• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So I haven’t read through every post but here is my latest with the MIA trailer brake module. Hope it helps!

After waiting a year…one year…. for the module with nothing but “its backordered” answers from my dealer, I phoned Ford Canada. They MUST have a work around by now?? As I noticed on an earlier post that someone got the part…ending in AA….to to work. This was the part originally sent and the dealer said it wouldnt work, it was a computer connection problem. Ford Canada was no help, gave me a bunch of excuses about chip shortages, although as far as I can tell they are available and going in Lariats and Platinums. I guess waiting patiently for a year was not worth the bother for them to get one to me.

So…needing to haul an excavator, I went the aftermarket route. With the harness supplied, it can’t be hard? It will be ugly but whatever, I can’t wait any longer. But I can’t find where to connect under the dash. I go through all the manuals/online/YouTube…….and find nothing. They supplied the harness….so why not supply instructions??

I’ve had trucks my whole life and connected many of these. So I phone the dealer. They said they have to do it because it also needs a computer set up??

This was done yesterday…for $350. AND I supplied the aftermarket trailer brake controller!!! This is solely dealer labour When I looked under the dash to see where they connected it……it was connected to a pigtail on the wiring harness that was plugged originally into a dummy socket. So it was not at all obvious when I first started looking where to plug in. purposely hidden in fact!

So to try to clarify…..it’s the electrical box on the left side, under dash, there is one pigtail plugged into a FAKE socket. The pigtail wire colour is blue/red-purple/black/yellow-red. This the pigtail to plug the harness into for the aftermarket controller.

When I asked about the “computer set up” they said there was NO computer setup needed?? Wtf??

Seems like they are trying to hide this pigtail/set up required……so we can’t do it ourselves. And then can charge $350. for four wire connections and one plug in! 1/2 an hour at most.

It is working, so I’m done….. but still extremely pissed!
This is because you used an aftermarket controller. It is not integrated with the truck's systems.
Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Any word on an official Lightning part for this from Ford anyone has heard of? I noticed in this thread the recommendation is to source part # ML3Z19H332AB for the module kit. Except this part # and every F150 brake control says "Not compatible with F-150 Lightning" in the product details. What gives?

Ex: https://accessories.ford.com/trailer-brake-control

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
But you are still using the original module that came with the truck right? And only added in the switch/gain controller to see if it would work? (Hoping that it would work) I wonder if that original module in trucks that shipped without trailer brakes only looks like a trailer brake controller and is more of a pass-thru solution in case you want to swap it out for a real one down the road.

Fwiw, I was able to purchase the "Trailer Brake Module" for my vehicle from https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/trailer-brake-module-14951227-1?pdp=y (Part #: ML3Z19H332AB). It is now installed and I had no issues enabling it with Forscan. This includes both the black controller box and the gain switch.

No startup issues, and it works as expected. It seems that part goes in and out of stock during the week. My suggestion is watch it... and then perhaps you can buy a module that would just work for you.
What values did you change in forscan if you can recall?

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
Thanks to Dan and the others, I have installed and configured the trailer brake controller to work. Much appreciated!

Sponsored

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
Did you use forscan or an aftermarket controller?
I used the forscan method and genuine ford parts followed the instructions posted here. Confirmed it works.

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used the forscan method and genuine ford parts followed the instructions posted here. Confirmed it works.
Which forscan method? I haven’t found any concrete instructions on what values to change. Sorry for being a PITA lol. I’ve also heard as long as you have the module it’s just plug and play.

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
This worked for this truck, may be different for your truck options, proceed at your own risk.

Ford part number ML3 Z*19H332*F $230 which included both the black module under the dash and a the switch controller that replaced the coin holder. Everything plugged in without wiring modifications.

Tested and received the trailer disconnected error.

Connected forscan to the laptop w/ OBDlink connector and followed the instructions closely per the video posted by Mattb in this thread (page 3/5). I spent some time reading the forums and studying the forscan software. This was nerve racking because the video was third hand and you don’t want to screw up the settings. This changes the settings and turns on the module.

After that hooked up the trailer and went for a test drive, confirmed the error was gone from the dash screen and the brakes were working on the trailer before going out on the street.

bizz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Ford F250
Has anyone done this upgrade on a 2023 Lightning Pro w/ backup sensors? I have the max tow package but didn't opt for the tow technology so I don't have the built in controller but would really like it.

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Medicine
I have a 23 Pro ER with Max Tow but without any other packages (no tow tech)

I just installed the OEM controller and activated the settings in Forscan.

Gain shows up on instrument display when I adjust it, no error messages. I have not tried towing yet (but I feel good about it)

I did also activate a setting in forscan called "trailer brake assist" - I have no idea what this does so hopefully someone else can chime in with knowledge. I may go shut it off if no one else knows.

I'll report back if I have any issues when I tow.

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 23 Pro ER with Max Tow but without any other packages (no tow tech)

I just installed the OEM controller and activated the settings in Forscan.

Gain shows up on instrument display when I adjust it, no error messages. I have not tried towing yet (but I feel good about it)

I did also activate a setting in forscan called "trailer brake assist" - I have no idea what this does so hopefully someone else can chime in with knowledge. I may go shut it off if no one else knows.

I'll report back if I have any issues when I tow.
Any update? I have a 23 pro ER with the max tow (no tow tech). What part number did you use for your controller? And by controller you mean just the gain switch on the dash right? Also do you have backup sensors? Sorry for all the questions but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored