• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Wasn't sure where to make this post so I'm just posting it in general, but if one of the admins feels it belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it!

So let's get into it!

Why even do this?
I have never liked the idea of perpetual network connection within a vehicle's core systems and therefore my software switches for connectivity are turned off and my modem physically disconnected at all times, with the exception being when I'm parked in the garage and attempting to trigger OTAs to download. There are just too many cybersecurity and safety implications of a company with little real competent experience with software, protecting an internet connected vehicle's control systems from cyber attack.

However that part of the situation, though it may be annoying there isn't a simple hardware switch for the TCU, isn't the real issue. It's easy enough to pull a plug. I even have a video on my channel showing how. The real issue is that Ford removed the ability to remote start the truck from the key fob, a feature that's been available in some form from the factory for almost 10 years.

You want remote charge monitoring and control to only go through the app, that makes sense, but an inability to remote start the truck from the key fob seems like a huge step backwards even if you have zero concerns about cyber security. What happens when there is no cell service or the servers are down or for some reason the system isn't functioning?

These reasons and more are why i decided to undertake this experiment. And I'm glad I did!

How did I do this?
I used the Start-X Remote Start Kit for 2021+ F150s, specifically for those equipped with a smart key push button system. Despite zero claims or indications that this would work with the Lightning, I was hopeful. Between just how much carry over there is on the Lightning and the fact that I'd had the glovebox out before and the harnesses and specific connector needed were not only present but all laid out exactly the same as on the gas F150 used in their instructions and install video.

So enjoy my video below and feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the system works, etc. I've had about a week with the system now so I've gotten a bitten of a feel for how it all behaves!

And thanks to @Pioneer74 for the initial suggestion!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And some things to add that I either didn't include or didn't go into detail in the video:
- the remote start settings within the Sync system work to control the parameters of keyfob remote start.
- lots of people have been talking about having issues remote starting from Ford Pass and once entering the truck, finding the seat isn't in their position and their profile isn't selected. However, with this setup, as long as you link a fob to your profile, it'll be selected when you enter after.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So a 3rd party remote start that works with gas F-150s also works with F-150L. That's not a surprise.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So a 3rd party remote start that works with gas F-150s also works with F-150L. That's not a surprise.
Aftermarket, yes. But there's no cutting, splicing and no separate remote.

Using the OEM remote you can trigger the factory remote start mode.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm going to check this out tonight. My wife doesn't like all the connectedness either. It's a big reason why we haven't gotten a Tesla. I'll also look for your video on the modem, it didn't occur to me that it would be feasible to connect/reconnect it. Kudos!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I don't mind starting from the app. In theory, most of the time you'd need this is accomplished from correctly setting departure times. That way the battery also conditions.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't mind starting from the app. In theory, most of the time you'd need this is accomplished from correctly setting departure times. That way the battery also conditions.
Oh 100% I see the benefits of Ford Pass and fully acknowledge that for most, it's what they want. But for those that don't, or for those who have connectivity issues, this is a great solution!

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I may give this a try (whenever my truck arrives lol).

How is the range on these factory remote fobs? The 6 button Ford fob that came with my 2007 F-150 has really great range. 1000, 1500 feet is not a problem for arm/disarm and remote start.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Nice, a little expensive for me though. If it was like $50 for the kit I would probably get it.

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
What's the deal with not liking the connectivity? Is there a reason you don't want the truck connected?

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Nice solution. I'm actually trying to get rid of the Fob (still no PaaK) but it really is something that should have come from the factory.

What kind of cyber attack are you concerned about? Maybe there's something I've not considered but for me the convenience of the connected features outweigh the security risk.

My personal data has been breached on several platforms including by the federal government. My credit cards have been compromised a half dozen times and I've had money fraudulently taken from my checking account. The guardrails in place assured I didn't lose a dime. It was certainly inconvenient but the day-to-day convenience of modern banking and commerce far outweigh the negatives in my calculation.

To be clear I'm not saying you're wrong. Everyone has their own risk tolerance. I genuinely interested in what a cyber attack on a pickup truck would look like.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Interested in what a cyber attack on a pickup truck would look like.
In its simplest form, a compromise of the Ford pass system would allow locking, unlocking, popping the frunk, etc.

To go a little more elaborate, we don't know how much of the CAN bus is exposed/accessible externally, either intentionally by Ford, or unintentionally in the form of poor code/security design. For example, the truck has self driving capability. It can steer, accelerate, and brake. And it has cameras.

And this is not just an overactive imagination, or too many CSI episodes. It's been done. I don't recall the exact specifics, but I want to say it was a Jeep that was used to demo a proof of concept of a remote takeover, wherein the remote attacker swerved into oncoming traffic (in a controlled environment).

So those are just some examples of an attacker.

But what about your whereabouts being known at all times? Like knowing when someone visits a place of worship, HIV or abortion clinic, political rally, or important secret business meeting (think discussing a deal that will affect stock value). What if you need to bury a body in the woods?!

I know, I know, your cell phone does the same thing. Yeah, I'm not happy about that either. At least I can turn that off. It doesn't mean we should just accept it laying down.

Yes, it's always a choice between convenience over privacy/security. And yes, buying this vehicle (or any modern vehicle, really) is essentially accepting defeat on the privacy front. But it doesn't mean we stop trying.

If we all keep an eye towards privacy/ security, maybe one day we get protections in place that require the external communications and smart features to be killable with a hard (mechanical) switch. A gduy can dream.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I skimmed through the video. Did I miss where you show which button on the key fob actually turns the car on? Isn't that the main point since Ford obviously removed the fob start because they didn't want to make a new fob with 5 buttons?

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
it was a combo of the unlock and lock button I think it was lock unlock lock
Sponsored