• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Hey @ctuan13 ,

When you have the modem disconnected, does hands-free blue cruise work for you? I find that whenever my modem chokes, I lose HFBC and the Tivo-like functions of the Sirius Xm. They both seem to be dependent on connectivity to work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Hey @ctuan13 ,

When you have the modem disconnected, does hands-free blue cruise work for you? I find that whenever my modem chokes, I lose HFBC and the Tivo-like functions of the Sirius Xm. They both seem to be dependent on connectivity to work.
I'll be honest, I've never used it! 😬 I'm just not a cruise control driver. Everything from my 79 Lincoln to my 2003 Marauder I can count on two fingers the number of times I've used cruise control. No particular reason other than I just don't really like it.

But from what I can figure out, the blue cruise system requires a data connection to work or at the very least, the TCM connected. The reason I'm pretty sure of this is that recordings of your face and eyes (using the infrared cameras) are sent to Ford's servers and this can only happen with a data connection (or it not a current data connection, the TCM connected so that cached recordings can be sent when connectivity is restored).

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Document that t if you do. I'd be interested in doing the same.
U2. I have a feeling you will get to it before I do. I didn’t put anything about the scope creep of honey do list in my prenup. Still trying to catch up.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On a side note for those considering disconnecting telemetry/modem for security and periodically connecting for OTA, keep in mind one of the largest security breaches in U.S. happened through software update. I am not saying it is not a good idea. Just saying it does not guarantee safety.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
On a side note for those considering disconnecting telemetry/modem for security and periodically connecting for OTA, keep in mind one of the largest security breaches in U.S. happened through software update. I am not saying it is not a good idea. Just saying it does not guarantee safety.
Well of course, nothing is foolproof. But the advantage here is also that you can simply wait, disconnected from the network before installing each software update to see if the early adopters or bug hunters find any issues/malicious code within the update.

If you're constantly connected to the network with auto updates on, that really isn't an option.

But yes, obviously, nothing is 100%. If I wanted to 100% mitigate the risk of electronics compromising the safety of my vehicle, I'd be driving a 1970 LTD with a carburetor and points ignition system. Everything we do is only a degree of risk reduction. On the whole, it's up to the individual to decide what degree of risk is worth what benefit they're looking for.

Sponsored

OrangeCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
Hey @ctuan13 ,

It looks like hands-free does NOT work if the modem is not communicating. I found this out when my modem locked up (fix coming in a month hopefully) and stopped communicating and I couldn't do anything Fordpass. Hands-free returned after I did the disconnect/reconnect 12v battery.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well of course, nothing is foolproof. But the advantage here is also that you can simply wait, disconnected from the network before installing each software update to see if the early adopters or bug hunters find any issues/malicious code within the update.

If you're constantly connected to the network with auto updates on, that really isn't an option.

But yes, obviously, nothing is 100%. If I wanted to 100% mitigate the risk of electronics compromising the safety of my vehicle, I'd be driving a 1970 LTD with a carburetor and points ignition system. Everything we do is only a degree of risk reduction. On the whole, it's up to the individual to decide what degree of risk is worth what benefit they're looking for.
I agree with everything you mentioned and will likely be doing it soon myself with understanding is that there are other potential downsides (if I miss two updates and connect back in, I don't have the confidence Ford update process will handle it cleanly). But over all, I consider disconnecting for the way I use the vehicle a positive thing.

Last edited:

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
It looks like hands-free does NOT work if the modem is not communicating. I found this out when my modem locked up (fix coming in a month hopefully) and stopped communicating and I couldn't do anything Fordpass. Hands-free returned after I did the disconnect/reconnect 12v battery.
Yep, that was exactly my experience as well.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Love this. I reprogrammed my i3 alarm button to pre-condition and it worked beautifully. It's just nice to have manual controls for stuff. The Gen Z luddites are onto something..

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Love this. I reprogrammed my i3 alarm button to pre-condition and it worked beautifully. It's just nice to have manual controls for stuff. The Gen Z luddites are onto something..
I've got 2 of those i3's in my house, and am planning to do so for both soon. We don't need no stinkin' 3G. πŸ˜‰
Sponsored