives you 29% more range). Three other advantages of LFP (lithium iron phosphate) packs are:
1) many more charge cycles possible over lifetime (“million-mile” battery)
2) less prone to thermal runaway, including if punctured in a collision. Safer!
3) cheaper cost (than current Lightning NCA batteries).
Drawbacks? even poorer performance in cold weather, and heavier per kwh stored, than NCA batteries.
See my response on what it takes to certify a new battery. Ford can't just say today "I think we should change" and expect it to happen in this model year. Now, if they read the tea leaves correctly two or three years ago and started the certification, then MAYBE this model year.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Battery tech is not advancing at “light speed”. We won’t see a substantial shift until solid state batteries can be produced cost effectively at scale — likely a decade away.
There might be other technologies/chemistries that will be better than solid state and beat it to market ;)

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Correct me if I am wrong but "the competition coming out with superior range capability" means just a bigger battery. I am speaking in reference to the Ram EV. I thought it was stated somewhere that they efficiency is still only about 2-2.2mi/kw. If that is truly the case then the battery technology isn't really improving that much correct?
The competition will come out with longer driving range vehicles. Eventually.
As will Tesla. But it won't be next year. It is going to take a while.
All the CATLs, LGs, etc are working hard on efficiency gains. They have been building batteries for a long time.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
1) many more charge cycles possible over lifetime (y) (“million-mile” battery):ROFLMAO:
2) less prone to thermal runaway, including if punctured in a collision. :rolleyes: Safer! (y) but for other reasons
3) cheaper cost (than current Lightning NCA batteries). 🤷‍♂️ Why are you comparing it to NCA (Tesla/Panasonic/Sanyo) when we have NMC batteries?
Drawbacks? even poorer performance in cold weather, (n) and heavier per kwh stored, (y)than NCA batteries.🤷‍♂️ Why do you keep comparing it to NCA?
Unfortunately, I only skimmed over your points in my first response. A closer examination of your points requires emojis for each point. See above
I would be interested in seeing your sources for your information.
Sponsored