• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is mine the only state that punishes folks for buying an EV?

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Unfortunately, they do not mention this when renewing (or I did not see it). I just paid an additional $100 for our Prius. A car that has been driving less than 100 miles in the last 4 month. Just sits there to be used as trade in for the Lightning:cool:.
There is some talk that my county is trying to get rid of the property tax on cars, that might be the much better deal.
Property Tax on cars?? They never quit... death and taxes I guess...
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Everyone should pay the same per vehicle, but a flat fee specifically on EVs is not fair. It always seems to be too high. I already pay a 4% fee to my local taxing district for electricity. Plus I am sure more to the state via my inflated electric coop rates. And if you use public charging there is tax in there as well, so how about these people get there sticky fingers outta my pockets and solve some real problems?
If you're not paying highway use taxes, who should pay for your use of highways? If everybody should pay the same per vehicle, yet a flat rate on EVs is unfair but in-state EV mileage reporting is too much Big Brother, how do you propose to pay the same as everybody else?

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
If you're not paying highway use taxes, who should pay for your use of highways? If everybody should pay the same per vehicle, yet a flat rate on EVs is unfair but in-state EV mileage reporting is too much Big Brother, how do you propose to pay the same as everybody else?
Well, I did say a flat fee on every vehicle. That is how we do it. Get rid of the gas tax and make everyone pay the same. But watching how many miles I drive and Following my movements via a GPS tracker in my OBD port or unjustly targeting EVs is not an appropriate use of power by the same people who want you to drive EVs. Oregon case in point.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For people who don't drive a lot and want people who drive more to pay a higher fee, you'll get charged in other ways. I know a lot of people who Door Dash instead of picking up food, might as well add another 3% on those orders for higher milage taxes. Use Amazon a lot instead of going to the store? Someone needs to pay for that delivery vehicle's milage.

Unless you're sitting at home and not consuming, someone needs to pay for roads. Our highway system is one of the things that made our country great, regardless of how much you are on it, it benefits all Americans.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Property Tax on cars?? They never quit... death and taxes I guess...
Property taxes on personal items is called Personal Property Tax in most states that have it. In some states it's both sizeable and annual.

South Carolina - 6%, but with a limit now.
Massachusetts - levied by the township you live in. $25 per $1,000 of value. $60,000 car, $1,500.

We paid Mass tax back in the 1980s, been around a long time.

This is why when people complain about "taxes", they need to include ALL taxes. Real estate tax, personal property tax, sales tax, income tax...

When we lived in Mass, you paid 6% tax on earnings (stocks, mutual funds) generated in-state, 12% on out of state. Fidelity was in state, Vanguard was out of state. It was called Taxachusetts for a reason. We moved to PA, and they complained about taxes. I laughed.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Massachusetts - levied by the township you live in. $25 per $1,000 of value. $60,000 car, $1,500.

We paid Mass tax back in the 1980s, been around a long time.

This is why when people complain about "taxes", they need to include ALL taxes. Real estate tax, personal property tax, sales tax, income tax...
And our personal property taxes ie [Excise Tax] on vehicles, pay for more that the roads, it's used to supplement all line items in the municipal budget.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And our personal property taxes ie on vehicles, pay for more that the roads, it's used to supplement all line items in the municipal budget.
Right.

In Michigan, we don't have personal property tax. Our vehicle registration is way lower than many states, but our vehicle insurance is the 2nd highest in the country. It was the first highest until they changed a law re: catastrophic insurance pool.

My last registration was $427 for my Mach-E, vs. $168 for the F-150 ICE. the reason for the higher amount is a $140 EV fee, so the comparison is $287 vs. $168, and that's based on value.

But my insurance on the Mach-E is around $1,600 a year, but around $700 a year for the F-150, which is 9 years old.

If I moved to say South Carolina, my property taxes for a comparable property would be 25 - 30% of what I pay in Michigan. But I'd pay personal property tax on my vehicles, boat, boat motor, boat trailer, ...

As I said, add it all up before evaluating the benefits, or non-benefits, of living somewhere.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Right.

In Michigan, we don't have personal property tax. Our vehicle registration is way lower than many states, but our vehicle insurance is the 2nd highest in the country. It was the first highest until they changed a law re: catastrophic insurance pool.

My last registration was $427 for my Mach-E, vs. $168 for the F-150 ICE. the reason for the higher amount is a $140 EV fee, so the comparison is $287 vs. $168, and that's based on value.

But my insurance on the Mach-E is around $1,600 a year, but around $700 a year for the F-150, which is 9 years old.

If I moved to say South Carolina, my property taxes for a comparable property would be 25 - 30% of what I pay in Michigan. But I'd pay personal property tax on my vehicles, boat, boat motor, boat trailer, ...

As I said, add it all up before evaluating the benefits, or non-benefits, of living somewhere.
Some states can be different form county to county. Kansas is one . Personal property taxes are much higher in my county than the county just north. Folks in my county also pay a county tax and a city tax monthly on each cell phone..

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I live in Alabama I feel your pain. Not only do we get the tsg fee, but our state charging infrastructure or lack therof is horrible. I’m glad I charge exclusively at home.

Gerrard155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Duty
There are a lot of people on here functionally screaming "YES I WANT ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE BUT SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD PAY FOR IT! I am SPECIAL!"

Taxes pay for services-that's how it works. There will be new taxes on EV's because the existing tax structure (diesel/gas tax) does not apply. Taxes/fees you pay electric company does not solve this problem-those cover the cost of delivering electricity (power lines/etc), not vehicle infrastructure such as roads.

Sponsored

White Lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Pharmacist | Pharmacy Owner
I have read with interest reports on this forum of incentives provided by states to encourage the purchase of EVs. I just registered my Lightning and the itemized registration fees included a $200 Electric Vehicle Fee which I will have to pay every year. Is Alabama the only state that does that?
Georgia's is $210.96 for FY 2022/23. Varies year-to-year, but since it was enacted in 2016 has been around $210 ±$5. It's about the same as fed/state fuel taxes on 425 gal of gasoline (49.5¢/gal) or 350 gal of diesel (59.4¢/gal).

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
There are a lot of people on here functionally screaming "YES I WANT ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE BUT SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD PAY FOR IT! I am SPECIAL!"

Taxes pay for services-that's how it works. There will be new taxes on EV's because the existing tax structure (diesel/gas tax) does not apply. Taxes/fees you pay electric company does not solve this problem-those cover the cost of delivering electricity (power lines/etc), not vehicle infrastructure such as roads.
Yeah and maybe stuff should be paid from income tax, sales tax, property tax. Where the heck is all that going. does everything thing needs its own tax and fee ? We are freaking taxed to death. Sorry we cant pay your garbage collection off your property tax anymore we need a garbage fee. Sorry we can't afford school supplies from the school tax anymore can each student buy tissues and toilet paper.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
No particular tax is involved in any specific item being funded. No matter what your legislators tell you, or what was written into a bill. They can spend how they see fit. And if they say a particular levy is for a particular purpose, it simply means that they can reduce the other funding they might have put towards that item by an equal amount to spend elsewhere.

If we intend to fund our roads through taxes because we deem them valuable to society, we should fund them. If we think that taxing gas or EVs or whatever is a fair way to raise revenue, then we should tax them. If somebody tells you "We should tax gas because we need to fund the roads" they're just wrong. Those are unrelated things that just sound related.

Taxing roads based on use is misguided. Everybody benefits from our roads, whether they're using them directly or not. Why should somebody who needs to drive to work have to pay more for the roads than somebody who stays home and has everything they need delivered to them - including the long haul trucking that stocked the local warehouses in the first place. Individual use of the roads for our personal transport is the least of the benefits we all get from a functioning road-based transportation system.

At the end of the day, gas taxes, EV fees, etc.. they're all political gimmicks. Partially to raise taxes without the voters thinking you raised taxes, and partially as weapons in our petty culture wars.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
From the FEDERAL perspective:

Excise tax revenue is collected and accounted for in designated buckets, based on the "Schedule Numbers" as seen on form 720, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f720.pdf

Federal level spending is loosely associated to the revenue, but like the entire budget seldom balances or matches to the million dollars never mind to the penny. Further, the balance of appropriations to regional revenue collections is often mismatched as special national scope projects are funded with revenue collected far away.

Last Thursday's daily cash report for the day/month/Fiscal year
https://fsapps.fiscal.treasury.gov/dts/files/23032300.pdf
Ford F-150 Lightning Is mine the only state that punishes folks for buying an EV? 1679942118152

James1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
banker
Georgia's is $210.96 for FY 2022/23. Varies year-to-year, but since it was enacted in 2016 has been around $210 ±$5. It's about the same as fed/state fuel taxes on 425 gal of gasoline (49.5¢/gal) or 350 gal of diesel (59.4¢/gal).
Yep; when I lived in Georgia I paid that tax annually to register my Chebby Bolt. I now live in Tennessee where the annual EV registration is an extra $100. As an added bonus, Tennessee has no state income tax. Other than an amazing airport, I miss little about Atlanta...
Sponsored