• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How good is Blue Oval charging network for auto connect and payment?

How good is Blue Oval for payment and activation at a Blue Oval Charger?

• Total voters

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
With the Tesla charger access coming soon, I'm curious to know from the users of the Blue Oval charging network, what your experience is like today. I know that if you have a failure or it doesn't pay correctly or start the charger it may not be Ford's fault, it could be a charger fault, but I'm guessing as the end user you can only guess who was at fault, so ignore trying to guess why it failed. If you experience failures please let us know.

I'm curious to know the baseline before Tesla comes on board.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I use the Ford Pass App exclusively to Activate charge stations, as I arrive, and before I even hop out to plug in... works perfectly.
While Electrify America can provide the 'Plug N Charge' option, I find it unnessesary since the Ford Pass App works so well - I can see which units are Operational, or unused, before I arrive, and I can know 'which' unit to pull up to even before I park... I've even found that while some EA units may have blank screens, the Ford Pass App will still Activate the unit for charging... (while others have avoided it because they saw no screen)...
Others brands like Chargepoint and EVgo work well with the app, also. There are actually very few that aren't under the 'BlueOval Charging Network' operation... so the app is very useful in most scenarios.

Using the Ford Pass App also bypasses the need to interact with the station's own APP, and Ford then also facilitates the transfer of the Charging COST from your preferred payment method, along with an EMAILED receipt with all of the charging costs and parameters. I have RARELY ever opened any other app to activate a station.

The same should apply to the Tesla Superchargers once there is an integration between Tesla data and the Ford Pass App... hopefully... or, Tesla will allow for 'Plug N Charge'.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Survey's too broad because there are multiple ways to activate a charger via Ford's Blue Oval Charging Network, and the ratio of success can vary:

- Plug and Charge at EA - works probably 75% of the time
- Swiping a Charger, then plugging in - works probably 95% of the time
- Charge Assist app in vehicle - provides erroneous information including status of charger, charging speed, and charging cost. It will say a charger is out of commission, yet it works fine with Plug and Charge.

A small downside of using Ford's Blue Oval Charging Network is loss of a discount for a credit card that provides an EV charging discount, like the Costco Visa (4%). Ford comes through as Ford Motor Company, which is not an EV charging company (it's a car company), so now 4% discount. Using the EA app, you get the 4% discount (and of course can use Pass+ for a 25% discount, then the 4% discount).

In reality, if Ford's network can't authorize the charge, it's likely it can't go through period, because all networks activate the charge via communication to the cloud, and if the Ford and 3rd party network handshake has issues, it's likely there are other issues also.

Rarely can the end user identify the cause of failure correctly.

kab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER (Atlas Blue)
I have only used Plug N Charge for the initial 250 kWh included with purchase and a couple other times when the EA app was not working. I was annoyed that I did not get the reduced EA Pass+ rate though.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I've only used EA chargers, but I've never had a problem with plug and charge working with them. (all 3 times I've used it). Most of the time, I use the EA app so I get the discount.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I have only used Plug N Charge for the initial 250 kWh included with purchase and a couple other times when the EA app was not working. I was annoyed that I did not get the reduced EA Pass+ rate though.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the free kWh's. Had no problem with those either. And yes, not getting the discount is a big bummer.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
The vendor all use Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) which allows for remote authentication so it's about how well they integrate their backend systems which, in turn, comes down to security (technical) and willingness to work together (ego and money)

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Survey's too broad because there are multiple ways to activate a charger via Ford's Blue Oval Charging Network, and the ratio of success can vary:

- Plug and Charge at EA - works probably 75% of the time
- Swiping a Charger, then plugging in - works probably 95% of the time
- Charge Assist app in vehicle - provides erroneous information including status of charger, charging speed, and charging cost. It will say a charger is out of commission, yet it works fine with Plug and Charge.

Rarely can the end user identify the cause of failure correctly.
With Tesla, isn't the plan only "Plug and Charge"? Truly asking, as I don't recall what has been called out. If so, then that is the focus of the survey, same style of charging that we'll get with Tesla. I just want to see a bit of a baseline.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
With Tesla, isn't the plan only "Plug and Charge"? Truly asking, as I don't recall what has been called out. If so, then that is the focus of the survey, same style of charging that we'll get with Tesla. I just want to see a bit of a baseline.
Ford will be adding the Tesla SuperChargers to the BlueOval Network. The intent is that it will work with Plug and Charge, yes. That therefore means that it will also work by swiping a charger (as all EA chargers do which are the only current Plug and Charge), and it will work with Charge Assist (as all Blue Oval Network chargers do).

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have used FP on EA - no payment problems. I have the EA and Tesla apps on my iPhone. Both worked flawlessly when used to charge the truck. And I’m an old retired engineer, not a computer geek.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
There is no reason for the blue oval network to exist. Once you’re signed up with Electrify America, the rates are 25% less expensive. Unfortunately, the blue oval Work was working a little too good after I signed up with Electrify America, and was connecting via the blue oval account and not the Electrify America account, and I paid a little too much for a few charges before I realized what was happening.

Reactions: GDN

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
I have only used it with EA but never had a problem. I even had a situation where the Blue Oval / EA Plug and Charge allowed me to charge when the payment system was failing for folks using the EA app.

I probably only use paid chargers about once a month.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
You don't have the option "It never works despite trying desperately". It simply doesn't work in Canada regardless of how many times you try.
Wish they would fix that.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
There is no reason for the blue oval network to exist. Once you’re signed up with Electrify America, the rates are 25% less expensive. Unfortunately, the blue oval Work was working a little too good after I signed up with Electrify America, and was connecting via the blue oval account and not the Electrify America account, and I paid a little too much for a few charges before I realized what was happening.
If you drive through Oklahoma you most likely will need to use a Francis charger. If you don’t use FP you will need a Francis account. The rate charged is the same but you need to add a $20 balance to use the Francis account. Win for FP. I found that I have needed to use some other chargers that were not EA, so FP consolidating them is nice. That said, I would drop FP in a second for supercharger access at V3 chargers via Tesla app. I could get to places I can’t with CSS and I would get there faster even on routes that have EA (and Tesla is charging less than FP). I would not have bought a Lightning without the promise of SC access.
Sponsored

Last edited: