• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Issues with Charge Station Pro

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (coming soon)

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The last time I checked, no one made a 100A GFCI breaker for residential load centers.
I think Siemens may have come out with one. I'm not even sure a residential use case for one that big. It was the simplest thing I could think that would kind of match the symptoms.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I think Siemens may have come out with one. I'm not even sure a residential use case for one that big. It was the simplest thing I could think that would kind of match the symptoms.
The next issue is you can’t mix different manufacturer’s breaker and panels unless specifically listed for each other.

I’m 99% convinced his FCSP has an internal issue.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The next issue is you can’t mix different manufacturer’s breaker and panels unless specifically listed for each other.

I’m 99% convinced his FCSP has an internal issue.
Yup - or issue in the J1772 handle.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"a ground fault"

It could very well be a ground fault but it could be an issue where your bonding is a very long way away. For example if you have an acreage home where the neutral and ground rod are hundreds of feet away it could do that.

You need to get a qualified person to look at it since there is really no way for us to diag it miles away. A ground fault needs to be addressed.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"a ground fault"

It could very well be a ground fault but it could be an issue where your bonding is a very long way away. For example if you have an acreage home where the neutral and ground rod are hundreds of feet away it could do that.

You need to get a qualified person to look at it since there is really no way for us to diag it miles away. A ground fault needs to be addressed.
Working with the electrician that installed it in parallel, but this is their first CSP and aren't sure what the issue is either. It's a small, suburban house. The charger literally only about 6-8" away from the panel.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The EVSE shouldn't any different than any other 240VAC device except the constant use requirement and if plug a gfci.

While you may have a load center 6-8 feet away, I'd wonder where and how well your ground it. This all may be of no value it is currently only a wild guess at this point.

There are plenty of web posts about Tesla and other EV owners with similar issues. Generally the are about using a generator. I bought an EVSE that fit into my gas generator and day one I tried it. Dang, didn't work. Showed fault. OK, get the neutral to ground trick plug and try it. Dang, didn't work. Test neutral to ground resistance. OK, OK, try it on dryer outlet. Worked. Some suggest putting a ground rod and attach to generator. (like everyone is supposed to do actually)

Last edited:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The EVSE reporting a ground fault is localized to the connection between the EVSE and the truck. It detects this via a CT ring placed around the two supply conductors in the J1772 cable. If it detects an imbalance, the EVSE makes the assumption that some current is going to ground somewhere and errors out.

It will not detect ground problems upstream of the FCSP, so it's unlikely to be anything related to your panels or how the FCSP is connected.

It's likely to be a defect with your FCSP, either in the sense circuit or a problem with the handle. It *could* be a defect with the vehicle's charging system, e.g. if the charger had a defect that allowed some current to sneak to ground. But if there are some chargers that work and your FCSP doesn't, it's likely to be a defect in your FCSP.

Good luck.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's likely to be a defect with your FCSP, either in the sense circuit or a problem with the handle. It *could* be a defect with the vehicle's charging system, e.g. if the charger had a defect that allowed some current to sneak to ground. But if there are some chargers that work and your FCSP doesn't, it's likely to be a defect in your FCSP.
That seems to be the consensus between the electrician and SunRun. Now I need to figure out how to get a replacement shipped out. I would expect SunRun to handle it, but it seems they're implying I need to contact Ford.

Good luck.
Thanks! I need some!

Sponsored
OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SunRun instructed me to contact Ford and provided me the Ford Help Hotline number (800) 392-3673. I was transferred 4 times then they asked me if I'd tried calling into the original number. I laughed. Finally they assigned a case number to me and should be calling me back today to hopefully ship out a new one. The callback number was different too, 866-631-3788.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
SunRun instructed me to contact Ford and provided me the Ford Help Hotline number (800) 392-3673. I was transferred 4 times then they asked me if I'd tried calling into the original number. I laughed. Finally they assigned a case number to me and should be calling me back today to hopefully ship out a new one. The callback number was different too, 866-631-3788.
In my running notes, I show the (800) 392-3673 number is for Ford’s After Delivery Support, and that we should ask to be transferred to the BEV Team…. Is that where you eventually ended up after the 4th transfer?

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Called back and was bounced around again many times. Was never able to actually get connected to the BEV team. They are supposed to be calling me back this week.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They called back and connected me to Siemens tech support. Apparently they are the manufacturers of the CSP? Gathered my info then requested I emailed pictures of the blinking red light. The recommended action was to power cycle the station... Can't say how many times I've done that. Hopefully further recommendations are forthcoming.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still waiting from a response from Siemens. Seems the charger is getting worse. Takes multiple power cycles to get to a charge going. Last night it kept faulting while waiting for the charging time to start at midnight. After midnight I power cycled again and then it finally started charging. Very frustrating.
Sponsored