• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is mine the only state that punishes folks for buying an EV?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Oregon registration fees for a new EV are over $800.

Your state isn't the only one. They have to make money back because you aren't paying the fuel tax. It's not a punishment.
California charges $175 for EV registration but my entire registration I paid for my '22 Lightning was almost $1000 !!!

Someone is ripping someone...
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I see what you're saying, but I don't want my rates going up. A 0%-100% charge at home costs me $7. $7 for 240 miles.

What my state is doing, and I'm participating in, is charging me for actual mileage driven in my state instead of the $800 registration fee. It auto charges me and is roughly $10-$15 a month so far.
Actual mileage driven makes sense since it correspond to the use of state services and driver contribution to congestion which in turn forces the state to increase the capacity.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Actual mileage driven makes sense since it correspond to the use of state services and driver contribution to congestion which in turn forces the state to increase the capacity.
Exactly. This is why fuel tax no longer makes sense, IMO.

Now, this program has 2 types of reporting. Manual reporting (submit a photo of your mileage monthly), or automated reporting which I do. I read the fine print and verified how the data was and wasn't being used. While I know nothing is technically "private" nowadays I felt secure enough to have their OBD decide in my truck. When I drive into Washington, Idaho, or Cali (which I do often) it doesn't log those miles towards my fees. At the end of the month it calculates my usage, which I can review, and autocharges me (as I said, so far it's been $10-$15 a month).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Many states do this. Easily found before purchase.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This comes up every 2 years in TX. So far it has been defeated. I'm OK paying road taxes since I no longer buy gas, but the lawmakers want to make the EV fee higher than most gas autos pay.

So it's time to scrap the old tax collected on gas and make either a flat assessment per vehicle registered or do it based on mileage and good luck collecting that each year without cheaters.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I'm in Vermont. I want to support the roads in proportion to my use. 2 EVs and 1 phev in our household, maybe 17k miles annually between all three. Let's scrap the gas tax and variable registration fees and have a mileage based fee structure. No, EVs don't pay the gas tax, but figure out how much gas tax I would pay based on my miles driven and assess me only that amount.

My truck in laws live in Ohio and I went to school there so follow some of their goings on. $200 per car that plugs in (even low range phev that use plenty of gas).

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Virginia has the OBD based mileage reporting as an option to paying the yearly fuel-efficient vehicle fee. The Catch-22 is that you can only enroll when renewing your registration. New vehicles have to wait. Seems ridiculous and the company administering the program says that there may be changes soon. So far, it hasn't helped me out on Lightning.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Virginia has the OBD based mileage reporting as an option to paying the yearly fuel-efficient vehicle fee. The Catch-22 is that you can only enroll when renewing your registration. New vehicles have to wait. Seems ridiculous and the company administering the program says that there may be changes soon. So far, it hasn't helped me out on Lightning.
Doesn’t it also record all miles regardless of whether its instate or out, or did they change that?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So it's time to scrap the old tax collected on gas and make either a flat assessment per vehicle registered or do it based on mileage and good luck collecting that each year without cheaters.
WE HAVE WAYS...................

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Doesn’t it also record all miles regardless of whether its instate or out, or did they change that?
I don't know, I couldn't participate because it was a new vehicle registration and you can only enroll when renewing your registration. Really seems silly to me.

Sponsored

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Unfortunately, they do not mention this when renewing (or I did not see it). I just paid an additional $100 for our Prius. A car that has been driving less than 100 miles in the last 4 month. Just sits there to be used as trade in for the Lightning:cool:.
There is some talk that my county is trying to get rid of the property tax on cars, that might be the much better deal.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Indiana also has a flat rate equal to >15K miles. Not too surprising or worrisome. I'd definitely rather pay a flat rate than have tracking enabled even though we drive less than 10K miles across 2 EVs.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
California charges $175 for EV registration but my entire registration I paid for my '22 Lightning was almost $1000 !!!

Someone is ripping someone...
Oh yes, and he lives in Sacramento ....

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
This comes up every 2 years in TX. So far it has been defeated. I'm OK paying road taxes since I no longer buy gas, but the lawmakers want to make the EV fee higher than most gas autos pay.

Everyone should pay the same per vehicle, but a flat fee specifically on EVs is not fair. It always seems to be too high. I already pay a 4% fee to my local taxing district for electricity. Plus I am sure more to the state via my inflated electric coop rates. And if you use public charging there is tax in there as well, so how about these people get there sticky fingers outta my pockets and solve some real problems?
Sponsored