• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FYI - Reading Lights Must Be Off To Turn Them Off

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
Making in informational post that your reading lights have to be off in order to turn off your reading lights...

The other day I noticed both of my back seat reading lights were on while I was driving. 99% chance it was two certain children who had been sent out to clean their items out of the truck two nights before. Luckily the thing still started after I ran errands the day before and didn't notice...

Anyway, when I arrived at my destination I checked some emails and sat for a bit, then I reached behind me and turned off the one on the driver's side. I got out, walked around the back and pushed the button for the one on the passenger side. Locked the door. Waited. All lights off, but passenger reading light still on. Opened the door. Pushed the button again. Blah blah blah. Still on. Still on. Then I realized that maybe the light has to be off before you can turn it off. This required me to awkwardly sit in my kids booster seat and wait for the welcome lights to turn off before I could turn it off. Just a heads up in case this happens to you!
Sponsored

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Making in informational post that your reading lights have to be off in order to turn off your reading lights...

The other day I noticed both of my back seat reading lights were on while I was driving. 99% chance it was two certain children who had been sent out to clean their items out of the truck two nights before. Luckily the thing still started after I ran errands the day before and didn't notice...

Anyway, when I arrived at my destination I checked some emails and sat for a bit, then I reached behind me and turned off the one on the driver's side. I got out, walked around the back and pushed the button for the one on the passenger side. Locked the door. Waited. All lights off, but passenger reading light still on. Opened the door. Pushed the button again. Blah blah blah. Still on. Still on. Then I realized that maybe the light has to be off before you can turn it off. This required me to awkwardly sit in my kids booster seat and wait for the welcome lights to turn off before I could turn it off. Just a heads up in case this happens to you!
Ditto here. Strange way to set up the lights, and I discovered the same way you did. Sat in back to solve the same way. Ford ought to tweak that

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thankfully I have no kids or malicious rear passengers.

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Turn off all those lights from the driver's seat. Press the over-head interior lights button twice.

I, too, have little ones and am thankful for it!
I will have to give it a shot. The problem is I do not always realize they are left on unless I go out to the truck at night to get something. Fortunately, we have a massive battery so it will never actually be a problem.

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
I will have to give it a shot. The problem is I do not always realize they are left on unless I go out to the truck at night to get something. Fortunately, we have a massive battery so it will never actually be a problem.
Make no mistake, there's a tiny 12 volt battery powering everything except the drive motors, and the 12v battery doesn't get charged unless the truck is On.

But compared to the tiny LEDs, it is massive.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
Turn off all those lights from the driver's seat. Press the over-head interior lights button twice.

Did not know this trick, thank you!

OP
OP

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

LOL!!! Well, that sounds easier than getting into a kid's carseat...

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
they are left on
I'm almost positive that the lights will all go out after a few (maybe 15) minutes to prevent the 12v battery from getting run down.
Almost, some testing is required.

Sponsored

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
I'm almost positive that the lights will all go out after a few (maybe 15) minutes to prevent the 12v battery from getting run down.
Almost, some testing is required.
Maybe there is a setting to disable/enable that? I am pretty sure I have gone outside several hours after picking my 2yo up from childcare only to notice the reading light is still on.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
some testing
I can confirm that the reading lights do self extinguish after a few minutes there is no worry to your battery.

They come back on when the door is opened or with proximity if you have the welcome lighting on. I have disabled the welcome lighting on mine.

OP
OP

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can confirm that the reading lights do self extinguish after a few minutes there is no worry to your battery.

They come back on when the door is opened or with proximity if you have the welcome lighting on. I have disabled the welcome lighting on mine.
Hmmm... The one definitely stayed on after the other lights all went out a minute or so after I locked the doors. Also, they were on, while I was driving anyway, at least 2 days after anyone had been in the back seat. I'm not sure they were on the whole time, but for sure while driving two days later. With the tinted windows, and the fact that I'm constantly in a rush, I easily could have missed them when I first went out to the truck.

My parents let the kids play in their 2023 Subaru over the summer and they left a light on in the back of it. A day or two later, when they went to start their car, it was dead and they had to call a tow truck to come jump it, so I guess other cars still have this issue which seems like would have been remedied in the 80's...

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
stayed on after the other lights all went out
on, while I was driving
for sure while driving two days later.
That is correct, they will stay on when its running but will eventually shut off to prevent the battery going flat.

With some of these more tech advanced vehicles like the lightning, even leaving the door open won't kill the battery.

I've actually gotten annoyed by this feature while working out of the truck at night with my tools in the back seat and the lights go out and then I can't see to get back to the truck.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I've actually gotten annoyed by this feature while working out of the truck at night with my tools in the back seat and the lights go out and then I can't see to get back to the truck.
Just means you’re getting old. ;)
Sponsored