• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is mine the only state that punishes folks for buying an EV?

Thomas

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Occupation
Retired
I have read with interest reports on this forum of incentives provided by states to encourage the purchase of EVs. I just registered my Lightning and the itemized registration fees included a $200 Electric Vehicle Fee which I will have to pay every year. Is Alabama the only state that does that?
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
A lot of states do that to compensate for the lost gas taxes. It’s supposed to go to road maintenance and as long as it does I’m OK with it. You used to pay $0.28 to Alabama for every gallon of gas so just remember that every time you plug your truck in.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Michigan charge a higher annual registration fee for EVs, on the other hand they're talking EV incentives this that and the other... (all talk for now) but then again, that's why it's called politics.

Not that I care too much... federal incentives was a factor in my decision to go EV, state - definitely not.

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
VT charges a larger registration fee now too. As indicated above gasoline tax revenue loss is the rationalization.

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
A lot of states do that to compensate for the lost gas taxes. It’s supposed to go to road maintenance and as long as it does I’m OK with it. You used to pay $0.28 to Alabama for every gallon of gas so just remember that every time you plug your truck in.
But I don’t buy 714 gallons of truck gas to break even.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Oregon registration fees for a new EV are over $800.

Your state isn't the only one. They have to make money back because you aren't paying the fuel tax. It's not a punishment.

OP
OP
Thomas

Thomas

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Occupation
Retired
Oregon registration fees for a new EV are over $800.

Your state isn't the only one. They have to make money back because you aren't paying the fuel tax. It's not a punishment.
Yeah, that’s about what my total registration was. does Oregon also give a rebate?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The fule tax I used to pay now goes to power company as delivery fee for electricity. May be state should take some of that additional revenue from power company or increase the gas tax to incentivize faster EV adoption.

Edit: U.S. gas tax has a lot of room for increase. There is no need to hit EV owners.

Ford F-150 Lightning Is mine the only state that punishes folks for buying an EV? 1679349261806

Last edited:

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yeah, that’s about what my total registration was. does Oregon also give a rebate?
Not anymore on the Lightning. Only vehicles under $50k.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The fule tax I used to pay now goes to power company as delivery fee for electricity. May be state should take some of that additional revenue from power company or increase the gas tax to incentivize faster EV adoption.
I see what you're saying, but I don't want my rates going up. A 0%-100% charge at home costs me $7. $7 for 240 miles.

What my state is doing, and I'm participating in, is charging me for actual mileage driven in my state instead of the $800 registration fee. It auto charges me and is roughly $10-$15 a month so far.

OP
OP
Thomas

Thomas

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram
Occupation
Retired
I see what you're saying, but I don't want my rates going up. A 0%-100% charge at home costs me $7. $7 for 240 miles.

What my state is doing, and I'm participating in, is charging me for actual mileage driven in my state instead of the $800 registration fee. It auto charges me and is roughly $10-$15 a month so far.
I’d be all in for that!