• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Granger Motors wants more money for extended warranty after payment.

drdirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
This is the deal, I read a bunch of recommendations and decided to go for the extended warranty bought on Grangers website. I selected the 7 year premium plan and paid $2820 for it on my credit card.

Then a couple days a get an email from Granger staying that the the website price was wrong and the want another payment of $330 for a total of $3150. Is this a bait and switch or what do you guys think? Not happy about this and not sure yet what to do, pay the extra or leave it. It was a pretty short email basically requesting an additional $330, not even we are sorry we messed up or any other concession.

Advice?
Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I had the same experience. I mentioned it here: #146

I don't expect this meets the legal standard of "bait and switch."

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It doesn't remotely. Companies have website issues (or in-store issues) all the time. If you don't like it, ask for a refund and buy it elsewhere.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
It doesn't remotely. Companies have website issues (or in-store issues) all the time. If you don't like it, ask for a refund and buy it elsewhere.
I'd say a $300+ price difference that isn't mentioned until well after it's posted to the customers card is a bit different than a website glitch or pricing error in stores, and in those cases the price usually gets honored.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'd say a $300+ price difference that isn't mentioned until well after it's posted to the customers card is a bit different than a website glitch or pricing error in stores, and in those cases the price usually gets honored.
If you go to the link, you'll see that it is in fact a "website glitch".

Sponsored

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Don't believe it's malicious but certainly unprofessional, especially when people have cited similar issues with them over a month ago. If they don't honor the price paid I would tell them to pound sand and get an ESP through Flood or Zeigler instead.

@Granger Ford, fix your pricing already.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Seems crazy they haven’t been able to fix a known issue in over a month. From a customer service stand point why not take away the option until it’s resolved instead of letting consumers proceed and then emailing them after.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Do these plans do anything for you in the first three years of ownership? Or, is it like paying ~$750/yr upfront in years 4, 5, 6, & 7?

Personally, I wouldn't reward a business for screwing up a transaction like this if I could buy competitively from somewhere that won't screw it up.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Do these plans do anything for you in the first three years of ownership? Or, is it like paying ~$750/yr upfront in years 4, 5, 6, & 7?
$100 cheaper to do it in the first 12 months. You also get rental car service.

OP
OP

drdirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Seems crazy they haven’t been able to fix a known issue in over a month. From a customer service stand point why not take away the option until it’s resolved instead of letting consumers proceed and then emailing them after.

That's kind of my thought, they had a long time to fix it. Maybe bait and switch is too strong a term, but incompetent and certainly dishonest. They knew well over a month ago that the website was wrong and continued to happy take customers credit card transactions. At least they should have shut it down until fixed.

So questions is do I get no extended warranty, buy somewhere else or just let them charge me the extra fee now.

Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
That's kind of my thought, they had a long time to fix it. Maybe bait and switch is too strong a term, but incompetent and certainly dishonest. They knew well over a month ago that the website was wrong and continued to happy take customers credit card transactions. At least they should have shut it down until fixed.

So questions is do I get no extended warranty, buy somewhere else or just let them charge me the extra fee now.
Agree- things like this leave a sour taste in my mouth. Unless they are priced well below somewhere else I would go a different route.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Looking at the warranty web site, I'm not seeing what the glitch is... I just played with it and configured the 8y/100k warranty I bought from Granger and got the price I paid when I bought my truck from them... What am I missing? The OP's numbers indicate he selected the 7 year with max mileage coverage and the price differential would be adding the extras like first day rental, key coverage, etc.. Which are optional on the following page. Did OP add those and was not initially billed for them?

I had not used the web site before. I was quoted the price for the warranty and added it to my truck purchase all through email.

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Looking at the warranty web site, I'm not seeing what the glitch is... I just played with it and configured the 8y/100k warranty I bought from Granger and got the price I paid when I bought my truck from them... What am I missing? The OP's numbers indicate he selected the 7 year with max mileage coverage and the price differential would be adding the extras like first day rental, key coverage, etc.. Which are optional on the following page. Did OP add those and was not initially billed for them?

I had not used the web site before. I was quoted the price for the warranty and added it to my truck purchase all through email.
I compared prices with the finance guy at my dealer, and he suggested Granger was blending in other warranty plans into their table to make it seem like one offering. Thus, if you select a mileage/term that isn't offered through the Ford program, it is mapping you to another provider. It may be that those offerings have an issue in their table. Not sure, but they definitely had a price mismatch issue as shown here and in the thread I linked above.

OP
OP

drdirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat

It was pretty clear, you put in the vin on the website, add any other information and you get the price wich matched the website. So they clearly knew what vehicle and what options. Everything seemed fine until I received an email asking for an additional $330. I am pretty sure I will tell them either honor the price or refund. There was no un-billed options or anything like that. They just decide to charge more and apparently did not update the website to reflect that. Not the way I would do business.

Reactions: GDN