• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Hmm, front seems to be the same part number (18124) on an SR truck, though they do mention Traction Battery #1. Rear is a different number (AST86081 for ER and AST86082 for SR).

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning suspension comparison to current F-150? 1658956286578

Also, I can't believe how cheap even the MSRP is on these parts - the whole assembly! And you can get them next day!

81MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4runner
Interesting that the platinum gets stiffer springs, is it really that much heavier than a Lariat ER? I am actually planning to stiffen the front springs and shocks on mine, with bilstein 6112 coilovers that come with stiffer springs and ride height adjustment. Made for ICE F150's but we know they will fit.
Bilstein 47-323841 Bilstein B8 6112 Suspension Kits | Summit Racing
bsn-47-323841_fs_xl.jpg
It is a bit heavier as I recall, but I wonder if the wheels and wheel size have anything to do with it. I believe the both additional weight but moreso wheel size is why the Platinumhas less range than a Lariat
Please post how the bilsteins change the Lightning ride.
The 6112 have been on my PowerBoost wish list.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's a video on the 6112. It's not Lightning specific, but it's something. It is marketed primarily as an off road strut. I think @Stage3Motorsports is a sponsor here.

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I installed a set of fox coilovers for the front, and it completely eliminated that floating feeling of the stock front end. I had a buddy ride along who has a 13th gen F150, and he couldn't believe how it was handling!

I highly recommend it, and it's also a quick and easy swap since it's a coilover that's preloaded already from factory.

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...ake=Ford&model=F-150&year=2021&position=Front

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I know of both brands, but am not a student of truck suspension. Are both, Bilstein and Fox somewhat comparable? Perhaps just a brand comparison - which do you like best? It sounds like the Bilsteins also include a height adjustment up to 2" or are they saying they support a lift up to 2" above factory ride height?

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
I know of both brands, but am not a student of truck suspension. Are both, Bilstein and Fox somewhat comparable? Perhaps just a brand comparison - which do you like best? It sounds like the Bilsteins also include a height adjustment up to 2" or are they saying they support a lift up to 2" above factory ride height?
The Fox coilover has height adjustment also. Both replace the factory spring with a stiffer unit, and increase the damping/shock control. They also make shocks without the springs, that have height adjustment, re-using the stock springs. That may be enough to solve the buick float on some roads.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Both Bilstein and Fox are pretty well respected brands, and neither of them makes "junk" but they both have a wide range of products. I'm also curious to know which might be the better choice here. I am leaning towards the Fox since the 6112 seems to be mostly targeted at off road and I found the Bilstein 5100s on my Tacoma to ride very harshly FWIW. On the other hand my Miata's suspension is based on Bilstein dampers with different valving. It handles very well and is still very comfortable.
Sponsored