• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Leather Steering wheel Mod on Pro - Help!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The lightbar isn't all it's cracked up to be. Mine is crooked on the drivers side and the body shop at my dealership says there is no adjustment. To make matters worse, they aren't pushing Ford to get a fix for it because the only other Lightning they have on the lot has the same defect.

I suspect the bar itself is molded bent. When I go to install the LED emblem I'm going to see if I can figure out what is wrong, but if I could just remove it tomorrow, I would. Once you see it, it can't be unseen and it makes the whole truck look bad.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
The lightbar isn't all it's cracked up to be. Mine is crooked on the drivers side and the body shop at my dealership says there is no adjustment. To make matters worse, they aren't pushing Ford to get a fix for it because the only other Lightning they have on the lot has the same defect.

I suspect the bar itself is molded bent. When I go to install the LED emblem I'm going to see if I can figure out what is wrong, but if I could just remove it tomorrow, I would. Once you see it, it can't be unseen and it makes the whole truck look bad.
Now you are going to make us all look at our trucks!!!

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
Well after some research, and chatting with folks on the ICE said I have some bad news.

It turns out it's not as simple as replacing the clockspring. The entire SCCM needs to be replaced. That part is $200+ (after shipping). With a new steering wheel, bolt, SCCM, and wiring Harness it's looking like it will be in the $450-$500 range.

At that price I might be passing on this mod.
Wouldn't it be possible to buy a clock spring from a 2021 or 2022 truck that has the correct sccm? The sccm is part of the clock spring correct?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Wouldn't it be possible to buy a clock spring from a 2021 or 2022 truck that has the correct sccm? The sccm is part of the clock spring correct?
Opposite, the clockspring is part of the SCCM. The SCCM is the full assembly.

According to the ICE forums, that has been tried and found not working. The entire SCCM assembly is needed (and then needs to be partially disassembled as we don't have power tilt wheels).

The actual parts needed for the mod, if people do want to do it:

- ML3Z-3F791-BB (SCCM)
- ML3Z-3600-RA (steering wheel)
- W721079-S437 (steering wheel bolt)
- WPT-404 (wire harness for power)

Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I believe you also need a terminal as well, PN WT1030. I would also be clear that the above parts don’t include new hvac climate controls to have a physical button to enable the heat. However at least on the ICE trucks you can enable a climate bar on the screen to enable the heated steering wheel option. I haven’t tried this yet to confirm if it’s possible on our lightnings though.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I believe you also need a terminal as well, PN WT1030. I would also be clear that the above parts don’t include new hvac climate controls to have a physical button to enable the heat. However at least on the ICE trucks you can enable a climate bar on the screen to enable the heated steering wheel option. I haven’t tried this yet to confirm if it’s possible on our lightnings though.
This is correct, I thought it was just a female quick disconnect but may actually be a little more unique.

I'm avoiding the HVAC piece because it includes Ventilated seats and omits heated mirror button. A soft button on my display would've been more than enough (since the HSW will automatically come on with Pre-Conditioning/Remote Start).

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I need to find the part number but there is an option without it too. Just haven’t looked up the vin.

4EEB7D4F-51B8-498C-B3AA-458735B920E7.png
Either way, swapping the HVAC control is optional and not necessary for the mod. It adds $100-$200 to the cost too.

Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Has anyone confirmed that the software button option will work on the lightnings?
I have not but believe this is the value to change. You may need to change the value as this was for an ICE F150.

Ford F-150 Lightning Leather Steering wheel Mod on Pro - Help! IMG_4272

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I have not but believe this is the value to change. You may need to change the value as this was for an ICE F150.

IMG_4272.jpeg
From the forscan settings I've seen I don't know that that would work. My module has an A in that spot, which also means that it is stating that I have a heated steering wheel. I think the problem is that there is no climate screen I can access on my truck, it is all done through the controls under the screen.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
From the forscan settings I've seen I don't know that that would work. My module has an A in that spot, which also means that it is stating that I have a heated steering wheel. I think the problem is that there is no climate screen I can access on my truck, it is all done through the controls under the screen.
You can still change the A to the numerical value. Also, I think there is a (slightly hidden) climate screen, just not an easy way to get to it. I believe by pushing one (or some) of the hardware buttons, a pop up appears on the screen that shows you the Heated Steering Wheel option.

I haven't done the mod, and no longer plan on doing it (cost vs benefit analysis). I'm just speaking from memory of making climate adjustments and APIM adjustments on my previous F-150.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
You can still change the A to the numerical value. Also, I think there is a (slightly hidden) climate screen, just not an easy way to get to it. I believe by pushing one (or some) of the hardware buttons, a pop up appears on the screen that shows you the Heated Steering Wheel option.

I haven't done the mod, and no longer plan on doing it (cost vs benefit analysis). I'm just speaking from memory of making climate adjustments and APIM adjustments on my previous F-150.
That I'll have to check on. My HVAC setting of A should show my truck as having a heated wheel (although I didn't make the change so I'm not sure why it is like that). I'll see if I can find the way to access the climate screen, thanks!

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
That I'll have to check on. My HVAC setting of A should show my truck as having a heated wheel (although I didn't make the change so I'm not sure why it is like that). I'll see if I can find the way to access the climate screen, thanks!
Your truck recognizing that you have a heated steering wheel, and having it show up on the UI may be 2 different things.
Sponsored