• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
This is great news.

I've been saying for awhile that someone smart would figure out truck stops were the perfect place for DCFC stations. Having reliable DCFC available at numerous truck stops would give people confidence to travel via EVs long distance. Much safer than driving to a deserted Wal Mart parking lot. For Pilot, they get a captive audience to shop for food, supplies.

I thought it would be EA, but with a robust EA network, EvGO and potentially Tesla superchargers road tripping is going to get better...

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/14/gm-pilot-truck-stops-evgo-ev-dc-fast-chargers/

Official Announcement:
https://www.evgo.com/press-release/...ast-charging-access-to-drivers-across-the-us/

The chargers they will be deploying for this expansion:
https://www.evgo.com/charging-solutions/business-and-commercial/evgo-extend/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I feel like Ford or other manufactures should jump into this ASAP and help speed up the process. Even if they are competitors they both could benefit from a join venture. Pretty sure the opinion on the "ford charge network" (not new network and not owned by Ford truly) currently is pretty poor.

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel like Ford or other manufactures should jump into this ASAP and help speed up the process. Even if they are competitors they both could benefit from a join venture. Pretty sure the opinion on the "ford charge network" (not new network and not owned by Ford truly) currently is pretty poor.

Probably too late for Ford to jump into this deal(esp since Ultium branding/advertising is involved), but I can see Ford seeking a similar deal with someone else-- maybe Loves truck stops or a major gas station retailer. Perhaps partner with EA to infuse cash into the process?

The important note is they may be branded with GM but can be used by everyone--and since they are taking government $$ I don't *think* they can charge a GM driver a different rate than a Ford driver.

"The new charging stations will feature GM's "Ultium Charge 360" branding and "Pilot Flying J" logos but will not be limited to drivers of GM EVs."

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I hear there are lizards at those truck stops that entertain people during their visits. I wonder if they'll congregate around the EV chargers to help guys on their journeys.

Which gas stations chains are not franchises? If there is one, that might seem like a good partner site as well.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Probably too late for Ford to jump into this deal(esp since Ultium branding/advertising is involved), but I can see Ford seeking a similar deal with someone else-- maybe Loves truck stops or a major gas station retailer. Perhaps partner with EA to infuse cash into the process?

The important note is they may be branded with GM but can be used by everyone--and since they are taking government $$ I don't *think* they can charge a GM driver a different rate than a Ford driver.

"The new charging stations will feature GM's "Ultium Charge 360" branding and "Pilot Flying J" logos but will not be limited to drivers of GM EVs."
That makes sense. One thing I am hoping, because many of these will be at truck stops, is they will be designed as trailer compatible charging stations. So you can just pull in charge and pull out easy.

Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
I hear there are lizards at those truck stops that entertain people during their visits. I wonder if they'll congregate around the EV chargers to help guys on their journeys.

Which gas stations chains are not franchises? If there is one, that might seem like a good partner site as well.
funniest comment of they day 🦎

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Has anyone seen a map of the locations yet?

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
In my neck of the woods, Sheetz is hosting Tesla and EA near interstates. Sheetz in Breezewood is always crowded but that’s a Tesla station.

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This a rough map of the locations scheduled to be open in 2023--
GM-and-Pilot-Company-to-Build-Out-Coast-to-Coast-EV-Fast-Charging-Network-Infographic-scaled.jpeg

These are the locations in 2023, although they say installation will be thru 2025. There are an estimated 750 Flying J/Pilot locations so roughly 2/3 nationwide. I do see some exits with 2 stops located really close to one another.

The goal is stops every 50mi-- completely doable along East Coast. Still gonna be a bit of a struggle in the Dakotas to Montana. (i-94/90 I'm looking at you..)

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
In my neck of the woods, Sheetz is hosting Tesla and EA near interstates. Sheetz in Breezewood is always crowded but that’s a Tesla station.
I used one of those on my last trip to Pittsburg - good stop.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Who cares about Ford putting their name on a charger I'll download the app and charge. Chevrolet is the reason I drive a Ford now I had a terrible 2012 Silverado and my wife had a 2014 Cruze both have found new owners thank God. Both of which had electrical issues on ICE vehicles I wish everyone luck with all electric GM products 😂😂😂

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I drive from NY down i81..Scranton to Harrisburg the back way to Frederick MD. Huge hole thru PA and surprisingly few charging options in Harrisburg. Hope this helps.

Also, there are tons of Flying J/Pilot along i95 which I can see getting filled up quick as EV adoption takes off...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This a rough map of the locations scheduled to be open in 2023--
GM-and-Pilot-Company-to-Build-Out-Coast-to-Coast-EV-Fast-Charging-Network-Infographic-scaled.jpeg
How difficult would it be to show state lines on this map? It’s really hard to tell where many of these will be located.

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How difficult would it be to show state lines on this map? It’s really hard to tell where many of these will be located.
Its a crappy map for sure...also it show *every* major highway with nothing denoting interstates.

Even if they didn't have states, just seeing the interstates would help.
Sponsored