• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Well like I said, some expansion is better than no expansion. But hopefully EA isn't just taking the path of least resistance to say "hey we expanded!" while delaying the installation of chargers in places that actually make them valuable to EV drivers. I didn't say installation anywhere was easy - just that more remote locations are more crucial to reducing range anxiety and extending where EVs can go.
Sponsored

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Agreed. I need to have access to more chargers in northern PA than what is currently available (I don't see any within a 1-2 hr drive of where I stay on plug share that are available for use)

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Well like I said, some expansion is better than no expansion. But hopefully EA isn't just taking the path of least resistance to say "hey we expanded!" while delaying the installation of chargers in places that actually make them valuable to EV drivers. I didn't say installation anywhere was easy - just that more remote locations are more crucial to reducing range anxiety and extending where EVs can go.
Have you read the requirements for states to receive the government funding for chargers? You can also find the initial plan filed by each state. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...harris-electric-vehicle-charging-action-plan/

EA's plan to expand - https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/190

" We are supporting eMobility in North America to more than double Electrify America's charging infrastructure to 1,800 sites and 10,000 ultra-fast chargers by 2026. "

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ikea is a terrible place for the chargers. They would be better suited for restaurants or shopping centers directly off the interstates.
Many IKEAs are right off interstates. Plus, have you ever tried getting in and out of an IKEA quickly? It’s impossible. If you stop here you will only leave with a 100% charge…not necessarily by choice.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I've never seen an IKEA parking lot closed off like dealers do.
Every dealer that sells EV's ought to have a 24 hour dc charger.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Ikea is a terrible place for the chargers. They would be better suited for restaurants or shopping centers directly off the interstates.
For what it's worth, there's an Ikea 15 minutes from my house. I stop there for lunch quite a bit because I love the Swedish Meatballs. :)

That said, it's too close to where I live to be worth using as a fast charge.

What we all NEED are fast chargers in every major rest area along highways.

So, in my particular Ikea location, it's literally 1/2 mile from the NJ Turnpike exit... so it would be perfect for somebody traveling long distance who needs a quick recharge.

However, according to the press release, New Jersey is NOT among the list of Ikeas getting the chargers.

bwcbwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler
For what it's worth, there's an Ikea 15 minutes from my house. I stop there for lunch quite a bit because I love the Swedish Meatballs. :)

That said, it's too close to where I live to be worth using as a fast charge.

What we all NEED are fast chargers in every major rest area along highways.

So, in my particular Ikea location, it's literally 1/2 mile from the NJ Turnpike exit... so it would be perfect for somebody traveling long distance who needs a quick recharge.

However, according to the press release, New Jersey is NOT among the list of Ikeas getting the chargers.
Agreed that the Elizabeth IKEA on the NJTP would be a great spot for chargers. That's a bummer.

The other IKEA in NJ I know of is right by me in Paramus, but EA just recently installed 6 chargers at the Garden State Plaza mall literally right across the highway.

Those chargers at the mall will be interesting come Christmas time. Parking at that mall is notoriously bad, and I guarantee they'll be ICE'd when i gets really crowded.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Agreed that the Elizabeth IKEA on the NJTP would be a great spot for chargers. That's a bummer.

The other IKEA in NJ I know of is right by me in Paramus, but EA just recently installed 6 chargers at the Garden State Plaza mall literally right across the highway.

Those chargers at the mall will be interesting come Christmas time. Parking at that mall is notoriously bad, and I guarantee they'll be ICE'd when i gets really crowded.
I've been pretty lucky, I rarely see ICE cars in EV charging spots, but when things get busy, those EV slots tend to be taken.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I hope EA does a much better job at maintaining their equipment, versus just 'building' more units - I arrived at Kennesaw GA's row of 10 units yesterday - only 1 was working. Three of us were waiting.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I hope EA does a much better job at maintaining their equipment, versus just 'building' more units - I arrived at Kennesaw GA's row of 10 units yesterday - only 1 was working. Three of us were waiting.
I assume you're talking about Barrett Place. Those are relatively old ABB chargers which are notoriously unreliable, especially compared to the newer Signet chargers. I assume Barrett Place will be among the first to get the next gen chargers.

Incidentally, Barrett place was the first fast-charging station I visited when I got my first electric car back in 2020.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I assume you're talking about Barrett Place. Those are relatively old ABB chargers which are notoriously unreliable, especially compared to the newer Signet chargers. I assume Barrett Place will be among the first to get the next gen chargers.

Incidentally, Barrett place was the first fast-charging station I visited when I got my first electric car back in 2020.
Maybe they just didn't have a clue what they were doing, but EA has only been around since 2016. Any equipment only 6 years old should be maintainable, really no excuses.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Maybe they just didn't have a clue what they were doing, but EA has only been around since 2016. Any equipment only 6 years old should be maintainable, really no excuses.
-EA wasn't established until 2/2017
-The first EA station was opened in 5/2018
-The first gen hardware was cobbled together from industrial parts meant for other applications and is hard to service without high-level techs. The new hardware will have modular architecture that will be more easily serviceable by lower-skilled techs and parts should be easier to source since they will have two suppliers of equipment vs. four when they started
Sponsored