• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I skimmed through the video. Did I miss where you show which button on the key fob actually turns the car on? Isn't that the main point since Ford obviously removed the fob start because they didn't want to make a new fob with 5 buttons?
THe module being installed is detecting a certain sequence on the fob, and then carrying out the remote start. In this case it was Lock>Unlock>Lock
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Oh 100% I see the benefits of Ford Pass and fully acknowledge that for most, it's what they want. But for those that don't, or for those who have connectivity issues, this is a great solution!
What are the reasons for NOT wanting to just use the app?

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
As he says in the video, maybe you have poor connectivity, or just don't want outside connectivity enabled for security/privacy reasons.

Of, maybe you have a 2015 BMW i3 or 2016 Hyundai Sonata with 3G modems that stopped working when the 3G network was decommissioned, and you learned your lesson about that. ;)

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Sometimes it's just easier to hit 3 buttons than dig your phone out and use the app.

My gas truck was parked outside. I would use the FOB to start it from by bedroom before I went to work. I could hear the truck start and the FOB was 2 way, so a light blinked on it when it was successful.

I would like to use the FOB to start my Lightning while it's in my garage instead of having to open the app, but with no noise when it starts and the FOB only one way, I'm stuck with the app.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I know, I know, your cell phone does the same thing. Yeah, I'm not happy about that either. At least I can turn that off. It doesn't mean we should just accept it laying down.
Free criming advice. Turning off your phone at the exact time of the crime can and will be used against you. Every criminal turns their phone off right before criming. Just leave it at home. Sheesh!🤣

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
When using the app on your phone to start the truck, does it use the cellular towers and satellites... meaning, could I be in NY and start my truck in LA?

How exactly is the command transmitted from my phone to the vehicle?

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
When using the app on your phone to start the truck, does it use the cellular towers and satellites... meaning, could I be in NY and start my truck in LA?

How exactly is the command transmitted from my phone to the vehicle?
Yes, correct. It happens over the cell network.

It's possible that Ford pass *could* do some location sanity checking to make sure you are in the same zip code, for example. But to my knowledge, it doesn't.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
So I'm so glad to hear that so many of you found my video and post helpful! But since I've heard the same or similar questions asked several times, I figure it's best to just respond with a single reply that addresses most of them!

"Why not just use the app?"

There are several reasons. And first I'd like to preface this by saying that my objection to using the app and limiting the utilization of connected services is in no way a condemnation of your use of them. Everyone has a different use case and different trade offs only they know whether they are willing to make!

Okay so why not use the app?

FIrstly, at least in my use case, I can think of almost zero scenarios in my own life where I'd need to start the truck from a distance greater than the keyfob can reach. I also like the lack of need for an internet connection for a more reliable start, considering my garage has almost no wifi converage and AT&T has essentially ZERO coverage at my home. This would essentially render the Ford Pass system useless why my truck was parked in the garage or in my driveway.

Second, cyber security. Although I'd still recommend turning off the "share driving data" option, this is by and large not about prvacy. I realize that I'm being tracked by my phone and I'm sure Ford is doing that with every connected vehicle they sell as well. This is about security and safety. Multiple whitehat hackers have demonstrated that countless auto makers connected systems security have been easly defeated with elementary level attacks, giving them full access.

Now you might say, "What's the big deal? So they can lock and unlock my doors?" Oh man I wish it was only that. But the issue is with a connected system that can address every vehicle system down to how it can drive is that it also means any nefarious actor that can penetrate every layer of security, can as well. These hackers found that once the were in, they could control not just locks and windows, but the steering, braking, accelerator, engine (start/stop) as well as the transmission position. Now I don't know about you, but for me losing control of my steering, accelerator and shifter while driving down the highway has to be in my top 10 nightmare scenarios.

And I often hear the rebuttal of "Well what makes you think you're special enough to be targeted and hacked? That's the thing, it doesnt have to be an attack targeted at me. It could just be a bored hacker who's a back to the future fan who releases a virus and then overnight Ford vehicles are crashing themselves if they reach 88mph. 🤷‍♀️

So for me, my truck is only ever connected when I need to force it to update, otherwise the software switches are disabled and the modem disconnected. Android Auto is the only thing I'd use anyway.

Hope this clears things up a bit!

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
You do know you can be tracked if your phone is off right no need to have it on. If you don't want to be tracked dump the phone and credit cards and sell the truck. It's always going to get pinged even if connectivity is off.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You do know you can be tracked if your phone is off right no need to have it on. If you don't want to be tracked dump the phone and credit cards and sell the truck. It's always going to get pinged even if connectivity is off.
Please re read my above post. Nowhere did I say that I was doing this out of a privacy concern. In fact, I expressly stated to the contrary. This is about cybersecurity, not privacy. They are not one in the same.

If this isn't a concern to you and you don't feel like this solution is for you, you don't have to use it. I'm simply sharing knowledge and my experience.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I also like the lack of need for an internet connection for a more reliable start, considering my garage has almost no wifi coverage and AT&T has essentially ZERO coverage at my home. This would essentially render the Ford Pass system useless why my truck was parked in the garage or in my driveway.

Ok, I'm still a little confused. When using the app to remote start our trucks, I was figuring that the app transmits signal via cellular signal that then goes thru internet and then is sent to truck thru satellite (OTA) or does the truck need a constant internet connection? How does a remote start command get from my phone app, to my truck?

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, I'm still a little confused. When using the app to remote start our trucks, I was figuring that the app transmits signal via cellular signal that then goes thru internet and then is sent to truck thru satellite (OTA) or does the truck need a constant internet connection? How does a remote start command get from my phone app, to my truck?
So basically, you tap "start" within the app on your phone and that command is transmitted over the internet either using your phone's connection to a wifi network or its cellular data connection to Ford's servers. The server then interprets the command and determines which vehicle the command is for then sends the command to the TCM (Tellematics Control Module) of the associated vehicle, and then the truck starts.

So yes, to answer your question the truck needs to be constantly connected to the internet for remote start from the Ford Pass app to function and it will fail if the truck has no cell or wifi connection. (Ford contracts with AT&T for their cellular connectivity)

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
@ctuan13 loved the video on telemetry. I may just wire a switch to turn it on when I need to do something and leave it off most of the time.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@ctuan13 loved the video on telemetry. I may just wire a switch to turn it on when I need to do something and leave it off most of the time.
Hey thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful!

I've also been planning on some sort of switch. I even considered wiring it up and running the switch all the way up to the front under the driver's side of the dash, but I figured that's probably unnecessary as I would need to turn it on/off so infrequently. I just haven't gotten around to wiring something up yet.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Document that t if you do. I'd be interested in doing the same.
Sponsored