• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Generator for emergency charges?

ryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
sedan
This is $450 on amazon right now--
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L45W2V9

"enjoy 2500 starting watts, 1850 running watts and up to 11.5 hours run time on gasoline, and 1665 running watts and up to 34 hours on propane"

1665watts/hr of charge with careful driving 2.5 kwh/mi would get you 4 miles per hour of generator charging if I did the math right. For $500 all in with a propane tank doesn't seem too bad.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Ford should offer one of those as an option. The engine could go in the frunk and to extend the range even farther they could use an auxiliary gas tank. If they made the engine just a little bit bigger they could use it to propel the rear wheels in an emergency.🤣

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Mobile Charger is 7.2kW. Can't power that. On 120v it is 1.1kW per hour.

How does your math work?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

"enjoy 2500 starting watts, 1850 running watts and up to 11.5 hours run time on gasoline, and 1665 running watts and up to 34 hours on propane"

1665watts/hr of charge with careful driving 2.5 kwh/mi would get you 4 miles per hour of generator charging if I did the math right. For $500 all in with a propane tank doesn't seem too bad.
So you didn't really provide much context on what this generator would be for. Is this at home, or is it for traveling? If home, then I would say go bigger and be able to power more electronics/devices, including your EVSE as you will have a 30A 240v twist lock. If on the go, then no matter what size you get from a inverter point of view, it will still charge slow as your limited to 110/120v and as @RickLightning said its 1.1 kWh per hour.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
All the trucks have 5 years of road side assistance that come with them. Within 5 years hopefully there will be chargers available everywhere so there won't be so much range anxiety. Even in my backwards area there's lots of them planned in the next few months, let alone the next few years

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING

Another option: Keep the Ford charged up so you can let the Ford 240v/30A bed outlet power your house through a GFI transfer switch ( if you didn't spring for the $10k Ford/Sunrun setup), and if you need to go somewhere, use your spouse's or significant other's ICE car.

How much gas does that generator use in an hour for that 4 miles? Seems like the output is only 120V/20A on two outlets. Could you use an adapter and make the two 120V outlets a 240V? Probably not since the two 120V outlets have to be out of phase to do that.

BTW, all modern generators have bonded neutrals (grounded neutral) so if you power your house with it you need a GFI transfer switch or else the GFCI in the generator will trip. Some generators have a way to unbond the neutral so it is floating, which could result in a ground loop (and maybe a shock) between your house's ground and the generator frame if the generator frame is grounded with a ground rod for example.

Maybe there's a working commercial charging station, or at a Ford location that you could get to?

I found that when there was a hurricane that passed though here, I had a tough time finding a gas station that had power to pump gas for my gasoline generator.

Now, if you had an Aptera, you could have up to 40 miles per day on it's built-in solar (not in production yet, but in the final stages).

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ford should offer one of those as an option. The engine could go in the frunk and to extend the range even farther they could use an auxiliary gas tank. If they made the engine just a little bit bigger they could use it to propel the rear wheels in an emergency.🤣
So put a slightly larger battery into the power boost hybrid and make it a phev

s3254

First Name
ISAAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD LIGHTNING
All the trucks have 5 years of road side assistance that come with them. Within 5 years hopefully there will be chargers available everywhere so there won't be so much range anxiety. Even in my backwards area there's lots of them planned in the next few months, let alone the next few years
Another option: Keep the Ford charged up so you can let the Ford 240v/30A bed outlet power your house through a GFI transfer switch ( if you didn't spring for the $10k Ford/Sunrun setup), and if you need to go somewhere, use your spouse's or significant other's ICE car.

How much gas does that generator use in an hour for that 4 miles? Seems like the output is only 120V/20A on two outlets. Could you use an adapter and make the two 120V outlets a 240V? Probably not since the two 120V outlets have to be out of phase to do that.

BTW, all modern generators have bonded neutrals (grounded neutral) so if you power your house with it you need a GFI transfer switch or else the GFCI in the generator will trip. Some generators have a way to unbond the neutral so it is floating, which could result in a ground loop (and maybe a shock) between your house's ground and the generator frame if the generator frame is grounded with a ground rod for example.

Maybe there's a working commercial charging station, or at a Ford location that you could get to?

I found that when there was a hurricane that passed though here, I had a tough time finding a gas station that had power to pump gas for my gasoline generator.

Now, if you had an Aptera, you could have up to 40 miles per day on it's built-in solar (not in production yet, but in the final stages).

this what you will need (GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator, 7250W Super Quiet Gas Propane Powered Engine with Parallel Capability, Remote/Electric Start, Ideal for Home backup power.EPA &CARB Compliant (GM7250iEDC)
Sponsored