• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lifting vs Lowering and effect on Range

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
When my truck arrives I'm considering leveling my truck. I'm not partial to lowering or lifting, either are fine in regards to leveling.

Having an SR though, I am curious...which would be a bigger detriment to range: leveling by raising the front, or leveling by lowering the back?

Having only 240mi of range means just has me pondering these types of things as I try to preserve as much of that as possible.

I would be keeping stock tires/rims.

One thing that has been hard (in regards to figuring out range aspect), is everyone that has lowered/lifted has also changed tires (and wheel swaps have a big range impact). That has made the comparison hard...
Sponsored

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Being closer to the ground is inherently more aerodynamic. That said, you can never be sure how it will impact range. My uninformed guess is that lifting the front to level will lower range a small amount while dropping the rear to level will keep it the same. Maybe marginally increase range. It's so hard to know for sure without better testing. Some guy on the internet driving around town and reporting back has way too many variables to trust.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Being closer to the ground is inherently more aerodynamic. That said, you can never be sure how it will impact range. My uninformed guess is that lifting the front to level will lower range a small amount while dropping the rear to level will keep it the same. Maybe marginally increase range. It's so hard to know for sure without better testing. Some guy on the internet driving around town and reporting back has way too many variables to trust.
Yup, I would expect the same.

DevonD

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 340i, 19 F150 Ecoboost, Lightning Platinum
Rivians have conserve mode that lowers the truck to the point that the half shafts are level with the ground. Apparently the trucks will go lower but the straighter the half shafts are, the less resistance there is. I’d assume the same would apply to the lightning. Lowering will be more efficient

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
Bumping this topic. I’d like to know the range hit for just a front level lift with stock tires.

Sponsored

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA Sportage PHEV/2022 Aprilia Tuareg
Lowering should help a bit.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have found that lifting has very minimal effect on range. Tires have affected range more than the lift. If I had to put them in order:

1. Tires
2. Wheels (offset/design)
3. Lift

I agree that lowering might increase range

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have found that lifting has very minimal effect on range. Tires have affected range more than the lift. If I had to put them in order:

1. Tires
3. Lift

Of course off of that depends on how much you do. A 12" lift will certainly have a big impact on range!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Of course off of that depends on how much you do. A 12" lift will certainly have a big impact on range!
lol possibly. But with the 2.6 up front with stock wheels and tires the impact has been minimal 0.1 at most.

s3254

First Name
ISAAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FORD LIGHTNING
Bumping this topic. I’d like to know the range hit for just a front level lift with stock tires.
I leveled my 2022 Lariat and I got 320 to 330 range of course its based on your driving habits, also Ford Dealer needs to recalibrate your front sensors since you will be 2 inches higher than factory hight ..just my input

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer

1. Tires
3. Lift

10000% agree. My 2" level did nothing noticable to range... The Nitto Recon Grapplers (34x11.5)... definitely took down the range though... 15% (or more) loss of range. Depends on how fast you are driving.
Sponsored